The difference between 1 mole of C and 1 molecule of C?

In summary: If C means the element carbon, then you cannot have molecules of C. You would need a C4 molecule or something.''1. Say, I start a thread and I receive some replies but still, I did not clear my concept and I waited for 24 hours but did not get any replies. Then I should use 'report' to get replies regarding that concept in the same thread?2. If C means the element carbon, then you cannot have molecules of C. You would need a C4 molecule or something.
Indranil
As we know, in the case of an atom, 1 mole of C = 6.023 X 10^23 C atoms and in the case of a molecule, 1 mole of C molecule = 6.023 X 10^23 molecules.
as we know, atoms are used to make molecules, So can I say 1 mole of C atoms make 1 molecule of C because what we get If we break 1 molecule of C I think the answer is 6.023 X 10^23 atoms. So can I say 1 mole of C is the same as 1 molecule of C? please point out where I am wrong above.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Stop posting half your questions here and half at CF, starting multiple threads. This way you won't move forward and you just combine all possible confusions from answers posted to different questions. Besides, seems like you ask the questions without reading the answers, as you repeat the same errors several times. As much as I wan't to help you I am more and more wondering if you are not just trolling.

Mole and molecule are completely different things. Molecule contains bonded atoms, mole doesn't. You were told multiple times mole is similar to dozen, it is just a collection of 6.02×1023 objects.

Likes russ_watters
Ok, thank you for pointing out my mistakes. Could you tell me please what to do myself If I am stuck or can't clear my concept in the same thread? will I keep asking different questions related to the same topic in the same thread until I clear my concept or start multiple threads? Please suggest me.

Keeping to one thread is typically much better. Not always, and it sometimes makes sense to start a new one when the old one drifted in a wrong direction (you can always ask Mentors whether it will be appropriate or whether they can clean up the thread from side discussions).

Borek said:
Keeping to one thread is typically much better. Not always, and it sometimes makes sense to start a new one when the old one drifted in a wrong direction (you can always ask Mentors whether it will be appropriate or whether they can clean up the thread from side discussions).
1. say, I start a thread and received some answers but did not clear my concept. I waited for 2 or 3 days for the replies to my question but did not get any replies. then what should I do? to start a new thread or to ask a mentor as you said above 'whether it will be appropriate...;
2. Where to ask the mentors?

Indranil said:
As we know, in the case of an atom, 1 mole of C = 6.023 X 10^23 C atoms and in the case of a molecule, 1 mole of C molecule = 6.023 X 10^23 molecules.

If C means the element carbon, then you cannot have molecules of C. You would need a C4 molecule or something.

Indranil said:
as we know, atoms are used to make molecules, So can I say 1 mole of C atoms make 1 molecule of C because what we get If we break 1 molecule of C I think the answer is 6.023 X 10^23 atoms.

No, not at all. Let's assume that we have 1 mole of CH4 molecules (also known as methane). One mole of methane contains one mole of carbon atoms and four moles of hydrogen atoms, because each individual molecule is composed of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms. Does that make sense?

Indranil said:
1. say, I start a thread and received some answers but did not clear my concept. I waited for 2 or 3 days for the replies to my question but did not get any replies. then what should I do? to start a new thread or to ask a mentor as you said above 'whether it will be appropriate...;

You can always bump a thread after 24h.

2. Where to ask the mentors?

Either using report function (link below a post) or sending a direct PM.

Borek said:
You can always bump a thread after 24h.
Either using report function (link below a post) or sending a direct PM.
Say, I post a thread and I received some replies but still, I did not clear my concept and I waited for 24 hours but did not get any replies. Should I use 'report' to get replies regarding that concept in the same thread or I will start a new thread?

Drakkith said:
If C means the element carbon, then you cannot have molecules of C. You would need a C4 molecule or something.
No, not at all. Let's assume that we have 1 mole of CH4 molecules (also known as methane). One mole of methane contains one mole of carbon atoms and four moles of hydrogen atoms because each individual molecule is composed of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms. Does that make sense?
1. ''Each individual molecule is composed of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms'' Here one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms mean 'one mole of carbon atoms and four moles of hydrogen atoms'?
2. Is it possible to get one molecule of C because you pointed earlier that 'If C means the element carbon, then you cannot have molecules of C. You would need a C4 molecule or something.'? Could you clarify it, please?

Indranil said:
Say, I post a thread and I received some replies but still, I did not clear my concept and I waited for 24 hours but did not get any replies. Should I use 'report' to get replies regarding that concept in the same thread or I will start a new thread?
Keep your discussions of a topic in one thread. Period. Do not "report" it and do not start a new thread. If you don't get any new replies after a couple of days, simply "bump" it by replying to one of the responses you got and saying what, specifically, you are still confused about.

Indranil said:
'Each individual molecule is composed of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms'' Here one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms mean 'one mole of carbon atoms and four moles of hydrogen atoms'?

No, individual molecule is made of individual atoms.

Indranil said:
Is it possible to get one molecule of C because you pointed earlier that 'If C means the element carbon, then you cannot have molecules of C. You would need a C4 molecule or something.'? Could you clarify it, please?

Molecule is made of several atoms. C is either a symbol of an element (and as such doesn't refer to neither atom or molecule) or a symbol of a C atom. In the latter case, as molecule is made of several atoms, just C is not a molecule, C2 or C3 would be.

Borek said:
No, individual molecule is made of individual atoms.
Molecule is made of several atoms. C is either a symbol of an element (and as such doesn't refer to neither atom or molecule) or a symbol of a C atom. In the latter case, as molecule is made of several atoms, just C is not a molecule, C2 or C3 would be.

1. 'Each individual molecule is composed of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms'' Here one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms mean 'one mole of carbon atoms and four moles of hydrogen atoms'?--------- Here one carbon atom means what? What should I consider 'one carbon atom''? one single carbon atom or one mole of carbon atoms and same question ''four single hydrogen atoms or four moles of hydrogen atoms. in the above context?

2.' Molecule is made of several atoms. C is either a symbol of an element (and as such doesn't refer to neither atom or molecule) or a symbol of a C atom. In the latter case, as molecule is made of several atoms, just C is not a molecule, C2 or C3 would be.'------------You said above that 'just C is not a molecule' but below in the rection
C + O2 = 2CO
Here in the reactants above, what should I consider 'C'? 'a molecule of C or what"

Indranil said:
Here one carbon atom means what? What should I consider 'one carbon atom''? one single carbon atom or one mole of carbon atoms and same question ''four single hydrogen atoms or four moles of hydrogen atoms. in the above context?

One carbon atom is exactly what it sounds like. A single carbon atom.

Indranil said:
You said above that 'just C is not a molecule' but below in the rection
C + O2 = 2CO
Here in the reactants above, what should I consider 'C'? 'a molecule of C or what"

It's a single atom of carbon.

One carbon atom is not a molecule. One carbon atom is not a mole of carbon. One carbon atom is not an element of carbon. Maybe someone like Borek will help clarify any distinction between Element and Atom.Graphite is made of carbon. Element? As a compound?

Indranil said:
1. 'Each individual molecule is composed of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms'' Here one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms mean 'one mole of carbon atoms and four moles of hydrogen atoms'?--------- Here one carbon atom means what? What should I consider 'one carbon atom''? one single carbon atom or one mole of carbon atoms and same question ''four single hydrogen atoms or four moles of hydrogen atoms. in the above context?
The wording says precisely what is meant. Nothing more, nothing less. If you, yourself are adding words, you are changing the meaning.

Indranil said:
as we know, atoms are used to make molecules, So can I say 1 mole of C atoms make 1 molecule of C because what we get If we break 1 molecule of C I think the answer is 6.023 X 10^23 atoms. So can I say 1 mole of C is the same as 1 molecule of C? please point out where I am wrong above.
In the case of e.g. a diamond, you could argue that a diamond of 12 grams is in fact a single macromolecule composed of 6 x 10^23 atoms of C. So you could say that 1 diamond molecule ##\mathrm{C_{6\times 10^{23}}}## equals 1 mole of C atoms. But take in mind that usually when speaking about solid elements and no other specification is made, when speaking of one mole of an element, we are referring to 1 mole of atoms of which the element is made up. In former times, in the case of elements, one used to speak of "gram-atoms" instead of moles, to make this distinction clearer. However, as, with the exception of radiological units, we decided to break with the babylonian tradition to use different units for apples and pears, in both cases mole is is used as a unit and it is left to the user to make clear whether he is referring to atoms or some kind of molecules.

Carbon in elemental state does not exist as a molecule,
So, now considering generally any single species formed by group of atoms then, you can call it a molecule(eg:methane, carbon dioxide, dioxygen etc..)
In case of mole, its the general term used to denote a group of avagadro number(N A =6.022 x 10^23 particles) of particles(which may be atoms, ions, or molecules)
so, 1 mole C contains 6.022 x 10^23 individual carbon atoms in it( its really huge quantity :p)

russ_watters said:
Keep your discussions of a topic in one thread. Period. Do not "report" it and do not start a new thread. If you don't get any new replies after a couple of days, simply "bump" it by replying to one of the responses you got and saying what, specifically, you are still confused about.
1. How many questions (including homework) should I ask for 24 hours?
2. Where to PM to any mentor If I want some help?

Indranil said:
1. How many questions (including homework) should I ask for 24 hours?
2. Where to PM to any mentor If I want some help?
Stop this. You are being dense, whether you know it or not.

Likes Indranil

1. What is the difference between a mole and a molecule?

A mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to express the amount of a substance. It is defined as the amount of a substance that contains 6.022 x 10^23 particles, which is known as Avogadro's number. A molecule, on the other hand, is a group of atoms bonded together. So, a molecule is a specific arrangement of atoms, while a mole is a measurement of the number of particles present.

2. How many atoms are in 1 mole of carbon?

1 mole of carbon contains 6.022 x 10^23 carbon atoms. This is equivalent to Avogadro's number, which is the number of particles in 1 mole of any substance.

3. Can 1 molecule of carbon exist?

Yes, 1 molecule of carbon can exist. A molecule is simply a group of atoms bonded together, and carbon atoms can bond with each other to form molecules such as carbon dioxide (CO2) or methane (CH4).

4. How is 1 mole of carbon different from 1 molecule of carbon?

The main difference between 1 mole of carbon and 1 molecule of carbon is the number of particles present. 1 mole of carbon contains 6.022 x 10^23 carbon atoms, while 1 molecule of carbon contains a specific arrangement of atoms bonded together. Additionally, a mole is a unit of measurement, while a molecule is a specific chemical structure.

5. Why is the concept of a mole important in chemistry?

The concept of a mole is important in chemistry because it allows us to easily measure and compare the amount of different substances in chemical reactions. It also helps in understanding the properties of substances and predicting their behavior in reactions. Additionally, the mole concept is closely related to Avogadro's number, which is a fundamental constant in chemistry that helps us understand the relationship between mass and number of particles in a substance.