Textbook Recommendations for Thermodynamics

In summary: Course of Theoretical Physics, by Landau and Lifshitz, titled "Statistical Physics," which are classics in the field.In summary, there are many great thermodynamics textbooks to choose from, with different perspectives and approaches depending on your interests and level of understanding. Some recommended books include Callen - Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics, Reif - Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermophysics, Becker - Theory of Heat, Pippard - Classical Thermodynamics, Slater - Chemical Physics, Goodstein - States of Matter, Waldram - The Theory of Thermodynamics, and Fermi - Thermodynamics. Other notable mentions are Ralph Baierlein's Thermal Physics and Landafshitz Volume 5. It is important
EnricoHendro
Hello there,
Can anybody recommend me a good thermodynamics textbook? I prefer the ones that have a deep or complete (if possible) discussion about the theoretical aspect of thermodynamics, and the mathematical aspect as well.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The classic physics texts are
Callen Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics
Reif Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermophysics

I have also enjoyed
Becker Theory of Heat
Pippard Classical Thermodynamics
Slater Chemical Physics
Goodstein States of Matter
Waldram The theory of Thermodynamics
Fermi Thermodynamics

Physics, Chemistry and Engineering all approach the topic from different perspectives.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, TSny and EnricoHendro
I'll add Ralph Baierlein, Thermal Physics.

Likes EnricoHendro
What about the Landafshitz volume 5?

Likes hutchphd and EnricoHendro
I'd say the top two undergraduate engineering texts are:
Moran, Shapiro - Fundamentals of engineering thermodynamics
Cengel, Boles - thermodynamics

I'd also second Callen - Thermodynamics and statics

Some others that are a little more focused on stat mech / thermal physics:

Gould, Tobochnik - Statistical and Thermal physics
Kittel, Kroemer - Thermal Physics
Schroeder - Intro to thermal
Reif

Likes EnricoHendro
onatirec said:
I'd say the top two undergraduate engineering texts are:
Moran, Shapiro - Fundamentals of engineering thermodynamics
Cengel, Boles - thermodynamics

I'd also second Callen - Thermodynamics and statics

Some others that are a little more focused on stat mech / thermal physics:

Gould, Tobochnik - Statistical and Thermal physics
Kittel, Kroemer - Thermal Physics
Schroeder - Intro to thermal
Reif
I see, thank you for your recommendation. I'm more interested in the ones that focus more on the physics ones, so maybe I'll give the thermal physics one.

DrClaude said:
I'll add Ralph Baierlein, Thermal Physics.
does this book also come with the solution manual to help a self-taught learner like me?

caz said:
The classic physics texts are
Callen Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics
Reif Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermophysics

I have also enjoyed
Becker Theory of Heat
Pippard Classical Thermodynamics
Slater Chemical Physics
Goodstein States of Matter
Waldram The theory of Thermodynamics
Fermi Thermodynamics

Physics, Chemistry and Engineering all approach the topic from different perspectives.
from those lists you gave me, which should I read first?

EnricoHendro said:
does this book also come with the solution manual to help a self-taught learner like me?
You may want to move away from solutions at this point. They do more harm than good in the long run. Especially with a class such as thermal dynamics that is not the introductory physics sequence...

Likes EnricoHendro
EnricoHendro said:
from those lists you gave me, which should I read first?
Everyone thinks there is a best book. I think there is a best book FOR YOU. You need to look at the books and find the ones that speak to you. That being said.

I would start with Fermi. It is a short quick read. Use it to get an idea of the field.
Take a look at Callen, Reif, Becker, Pippard, Baierlein and Waldram (and books recommended by others). See which one speaks to you and spend some serious time with it.
Reread Fermi. You will now be able to appreciate some of the subtleties.
If you want to continue, pick another from the list which now includes Slater and Goodstein.

Last edited:
Likes EnricoHendro
caz said:
Everyone thinks there is a best book. I think there is a best book FOR YOU. You need to look at the books and find the ones that speak to you. That being said.

I would start with Fermi. It is a short quick read. Use it to get an idea of the field.
Take a look at Callen, Reif, Becker, Pippard, Baierlein and Waldram (and books recommended by others). See which one speaks to you and spend some serious time with it.
Reread Fermi. You will now be able to appreciate some of the subtleties.
If you want to continue, pick another from the list which now includes Slater and Goodstein.
I see. okay, I would take a look at the books and see which suits me well. Thank you

fluidistic said:
What about the Landafshitz volume 5?
That's among the best of all thermo/stat texts. Also note vols. IX and X

• Informative
Likes EnricoHendro and fluidistic

1. What are the best textbooks for learning thermodynamics?

The best textbooks for learning thermodynamics depend on your level of understanding and the specific focus of your studies. Some popular options include "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles, "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran et al., and "Thermodynamics: Concepts and Applications" by Stephen R. Turns.

2. Are there any textbooks that focus specifically on thermodynamics in chemistry?

Yes, there are several textbooks that focus specifically on thermodynamics in chemistry. Some examples include "Thermodynamics in Materials Science" by Robert DeHoff, "Thermodynamics: Principles and Applications" by Elias P. Gyftopoulos and Gian Paolo Beretta, and "Thermodynamics of Materials" by David R. Gaskell.

3. What are some good textbooks for beginners in thermodynamics?

For beginners, some good textbooks to consider are "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles, "Thermodynamics: Concepts and Applications" by Stephen R. Turns, and "Introduction to Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer" by Yunus A. Cengel.

4. Are there any textbooks that cover both classical and statistical thermodynamics?

Yes, there are textbooks that cover both classical and statistical thermodynamics. Some examples include "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles, "Thermodynamics: Concepts and Applications" by Stephen R. Turns, and "Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Daniel V. Schroeder.

5. What are some recommended textbooks for advanced studies in thermodynamics?

For advanced studies, some recommended textbooks are "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles, "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics" by Herbert B. Callen, and "Statistical Thermodynamics" by Erwin Schrödinger.