The 1100 kg mass of a car includes four tires

In summary: The ground does not exert a force on the car and the linear speed of the car is related to the rate of rotation of the tires. The mass of the tires is not included in the total mass of the car when applying the equation F = ma.
hitemup

Homework Statement

The 1100 kg mass of a car includes four tires, each of mass (including wheels) 35 kg and diameter 0.80 m. Assume each tire and wheel combination acts as a solid cylinder.
If the car is initially at rest and is then pulled by a tow truck with a force of 1500 N, what is the acceleration of the car?

Homework Equations

[/B]
F = ma
T = I*alpha
I = 1/2*m*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
It is apparent that doing acc = 1500/1100 leads to a wrong result. We must consider the tires and their accelerations. But I don't know how I can combine "ma" with "I*alpha" in the same equation, to solve for "a".

Physics news on Phys.org
hitemup said:
diameter 0.80 m
This bit of information, and the following bit
hitemup said:
T = I*alpha
if put together correctly should help you.

Is the speed of the car not related to the rotational speed of the wheels?

Bystander said:
This bit of information, and the following bit

if put together correctly should help you.

Yes the right hand side of that equation(T = I*alpha) is known, but I don't think the left side can be calculated simply by F*r. Is it the whole force that contributes to torque of a tire?

hitemup said:
whole force that contributes to torque of a tire?
The angular moment of inertia resists the acceleration.

Have you done a free body diagram on the car? How is the rate of rotation of the tires related to the linear speed of the car? Have you at least included the mass of the tires in the overall mass m of the car when applying F = ma.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Have you done a free body diagram on the car? Is the ground exerting a force on the car? How is the rate of rotation of the tires related to the linear speed of the car? Have you at least included the mass of the tires in the overall mass m of the car when applying F = ma.

Chet

1. How much does each tire weigh?

The weight of each tire cannot be determined without knowing the specific type and brand of tires being used. However, on average, a car tire can weigh between 20-40 pounds.

2. Does the weight of the tires affect the overall weight of the car?

Yes, the weight of the tires is included in the overall weight of the car. The 1100 kg weight of the car includes the weight of all four tires.

3. Why is the weight of the tires included in the weight of the car?

The weight of the tires is included in the weight of the car because they are an integral part of the vehicle and are necessary for it to function. The weight of the tires affects the overall performance and handling of the car, so it is important to include them in the total weight.

4. How does the weight of the tires affect the fuel efficiency of the car?

The weight of the tires can affect the fuel efficiency of the car. Heavier tires can increase the rolling resistance, which means the engine has to work harder to move the car, resulting in more fuel consumption. However, the effect of tire weight on fuel efficiency is relatively small compared to other factors such as aerodynamics and engine size.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the weight of the tires?

The weight of the tires can affect the safety of the car in certain situations. Heavier tires can increase the stopping distance of the car and may also affect its handling and stability. It is important to ensure that the tires are properly inflated and have appropriate tread depth to ensure optimal safety on the road.