Textbooks or articles as an introduction to superconductors

In summary, these are some recommended resources for someone looking to learn more about superconductors:-Ashcroft and Mermin's superconductivity chapter in their solid state physics book-Tinkham's book-Annett
Wrynn
Hi,

As an Undergraduate student I'm looking for some textbooks and/or articles as an introduction to superconductors. I have a homework to do as final project not exactly in this field but related. and I would like to understand what exactly is a superconductor as well as use those textbooks and articles as references.

I read a lot of good things about Introduction to Superconductivity by Michael Tinkham, but is it a good entry for a newbie, does he shows some links with day to day applications?

I hope my question is clear.

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrynn said:
Hi,

As an Undergraduate student I'm looking for some textbooks and/or articles as an introduction to superconductors. I have a homework to do as final project not exactly in this field but related. and I would like to understand what exactly is a superconductor as well as use those textbooks and articles as references.

I read a lot of good things about Introduction to Superconductivity by Michael Tinkham, but is it a good entry for a newbie, does he shows some links with day to day applications?

I hope my question is clear.

Thank you for your help
I would start from Ashcroft and Mermin's superconductivity chapter in their solid state physics book and after that start reading Tinkham's book.

Likes Wrynn, yucheng and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
I think the chapter about superconductivity in the Feynman Lectures is a great starting point:

https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_21.html
That's how I got interested in superconductivity, when I discovered that equations in Sec. 21-8 look exactly like Bohmian equations of motion. :biggrin:

But I think the best introduction to superconductivity is Annett, mentioned by @caz above.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, Wrynn and yucheng
Thank you very much for all your suggestions.

1. What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that can conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, called the critical temperature. This means that electric current can flow through a superconductor without any loss of energy, making it highly efficient for use in various applications.

2. How do superconductors work?

Superconductors work by allowing electrons to move through the material without any resistance. This is achieved by pairing up electrons in a way that allows them to move freely without colliding with other particles. This pairing is made possible by the low temperature, which causes the atoms in the material to vibrate less, creating a more orderly environment for the electrons.

3. What are some practical applications of superconductors?

Superconductors have a wide range of practical applications, including in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines, high-speed trains, and power transmission cables. They are also used in scientific research, such as in particle accelerators, and have potential uses in quantum computing and energy storage.

4. What are the challenges in using superconductors?

One of the main challenges in using superconductors is the need for extremely low temperatures, often below -200 degrees Celsius, which can be costly and difficult to maintain. Another challenge is the brittleness of some superconducting materials, which can make them challenging to work with and limit their use in certain applications.

5. How do textbooks or articles serve as an introduction to superconductors?

Textbooks and articles provide a comprehensive overview of the principles and applications of superconductors. They cover topics such as the history of superconductivity, the different types of superconductors, and the latest research and developments in the field. They also often include diagrams, illustrations, and real-world examples to help readers understand the concepts better.