The distribution of the square of the minimum of two normal random variables

Without the cdf, I am unable to evaluate min(X,Y). If anyone has any advice on how to solve this problem without the cdf, it would be greatly appreciated.In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the distribution of the square of the minimum of two i.i.d normal random variables with mean 0 and variance 1. However, the lack of an exact form for the cdf of a normal random variable poses a challenge in evaluating the minimum. Any suggestions on alternative approaches would be helpful.
natnat_nuts

Homework Statement

Let X and Y be i.i.d normal random variables with mean 0 and variance (that is, N(0,1)). If Z=min(X,Y). Prove that the square of Z is a Gamma distribution and identify the parameters.

My problem is that the cdf of a normal random variable has no exact form. I need the cdf of normal random variale so that i can evaluate min(X,Y). If you can offer me advice on how i can solve this without the need of the cdf, it would be great

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I am really not sure how to solve this. I need the cdf of a normal random variable but it has no exact form.

Related to The distribution of the square of the minimum of two normal random variables

1. What is the distribution of the square of the minimum of two normal random variables?

The distribution of the square of the minimum of two normal random variables is known as the Chi-Square distribution with two degrees of freedom. This distribution is commonly used in statistics to model the sum of squared independent standard normal variables.

2. How is the square of the minimum of two normal random variables calculated?

The square of the minimum of two normal random variables is calculated by taking the minimum value of the two variables and then squaring it. This can be expressed as (min(X,Y))^2, where X and Y are the two normal random variables.

3. What is the relationship between the Chi-Square distribution and the square of the minimum of two normal random variables?

The Chi-Square distribution with two degrees of freedom is equivalent to the distribution of the square of the minimum of two independent standard normal variables. This relationship is important in many statistical analyses where the sum of squared variables needs to be modeled.

4. Can the square of the minimum of two normal random variables be used to approximate other distributions?

Yes, the square of the minimum of two normal random variables can be used to approximate other distributions, such as the F-distribution and the t-distribution. This is known as the Fisher-Snedecor distribution and is commonly used in statistical hypothesis testing.

5. Are there any limitations to using the square of the minimum of two normal random variables in statistical analyses?

One limitation of using the square of the minimum of two normal random variables is that it assumes the two variables are independent and identically distributed. If this assumption is not met, the results may not be accurate. Additionally, this distribution may not be appropriate for small sample sizes.