Textbook to Precede Physics of Semiconductor Devices (Sze)

In summary: It's very practical and easy to follow. Overall, definitely check out the VLSI design textbook list on the VLSI design subreddit for more recommendations.In summary, the conversation discusses the recommendation of a textbook on Physics of Semiconductor Devices for a module on VLSI design, but the person finds it overwhelming and not suitable for their background in Electronic Engineering. They ask for suggestions for other textbooks and are directed to a Google search for Semiconductor Physics textbooks for VLSI design, as well as recommendations from other users. The conversation also mentions the book "CMOS VLSI Design" as a practical and easy to follow option.
fonz
I was recommended to read Physics of Semiconductor Devices by Sze which I was told was the standard textbook for the subject. My background is Electronic Engineering and not physics. After reading the first few pages of the first chapter I am completely overwelmed. I can't make sense of the discussion on crystal structures, lattice notation etc. It then goes on to talk about energy-momentum relationship and band gap by introducing the wavefunction.

I am using this textbook for a module on VLSI design but I feel like this book is for physicists and not engineers. This clearly is not the right textbook for me but there is nothing in the Preface or Introduction that suggests what should precede this. I would be interested to hear any suggestions

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:

Thanks for the response. There are a lot of options to choose from and I'm going to have a look in more detail. It's disappointing that the so called standard text doesn't introduce the subject at a more fundamental level.

If you're looking to a super basic intro to solid state, Oxford solid state basics is the best undergrad-level intro text I've found. Kittel if you want more math. For semiconductor circuit design, I recommend "CMOS VLSI Design" by Weste and Harris.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of the textbook "Physics of Semiconductor Devices" by Sze?

The purpose of the textbook is to provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the physics behind semiconductor devices, including their principles, operation, and applications.

2. What topics are covered in the textbook?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics including semiconductor materials, p-n junctions, bipolar junction transistors, field-effect transistors, optoelectronic devices, and integrated circuits.

3. Is the textbook suitable for beginners?

While the textbook does cover fundamental concepts, it is primarily designed for students with a background in physics and mathematics. It may be challenging for beginners without a strong foundation in these subjects.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using this textbook?

Basic knowledge of calculus, differential equations, and solid state physics is recommended for understanding the material in this textbook.

5. Does the textbook include practical examples and problems?

Yes, the textbook includes numerous examples and end-of-chapter problems to help students apply the concepts learned and test their understanding of the material.