The arclength of a parametrized segment (integration).

In summary, to find the arclength of the parametrized segment from two points p and q in ℝ^n, we use the formula (20.3) which states that the arclength is given by the integral of the norm of the derivative of the parametrized path. We can define the path as \gamma:[0,1]→ℝ^n with \gamma (t) = tq + 1(1 - t)p for t \in [0, 1]. By calculating |\gamma'(t)| and integrating over [0, 1], we can obtain the arclength ||p-q|| as the final result.
Yami

Homework Statement

For two points p and q in ℝ^n, use the formula (20.3) to check that the arclength of the parametrized segment from p to q is ||p - q||.

Homework Equations

Formula (20.3):
A smooth parametrized path [tex]\gamma: [a, b]→ℝ^n[/tex]is rectifiable, and its arclength l is given by
[tex]l = \int_{a}^{b}||\gamma '||[/tex]

Norm of a point x = (x_1, ... , x_n) in ℝ^n is defined in this book as
[tex]||x|| = \sqrt{x_1^2 + ... + x_n^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\gamma: [q, p]→ℝ^n[/tex]
is defined as
[tex]\gamma (t) = (\gamma _1 (t), \gamma _2 (t), ... , \gamma _n (t))[/tex]
[tex]t \in [q, p][/tex]
then
[tex]\gamma '(t) = (\gamma _1 '(t), ... , \gamma _n '(t))[/tex]
[tex]||\gamma '(t)|| = \sqrt{(\gamma _1 '(t))^2+ ... + (\gamma _n '(t))^2}[/tex]

[tex]l = \int_{q}^{p} \sqrt{(\gamma _1 '(t))^2+ ... + (\gamma _n '(t))^2} dt [/tex]

I can't figure out how to integrate this though to get to ||p - q||.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to write out the actual parameterization. Start with ##p=(p_1,p_2,...,p_n)## and ##q = (q_1,q_2,...q_n)##. Write out the parameterization of the line pq and work out the integral.

I just realized p and q are in ##ℝ^n##. So [p, q] isn't an interval I can integrate over.
I just found the equation I should probably use: ##\gamma:[0,1]→ℝ^n## defined as ##\gamma (t) = tq + 1(1 - t)p## for ##t \in [0, 1]##.
Thanks for the hint.

Yami said:
I just realized p and q are in ##ℝ^n##. So [p, q] isn't an interval I can integrate over.
I just found the equation I should probably use: ##\gamma:[0,1]→ℝ^n## defined as ##\gamma (t) = tq + 1(1 - t)p## for ##t \in [0, 1]##.
Thanks for the hint.

Good start. Now calculate ##|\gamma'(t)|## and work out the ##t## integral. You can do it by components or work at this level.

1. What is the definition of arclength for a parametrized segment?

The arclength of a parametrized segment is the length of the curve traced out by the parametric equations. It is calculated by taking the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the parametric equations with respect to the parameter.

2. How is the arclength of a parametrized segment calculated?

The arclength is calculated by taking the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the parametric equations with respect to the parameter. This integral can be evaluated using various integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the difference between arclength and arc distance?

Arclength refers to the actual length of the curve traced out by the parametric equations, while arc distance is the distance between two points on the curve. The arc distance is usually calculated by finding the shortest distance between the two points on the curve, whereas the arclength takes into account the curvature of the curve.

4. Can the arclength of a parametrized segment be negative?

No, the arclength of a parametrized segment cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents a physical length. A negative value would not make sense in this context.

5. How is the arclength of a parametrized segment used in real-life applications?

The concept of arclength is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can be used to calculate the distance traveled by an object along a curved path, the length of a cable or wire, or the shape of a curve in a 3D environment. It is also used in optimization problems to find the shortest path between two points on a curved surface.