Testing voltage regulation of MC7805 using active load

In summary, the conversation discusses an active load that changes resistance based on a controlling signal. It is switched on and off using a square wave and the resistance is assumed to be 0Ω when conducting. The task is to determine the resistance and voltage at TP25 when the active load is on and off, and the current flowing through the active load when the MC7805 is operating normally. The solution involves the BJT being active and having a resistance of R18 when the active load is on, and the BJT being in cutoff and having an infinite resistance when the active load is off. The voltage at TP25 would be 5V when the active load is on and 0V when it is off.
peripatein

Homework Statement

The attachment depicts an active load (to the right is the equivalent circuit). It is called thus because this load (measured from TP27) changes its resistance according to the controlling signal connected to TP25. The load is switched “on” (minimum resistance) and “off” (maximum resistance) using a square wave, 0...5V/1KHz/20%D.C. I may assume that Q4’s resistance, when conducting, is roughly 0Ω.
I am asked to determine the active load’s resistance and the voltage in TP25 when the active load is “on”/"off". Also, if the MC7805 operates normally, what is the current flowing through the active load?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that when the active load is switched "on" the BJT is active and the resistance is R18. The voltage in TP25 would be 5V and the current, 5/R18. When the active load is switched "off" the BJT is in cutoff and the resistance would be infinite (hence current would be zero). The voltage in TP25 would be 0V.
Is that correct?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
Correct.

Aside: I know they told you that when the transistor is ON it's resistance can be assumed to be zero but as an exercise perhaps check what the minimum gain has to be to ensure the transistor is fully ON.

1. How do I test the voltage regulation of MC7805 using an active load?

To test the voltage regulation of MC7805 using an active load, you will need to connect the active load to the output of the MC7805 and measure the voltage using a multimeter. Make sure to set the active load to the desired current and measure the output voltage at different load levels to determine the voltage regulation.

2. What is an active load and why is it used in testing voltage regulation?

An active load is a device that mimics the behavior of a real load on a power supply. It is used in testing voltage regulation because it allows for a controlled and consistent load to be applied to the power supply, allowing for accurate measurement of the voltage regulation.

3. What is the purpose of testing voltage regulation in a power supply?

The purpose of testing voltage regulation in a power supply is to determine how well the power supply can maintain a stable output voltage under varying load conditions. This is important for ensuring that the power supply can provide a consistent and reliable power source for electronic devices.

4. Can I use any active load to test voltage regulation, or do I need a specific type?

It is recommended to use an active load that is designed for testing voltage regulation, as it will have the necessary features and capabilities. However, you can also use a programmable power supply as an active load by setting it to the desired load levels and measuring the output voltage.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when testing voltage regulation with an active load?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with electricity and power supplies. Make sure to use insulated tools and wear protective gear, and always disconnect the power supply before making any adjustments or measurements. It is also recommended to have a circuit breaker or fuse in line with the power supply to prevent any potential accidents.