The convergence of a numerical series

In summary: So you cannot conclude anything from ##\approx##, you need something stronger. In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of absolute convergence and the logic behind determining whether a series converges or not. The speaker provides a solution to an exercise involving a series and explains that saying the terms are asymptotically equal is not enough to determine convergence. A rigorous proof using inequalities is needed instead. The person asking the question expresses their understanding of the concept but wants to know where their logic in solving the exercise went wrong.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
Look at the image
Relevant Equations
Absolute convergence.
Greetings
here is the exercice
1629802637709.png

My solution was
as n^2+n+1/(n+1) tends asymptotically to n then the entire stuffs inside the sinus function tends to npi which make it asymptotically equal to sin(npi) which is equal to 0 and consequently the sequence is Absolutely convergent

Here is the solution of the book
1629802909490.png

1629802963524.png

I do unsderstand it very well but I need to know where my logics has failed me in my attempt
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
To say that the terms are asymptotically equal to something does not say enough. It doesn't say how fast it approaches that limit. For instance, ##\sum{1/n}## doesn't converge even though ##1/n## approaches 0 asymptotically.

Likes Amaelle and Orodruin
You can make the non-convergence rigorous by using the inequality [tex]
\sin x > \frac{2}{\pi} x, \qquad 0 < x < \frac\pi 2.[/tex] Then [tex]\sum_{n=0}^N \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{n+1}\right) > \sin\left(\frac{\pi}1\right) + \sum_{n=1}^N \frac{2}{n+1} = 2\sum_{n=2}^{N+1} \frac 1n[/tex] which diverges.

Likes Amaelle
Amaelle said:
Homework Statement:: Look at the image
Relevant Equations:: Absolute convergence.

My solution was
as n^2+n+1/(n+1)
You need more parentheses here. Taken literally, the above means
##n^2 + n + \frac 1{n + 1}##, which you surely didn't intend.
If you don't use Tex, it should be written as (n^2 + n + 1)/(n + 1).

Likes Amaelle
FactChecker said:
To say that the terms are asymptotically equal to something does not say enough. It doesn't say how fast it approaches that limit. For instance, ##\sum{1/n}## doesn't converge even though ##1/n## approaches 0 asymptotically.

I wanted to say as
sin[pi*((n^2+n+1)/(n+1)]≈sin[pi*((n^2)/(n)]≈sin[pi(n)] and we know the serie ∑sin[pi(n)] converges SO IS MY SERIE

Once again, your "##\approx##" is not enough. It depends on how fast the terms on the left come close to the terms on the right. Consider ##1/n \approx 0## as ##n## gets large. But ##\sum{0}## converges while ##\sum{1/n}## diverges to ##+\infty##.

Likes Mark44

1. What is the definition of convergence in a numerical series?

The convergence of a numerical series refers to the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases. If the terms of the series get closer and closer to a specific value as the number of terms increases, then the series is said to converge.

2. How is the convergence of a numerical series determined?

The convergence of a numerical series can be determined by calculating the limit of the series as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite number, then the series is said to converge.

3. What is the difference between convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one that approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases, while a divergent series is one that does not approach a specific value and instead continues to increase or decrease without bound.

4. What are some common tests used to determine the convergence of a numerical series?

Some common tests used to determine the convergence of a numerical series include the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests compare the given series to a known convergent or divergent series to determine its behavior.

5. Why is it important to understand the convergence of numerical series?

Understanding the convergence of numerical series is important in many areas of science and mathematics, as it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the behavior of the series. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many real-world applications, such as in finance and engineering.