Optics Textbook Recommendations

In summary, the conversation is about a junior course on optics and the search for a textbook to use. The prerequisites for the course are E&M (Griffiths level), classical mechanics (Morin level), and multivariable calculus. Various recommendations for textbooks are given, including Hecht, Kenyon, Born&Wolf, and a free alternative available online. The conversation also includes a note about not relying too heavily on a textbook recommended by the professor and a recommendation for Hecht from someone who had him as a professor. It is suggested that Born&Wolf may be too advanced for a junior course.
PManslaughter
I'm taking a junior course on optics. The professor said it would be up to us to find a textbook to use. For this course the prerequisites are E&M (Griffiths level), classical mechanics (Morin level), and multivariable calculus.

Anyone have recommendations on a textbook for this class?
Course description:
"An introduction to physics of light. Topics covered include: electromagnetic waves, propagation of light; the Huygens and Fermat's principles; Geometrical optics and optical instruments; Interference of waves and diffraction; Polarization; Introduction to photons, lasers and optical fibers."

Physics news on Phys.org
Hecht is rather popular.

Perhaps it's too advanced, but Born&Wolf is just great!

A free alternative is available here:

https://optics.byu.edu/textbook

It has a math review at the beginning, and is targeted at a senior undergraduate level. I'm an author of the book, so I can't give unbiased assessment of the material (but I have no financial interest as we allow free use). We try to give clear derivations and examples and regularly update the book.

M. Ware

Likes jeeves, yucheng and vanhees71
For what it's worth, if your professor is telling you to figure out your own textbook, you (hopefully! assuming your professor isn't evil) shouldn't be relying on it that much. So you may be looking for a reference book rather than a read-cover-to-cover textbook. For that I recommend Hecht. It's quite verbose, but it's all there and it's not hard to read. I believe the newest edition is heavily trimmed down from its predecessors, but I haven't read the latest edition.
Full disclosure: I'm biased because I had Hecht as a professor, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.
I don't recommend Born and Wolf for a junior level course. It'll likely just seem to be speaking a different language from your lectures.

Born and Wolf is aimed at a hugh-level audience.
I'd choose Hecht; perhaps a bit old but still useful.

What are the key factors to consider when choosing an optics textbook?

There are several important factors to consider when choosing an optics textbook. These include the level of the textbook (introductory, intermediate, advanced), the specific topics covered, the clarity and organization of the text, the level of mathematical rigor, and any additional learning resources (such as online simulations or practice problems) that may be included.

What are some highly recommended introductory optics textbooks?

Some highly recommended introductory optics textbooks include "Fundamentals of Optics" by Francis A. Jenkins and Harvey E. White, "Introduction to Optics" by Frank L. Pedrotti and Leno M. Pedrotti, and "Optics" by Eugene Hecht.

Are there any optics textbooks specifically designed for self-study?

Yes, there are several optics textbooks that are specifically designed for self-study. These include "Optics: Learning by Computing, with Examples Using Mathcad" by Karl Dieter Moeller, "Optics: Learning by Computing with Examples Using Maple, MathCad, Matlab, Mathematica, and Maple" by Karl Dieter Moeller, and "Optics: Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Volume 4" by Arnold Sommerfeld.

What are some recommended optics textbooks for advanced studies?

Some recommended optics textbooks for advanced studies include "Principles of Optics: Electromagnetic Theory of Propagation, Interference and Diffraction of Light" by Max Born and Emil Wolf, "Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics" by Leonard Mandel and Emil Wolf, and "Nonlinear Optics" by Robert W. Boyd.

Are there any free online resources for optics textbooks?

Yes, there are several free online resources for optics textbooks. Some of these include "Optics for Engineers" by Charles S. Brown and "Optics and Photonics: An Introduction" by F. Graham Smith and Terry A. King, both of which are available through the National Science Digital Library. Additionally, many universities offer free online versions of their optics textbooks, such as "Applied Optics" by Jeffrey A. Davis, Maria L. Calvo, and Mark A. Yoder from the University of Central Florida.