The deduction of Schrodinger equation, I'm stuck

In summary, the Schrodinger equation is a set of equations that describe the behavior of particles that are in a state of quantum uncertainty. It is based on the Helmholtz equation, which describes the behavior of particles in a state of equilibrium.
Joao
Hi everyone! Please, I'm trying to understand the Schrodinger equation, and I've understood it this far, which which is a miracle, hehehe:
(Laplacian)(psi) plus ((2phi)/h)^2.2m (E-V)(psi)

I know that hbar = h/(2phi)

But how that turns into

(Laplacian)(psi)+2m/(hbar)^2.(E-V)(psi)

My math isn't good enough... =( can someone please point me how it happened? =)

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Or, in other words, how this:
∇^2Ψ+{[2π/h]^2}.2m(E-V)ψ

Assuming

ħ=h/2π

Becomes

∇^2ψ+{2m/ħ^2}(E-V)Ψ

Sorry for the bad English! =)

Thanks!

Joao said:
I'm trying to understand the Schrodinger equation

It might help if you would give a reference for where you are getting this from. I'm not sure what you are writing down is a correct expression for the Schrodinger Equation.

Also, please use the PF LaTeX feature, it makes your equations much easier to read. See here for help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Likes vanhees71 and Joao
PeterDonis said:
It might help if you would give a reference for where you are getting this from. I'm not sure what you are writing down is a correct expression for the Schrodinger Equation.

Also, please use the PF LaTeX feature, it makes your equations much easier to read. See here for help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Thanks a lot! Sorry for the ugly equations!

I'm based on this YouTube video:

So, I'm starting with the Helmholtz equation:

$$∇^2Ψ+(\frac {2π} {υ})^2Ψ$$

And my goal is to the time independent Schrodinger equation

## - \frac {ħ^2} {2m} ∇^2 Ψ +VΨ = EΨ ##

Miraculously, I 've kind of understood until here:

##∇^2 + (\frac {2π} {h})^2 . 2m (E-V)Ψ ##

And I know that

## ħ= \frac {h} {2π} ##

But I don't understand how that turned into this:

## ∇^2Ψ + \frac {2m} {ħ^2} (E-V)Ψ ##

Please... Can someone please tell me what happened? I don't understand it... =(

Thanks and sorry again for my confusion on the first and second posts!

You must be missing something very very trivial, so trivial that it is very difficult to say what it is.

Likes Joao
Thanks everyone! I just woke and now I understood!

## ħ = \frac {h} {2π} ##
That is the same as h = ħ2π

Just substitute h for ħ2π in the first equation, cancel 2π, ^2 and multiply the 1 with 2m...

Sorry to bother. Thanks all, funny how a night of sleep changes one's perspective.

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71

Related to The deduction of Schrodinger equation, I'm stuck

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time.

2. Why is the Schrodinger equation important?

The Schrodinger equation allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems, such as the location and energy of particles. It is a cornerstone of modern physics and has been instrumental in the development of various technologies, including transistors and lasers.

3. How is the Schrodinger equation derived?

The Schrodinger equation was first proposed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926. He derived it using mathematical techniques from wave mechanics, which had been previously developed by French physicist Louis de Broglie.

4. What are some applications of the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation has a wide range of applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used in the study of atomic and molecular structures, quantum optics, and quantum computing. It is also used in fields such as solid-state physics and nuclear physics.

5. What can I do if I'm stuck understanding the deduction of the Schrodinger equation?

If you're having trouble understanding the deduction of the Schrodinger equation, it may be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online lectures, or consultation with a physics tutor. It can also be helpful to break down the equation into smaller parts and try to understand each component separately before putting it all together.