Textbook of "introduction to mathematical thinking"

In summary, the conversation suggests a few recommended textbooks for self-studying introduction to mathematical thinking, proofs, and analysis. The books mentioned are "How to Study as a Mathematics Major" by Lara Alcock, "Book of Proof" by Richard Hammack, and "How to Think about Analysis" also by Lara Alcock. It is also suggested to revisit and review earlier mathematical content in order to improve understanding and proficiency in writing proofs.
Mathsway
Hi everyone
I was wondering does anyone know any good first year undergraduate textbook of 'introduction to mathematical thinking' for self-studying ? thks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest going through these books in order to get a nice introduction to mathematical thinking, proofs and analysis (which is a revisit of calculus but through the eyes of a mathematician as opposed to someone who might be learning calculus as a tool to solve problems, like an engineer or physicist.)

How to Study as a Mathematics Major, Lara Alcock
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199661316/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Book of Proof, Richard Hammack (free, frequently recommended for 1st year undergrads and has solutions available for self study)
http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/

How to Think about Analysis, Lara Alcock
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198723539/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
hi ibkev
Thank you for the quick reply. I will certainly check it out.

:oldsmile::thumbup:

Likes ibkev
Best way, is to due to many proofs.

Try to revisit earlier mathematical content. This is great for two reasons.

(1)Great review of older material. Helps with the eventual GRE. You will find out how much information was not understood the first time.
(2)Since the material is something you are familiar with, you will have easier time reading, and writing proofs of something known.

I learned to read and write proofs from: Reading all of my textbooks throughout my education. Engage the textbook!
I re learned geometry from: Geometry: Moise/Downs, restudied Linear Algebra from Anton( reading, doing, and doing the proofs on my own). I later moved into more advance material.

I cannot stress the trying and doing proofs enough.

The explanation that Moise gives for Existence and Uniqueness is very GOOD. It was something I did not grasp until reading this basic, but good book.

1. What is the purpose of this textbook?

This textbook serves as an introduction to mathematical thinking, providing a foundation for understanding and using mathematical concepts in various fields of study.

2. What topics are covered in this textbook?

This textbook covers a wide range of topics, including logic, sets, functions, relations, number theory, and proof techniques. It also includes various examples and exercises to help readers apply the concepts learned.

3. Is this textbook suitable for beginners?

Yes, this textbook is designed for individuals who have little to no background in mathematics. It starts with basic concepts and gradually builds upon them, making it accessible for beginners.

4. Can this textbook be used for self-study?

Yes, this textbook can be used for self-study. It is written in a clear and concise manner, with step-by-step explanations and numerous practice problems for readers to work through on their own.

5. How does this textbook help develop critical thinking skills?

This textbook focuses on teaching readers how to think like a mathematician, emphasizing problem-solving and logical reasoning. By practicing these skills, readers can improve their critical thinking abilities and apply them to various real-world situations.