The equations of various ellipse constructions

• Thread starter Appleton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the tangent and normal at point P on the ellipse meet the y-axis at T and N respectively. The product of OT and TN is independent of the position P. The coordinates of X, the center of the circle through P, T and N are (0, 3/2(cos^2(theta)/sin(theta)). The equation for the locus of point Q on PX produced such that X is the midpoint of PQ is y = (9sqrt(2))/sqrt(18-x^2) - 2sqrt(18-x^2). There may be a discrepancy with the answer given in the book, but further clarification is needed.
Appleton

Homework Statement

[/B]
The tangent and the normal at a point P([itex]3\sqrt2\cos\theta,3\sin\theta)[/itex]) on the ellipse [itex]\frac{x^2}{18}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1[/itex] meet the y-axis at T and N respectively. If O is the origin, prove that [itex]OT.TN[/itex] is independent of the position P. Find the coordinates of X, the centre of the circle through P, T and N. Find also the equation of the locus of the point Q on PX produced such that X is the midpoint of PQ.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The tangent of the ellipse is:

[itex]3\sqrt2ysin\theta+3xcos\theta=9\sqrt2[/itex]

When x=0, [itex]y=\frac{3}{sin\theta}=T[/itex]

The normal of the ellipse is:

[itex]3\sqrt2xsin\theta-3ycos\theta=9sin\theta\cos\theta[/itex]

When x=0, [itex] y=-3sin\theta=N[/itex]

[itex]OT.ON =(\frac{3}{sin\theta})(-3sin\theta) cos\pi[/itex]

[itex]OT.ON =9[/itex] and is therefore independent of the position P.

If X(x, y) is the centre of the circle through P, T and N, then

[itex]XT^2=XN^2\implies[/itex]

[itex]x^2+y^2-\frac{6y}{sin\theta}+\frac{9}{sin^2\theta}=x^2+y^2+6y\sin\theta+9sin^2\theta[/itex]

[itex]y=\frac{3}{2}(\frac{cos^2(\theta)}{sin\theta})[/itex]

[itex]XT^2=XP^2\implies[/itex]

[itex]x^2+y^2-\frac{6y}{sin\theta}+\frac{9}{sin^2\theta}=x^2+y^2+6cos\theta(3cos\theta-\sqrt2x)+3sin\theta(3sin\theta-2y)[/itex]

[itex]x=0[/itex]

So X, the centre of the circle passing through P, T and N is [itex](0,\frac{3}{2}\frac{cos^2\theta}{sin\theta})[/itex]

If X is the midpoint of PQ

[itex]x_Q=2x_X-x_P[/itex]

[itex]x_X=0\implies x_Q=-x_P=-3\sqrt2cos\theta[/itex]

[itex]y_Q=2y_X-y_P[/itex]

[itex]y_X=\frac{3}{2}\frac{cos^2\theta}{sin\theta}\implies y_Q=\frac{3}{sin\theta}-6sin\theta[/itex]

[itex]\theta=\arccos(-\frac{x_X}{3\sqrt2})[/itex]

[itex]y=\frac{9\sqrt2}{\sqrt(18-x^2)}-2\sqrt(18-x^2)[/itex]

However my book gives a different answer:

[itex]\frac{2x^2}{9}+\frac{9}{16y^2}=1[/itex]

I've graphed both equations and my solution seems to correlate more closely to what I would expect than the book's solution. I would very much appreciate it if someone is able to identify any errors or more efficient methods that I may have missed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I'm hoping no news is good news. It's the last part of the question that I'm most curious about. Is my book correct? Or am I correct? Or neither?

1. What is an ellipse construction?

An ellipse construction is a method used to create an ellipse shape using a set of mathematical equations. These equations involve the use of a compass and straightedge to construct the ellipse with precise measurements.

2. How many equations are needed for an ellipse construction?

At least two equations are needed to construct an ellipse. The most common equations used are the midpoint and perpendicular bisector method and the trammel method. However, there are several other equations that can be used depending on the specific construction method.

3. What is the difference between an ellipse and a circle?

An ellipse is a flattened, elongated circle, whereas a circle is a perfectly round shape. Mathematically, an ellipse is defined by two foci and a constant sum of distances from any point on the ellipse to the two foci, while a circle is defined by a single center point and a constant radius.

4. Can any ellipse be constructed using equations?

Yes, any ellipse can be constructed using a set of equations. However, the construction process may vary depending on the size and shape of the ellipse. Some ellipses may require more complex equations and construction methods than others.

5. What are some real-life applications of ellipse constructions?

Ellipse constructions have many practical applications, such as in architecture, engineering, art, and design. Some common examples include constructing elliptical arches, creating precise curves in mechanical or electrical equipment, and drawing accurate ellipses in art and design projects.