What to say: "one mole of C atoms" or "one mole of C molecules"?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between one molecule of CO and one mole of CO molecules, as well as the question of what to call the individual atoms of carbon and oxygen in CO. There is also confusion about how to refer to one mole of oxygen, with the expert suggesting that it is best to clarify if it is one mole of O atoms or one mole of O2 molecules. Ultimately, it is determined that one mole of CO refers to one mole of CO molecules.
Indranil
As we know, Please point out if I am wrong here
one molecule of CO = one mole of CO molecules = 6.223 X 10^23 number of CO molecules
If I split one molecule of CO, we get one C and one O. Here are my questions, What to say these ''one C and one O" one mole of C atoms and one mole of O atoms or ''one mole of C molecules and one mole of O molecules'' or just like above like ''one C and one O''?
Could you clarify it, please? I am confused

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you do a search, you can find some definitions of molecule as a "group of atoms" bonded, or "2 or more atoms...". I also found ones which stated it could be a single atom molecule, being the smallest unit of the substance which maintains all of the properties.

Single oxygen atoms are probably not going to stay that way. They are going to pair up and form O2 Oxygen molecules. Carbon atoms can be single or bond with other carbons in a lattice structure.
I would state a mole of atoms, if you are talking about the atoms. If it is a molecule (like O2) then I would say molecules.

Likes DrClaude
scottdave said:
I also found ones which stated it could be a single atom molecule, being the smallest unit of the substance which maintains all of the properties.
The only case where I've seen this actually used is for noble gases.

In the present case, I see no reason to call C or O molecules.

DrClaude said:
The only case where I've seen this actually used is for noble gases.

In the present case, I see no reason to call C or O molecules.
Then what should I call ''C'' and ''O'' here in CO?

Indranil said:
Then what should I call ''C'' and ''O'' here in CO?
Atoms. Dissociating one mole of CO gives you one mole of C atoms and one mole of O atoms.

Likes scottdave
DrClaude said:
Atoms. Dissociating one mole of CO gives you one mole of C atoms and one mole of O atoms.
One mole of CO means one mole of CO molecules here?

I would speak of neither atoms nor molecules, here. Just say one mole of carbon or one mole of carbon monoxide or one mole of oxygen. With elements, it is understood that you refer to C or O, and not to O2. If you want to speak of moles of molecular oxygen, say one mole of dioxygen or O2. The mole is a macroscopic unit of substance, so usually it is not necessary to refer to the atomistic basis.

Indranil said:
One mole of CO means one mole of CO molecules here?

Yes.

DrDu said:
With elements, it is understood that you refer to C or O, and not to O2.

This is tricky, "one mole of oxygen" is ambiguous. It is best to elaborate what one really means by that.

1. What is the difference between "one mole of C atoms" and "one mole of C molecules"?

The main difference is in the composition of the moles. One mole of C atoms would contain 6.022 x 10^23 individual carbon atoms, while one mole of C molecules would contain 6.022 x 10^23 molecules of carbon, each composed of multiple atoms. Therefore, the number of atoms in one mole of C molecules would be greater than the number of atoms in one mole of C atoms.

2. Which term should I use when referring to carbon in a chemical equation?

It depends on the context of the equation. If the reactant or product is composed of individual carbon atoms, then it would be appropriate to use "one mole of C atoms." However, if the reactant or product is a carbon-containing compound, such as CO2, then it would be more accurate to use "one mole of C molecules."

3. Can I use the terms "atoms" and "molecules" interchangeably when talking about moles of a substance?

No, these terms cannot be used interchangeably. Atoms refer to the individual building blocks of an element, while molecules are made up of multiple atoms bonded together. One mole of C atoms and one mole of C molecules may have the same numerical value, but they represent different quantities of carbon.

4. How do you convert between moles of atoms and moles of molecules?

To convert between moles of atoms and moles of molecules, you can use the Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) as a conversion factor. For example, to convert from moles of C atoms to moles of C molecules, you would multiply the number of moles of C atoms by Avogadro's number.

5. Why is it important to specify whether it is moles of atoms or moles of molecules?

Specifying whether it is moles of atoms or moles of molecules is important for accuracy and clarity in scientific communication. The two terms represent different quantities and using the incorrect term could lead to confusion or errors in calculations.