The Fundamental Postulate Of Special Relativity Is Self-Contradictory

In summary: StarThrower is a waste of time. He's been banned from this forum, for good reason.In summary, the fundamental postulate of special relativity states that the speed of a photon in any inertial reference frame must be measured as c, where c = 299792458 meters per second. This can be proven within the framework of the special theory of relativity. Additionally, the theorem of special relativity states that if all coordinates of a reference frame are moving in a straight line at a constant speed in another inertial reference frame, then it is also an inertial reference frame. By these principles, it can be shown that two photons moving in the same direction in an inertial reference frame will have a velocity of
StarThrower said:
Let F1 be a rectangular coordinate system that is also an inertial reference frame.
Let F2 be a rectangular coordinate system.

Let A, B be points in F2.
Let the vector from A to B be symbolized as: [tex] \vec{AB} [/tex]

Let A be moving in a straight line at a constant speed through F1.
Let B be moving in a straight line at a constant speed through F1.

Theorem: F2 is an inertial reference frame.

Will this theorem be sufficient?

And if the velocity vectors of A and B are not parallel? Not equal in magnitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
Severian596 said:
Your definition for a coordinate system is correct as long as our common sense idea of space applies.

Let N denote the maximum number of infinitely long straight lines that can meet at a point, such that the lines are mutually perpendicular.

The answer is independent of common sense.
The answer is called the dimensionality of space.
The answer is three... i.e. N=3.

There is a unique distance between any two points in space.

Let A denote one point in space, let B denote another point in space. The basic idea of a straight line segment comes from the following distance axiom:

Let |AB| denote the distance from point A to point B.

Let C denote any point on the straight line segment AB.

|AC| is the distance from A to C
|CB| is the distance from C to B.

Notice that |AC|+|CB| = |AB|

Now, suppose that C is off of straight line segment AB. The following is now the case:

|AC| + |CB| > |AB|

Recall: Triangle Inequality

Kind regards,

The Star

Integral said:
Michael,
You fail to understand the meaning of postulate. Einstein is not obligated to prove anything about his postulate. That is the nature of a postulate. You most certainly cannot learn anything other then the results of a constant c by studying Relativity. It is after all a development that explores the implications of a constant speed of light.

If you wish to find the roots of the constancy of c you need to study and understand the work of Clerk Maxwell. The origins of a velocity that is independent of the source, is Maxwell's equations cast in the form of the wave equation. When this result was published in the late 1860s the world of Physics was changed forever. How to rectify the source independence of the speed of Electromagnetism with the accepted and well understood precepts of Classical Mechanics was the single largest issue in Physics of that era. Due to that Einstein was able to postulate a constant c. Physicist of that era did not blink an eye at the postulate because they had spend a generation attempting to disprove the constancy of c. They failed.
Excuse me, but I can’t consider your answer differently than pseudoscientific demagogy.
You do not give the concrete answer, except for the general reasonings.
Do you have the answer to a question – why?

StarThrower said:
Let |AB| denote the distance from point A to point B.

I will not ask how we define distance, but rather I'll ask you directly if the spacial distance between points A and B is absolute to all reference frames.

EDIT:
In addition you have not accounted for time in your coordinate system. Is the distance [tex]\Delta t[/tex] between two events in one frame absolute--that is, equal in all frames in motion with respect to events' frame?

If this isn't so, and if time is not absolute, how can you define absolute space?

Last edited:
StarThrower said:
The answer is called the dimensionality of space.

This is not fully understood. The nature of space and time (and how they are related) is more complex than length, width, height, and how long it takes me to go to the bathroom. Furthermore to fully understand their relationship I believe it takes general relativity...but I don't know anything about GR.

Severian596 said:
I will not ask how we define distance, but rather I'll ask you directly if the spacial distance between points A and B is absolute to all reference frames.

Yes, the distance between two points is absolute.

Regards,

The Star

StarThrower said:
Yes, the distance between two points is absolute.

Well, we can stop talking now. I'll keep an eye out for your "StarThrowerian Physics" publication, if it ever hits the shelves.

In relativistic mechanics, there is no such thing as an absolute length or an absolute time since length and time depend on the frame of reference of the observer.

Last edited:
Severian596 said:
Well, we can stop talking now. I'll keep an eye out for your "StarThrowerian Physics" publication, if it ever hits the shelves.

In relativistic mechanics, there is no such thing as an absolute length or an absolute time since length and time depend on the frame of reference of the observer.

Relativistic mechanics is wrong, hence I fail to see your point.

Regards,

The Star

Severian596 said:
And if the velocity vectors of A and B are not parallel? Not equal in magnitude?

A,B are points in F2. Therefore, the distance from A to B is constant.

If the velocity of A in F2 is different from the velocity of B in F1, then the distance from A to B would vary. In other words, the vector from A to B is rigid.

Regards,

The Star

Hence, I'll leave you to your theories and wait for your work to be published by the experts. I'm tired of comparing apples to oranges.

You're entitled to believe what you like, and so am I.

The conversation was stimulating...

StarThrower said:
If the velocity of A in F2 is different from the velocity of B in F1, then the distance from A to B would vary. In other words, the vector from A to B is rigid

You didn't stipulate this, which didn't account for any possible rotation or stretching of F2 in comparisson to F1.

In order to understand the concept three dimensional Euclidean space, one has to understand the definition of a straight line segment. In order to understand this, one needs the axioms of the Euclidean distance function.

Here they are for convenience.

Euclidean Distance Function

Let x,y,z denote arbitrary points in a coordinate system.

Definition: For any points A,B in a coordinate system, |AB| denotes the distance from A to B.

Let x,y,z denote arbitrary points in some coordinate system.

[tex] Axiom I: |xy| \geq 0 [/tex]
[tex] Axiom II: |xy|=0 \leftrightarrow x=y [/tex]
[tex] Axiom III: |xy| = |yx| [/tex]
[tex] Axiom IV: |xy|+|yz| \geq |xz| [/tex]

The straight line segment from xy consists of all points c, such that:

|xc|+|cy| = |xy|

Keep in mind that in principle, the distance from one point to another can be measured by a device called a ruler. Thus, distance doesn't need to be defined logically, instead it can be defined operationally.

Last edited:
StarThrower said:
In order to understand the concept three dimensional Euclidean space...

It's too bad that because we don't live in Euclidean space your efforts are wasted.

I'm curious how you, StarThrower, explain the fact that every other galaxy is redshifted if you also believe in absolute space. Oh and you never answered my question about absolute time, do you also hang on to that?

PS I'll wait for a new-age Newtonian purist physics system from you, if that's the case. I assume you're hip with the ether, too then.

Severian596 said:
It's too bad that because we don't live in Euclidean space your efforts are wasted.

I'm curious how you, StarThrower, explain the fact that every other galaxy is redshifted if you also believe in absolute space. Oh and you never answered my question about absolute time, do you also hang on to that?

PS I'll wait for a new-age Newtonian purist physics system from you, if that's the case. I assume you're hip with the ether, too then.

Absolute space, absolute time, yes that's me. Redshift and Blueshift can be explained by Newtonian mechanics.

Kind regards,

The Star

Once you are armed with the concept of a straight line segment, it is easy to generalize that concept to an infinite straight line.

The straight line segment from A to B consists of all points C, such that:

|AC|+|CB|=|AB|

Now, consider THE infinite straight line through A,B.
It will consist of the straight line segment from A to B, and also, it will consist of all points D such that:

|AB|+|BD| = |AD| or |DA|+|AB|=|DB|

So in principle, the concept of the distance from one point to another has been made as intuitive as possible.

Next comes the notion of two infinite straight lines that contain one point in common.

Any two such lines determine a unique plane.

In Euclid it is proved that vertical angles are congruent. And when all four angles are equivalent, each is a right angle, and the lines are said to be perpendicular.

Now, suppose that we have two infinite straight lines that meet at right angles.

Now, send a third infinite straight line through the intersection point of the first two, such that all vertical angles are congruent. There is one and only one infinite straight line which can meet the other two, such that all three lines are mutually perpendicular.

Thus, real space is three dimensional Euclidean.

Anyone who wants a fancier proof of this is welcome to try.
The fact that space is three dimensional was known by the ancient greeks.

I find it surprising that this fact was ever doubted.

Kind regards,

The Star

P.S. At this point, it is a hop, skip, and a jump to a rectangular coordinate system.

"The fact that space is three dimensional was known by the ancient greeks."

... welcome to the 21st century?

"I find it surprising that this fact was ever doubted."

The fact is simply incomplete without considering time, and how time and space interact.

What is the distance between A and B where:
A is the origin at time 0
B is the origin at time 1
?

A and B cannot be the same, because they're at different times...

We will raise this conjecture (the purport of which will hereafter be called the ``Principle of Relativity'') to the status of a postulate, and also introduce another postulate, which is only apparently irreconcilable with the former, namely, that light is always propagated in empty space with a definite velocity c which is independent of the state of motion of the emitting body.

This quote is taken from On the Electrodynamics of a moving body By Albert Einstein. I see no reference to inertial frames. I do see the bolded phrase. Some times when we run into apparent contradictions we need to step back and look at the basic physics.

Here in lies the explanation for your apparent contradiction. Photons simply do not emit photons, so it is nonphysical to refer to a photon as an emitting body. Your argument which assumes that a photon has velocity c wrt to a second photon is doing just that. This is nonphysical assumption, therefore nonphysical conclusions are the only possible result, if correct logic is used.

Severian596 said:
"The fact that space is three dimensional was known by the ancient greeks."

... welcome to the 21st century?

"I find it surprising that this fact was ever doubted."

The fact is simply incomplete without considering time, and how time and space interact.

Time doesn't interact with space, that is a whole lot of nonsense. Intuitive understanding of space comes from the study of the affine geometry that the greeks developed, and mathematical understanding of geometry comes from the analytic geometry of Descarte's (mapping the real number system to points on an infinite straight line). Analytic and Synthetic geometry both aid in the understanding of space, and hence in the understanding of motion.

Understanding of time comes from understanding of the natural number system: N = {1,2,3,4,5,6,...}

First moment in time, second moment in time, third instant, four state, etc.

If time is modeled using the real number system, then between any two moments in time, there are an infinite number of moments in time, therefore the concept of a second moment in time is meaningless. That is incorrect.

Kind regards,

The Star

Hurkyl said:
What is the distance between A and B where:
A is the origin at time 0
B is the origin at time 1
?

A and B cannot be the same, because they're at different times...

I didn't understand this post... sorry.

Integral said:
This quote is taken from On the Electrodynamics of a moving body By Albert Einstein. I see no reference to inertial frames. I do see the bolded phrase. Some times when we run into apparent contradictions we need to step back and look at the basic physics.

Here in lies the explanation for your apparent contradiction. Photons simply do not emit photons, so it is nonphysical to refer to a photon as an emitting body. Your argument which assumes that a photon has velocity c wrt to a second photon is doing just that. This is nonphysical assumption, therefore nonphysical conclusions are the only possible result, if correct logic is used.

You left out part of Einstein's quote:

They suggest rather that, as has already been shown to the first order of small quantities, the same laws of electrodynamics and optics will be valid for all frames of reference for which the equations of mechanics hold good.1 We will raise this conjecture (the purport of which will hereafter be called the ``Principle of Relativity'') to the status of a postulate, and also introduce another postulate, which is only apparently irreconcilable with the former, namely, that light is always propagated in empty space with a definite velocity c which is independent of the state of motion of the emitting body. A. Einstein

You left out the first sentence which is that the laws of electrodynamics (and optics) will be valid for all FRAMES OF REFERENCE for which the equations of mechanics hold good.

Einstein was convinced that electrodynamics implied that the speed of light was constant.

(A constant with respect to what he thought?)

His answer: In the reference frames for which the laws of classical mechanics are valid, i.e. the inertial reference frames.

This was summarized in his postulate where he says that the speed of light is independent of the speed the emitter has when moving in an inertial reference frame.

In other words Einstein said this.

Let F1 be an inertial reference frame. (Therefore, by definition of an inertial reference frame, Newton's laws of motion are true. That means that an object subject to no outside force will either remain at rest in this frame, or in straight line motion at a constant speed... the law of inertia is true in this frame).

Set up a coordinate system so that distance measurements have meaning in this frame using rulers. Let time measurements be made using clocks at rest in this frame, so that speed of an object in this frame can be defined.

Now, suppose that the speed of photon emitter 1 is 0 in this frame.
And, suppose that the speed of photon emitter 2 is v in this frame.

Let both emitters emit light. (later the photon model was accepted, but at this time Maxwell and others were propounding a wave theory of light).

Using the concept of photons, Einstein was saying this:

The speed of each photon in F1 is C.

Newtonian mechanics says this:

The speed of the photon emitted by emitter one should be 0+c=c in this frame, and the speed of the photon emitted by emitter two should be v+c in this frame.

Disagreement starts here.

Kind regards,

The Star

Last edited:
StarThrower said:
I didn't understand this post... sorry.

First off, Hurkyl's post was very succinctly put: distance between two points in time can be examined just like the distance between two points in space. Even a stationary point within 3-space (and therefore within a coordinate system) is not completely stationary...it moves forward through time. The definition of an event is a point in space with a 4th coordinate, time. This was the root of Hurkyl's question.

Secondly, it's obvious that you're an intelligent person, StarThrower. You depend on logic and deductive reasoning, though in my opinion you depend a bit too much on thought experiment over actual experimental data. So why do you choose to cling to ancient precepts for your beliefs? You must realize that the people who developed the classical systems of physics (i.e. Newton) to which you cling used the knowledge of their predicesors to advance theories of their own age? And corrispondingly physicists and philosophers used their ideas to further progress the state of understanding.

Basics ideas developed by Euclid were developed and refined, used by Newton, and then Newton's ideas were refined and devloped by Einstein. Why do you choose to ignore that?

If we did not depend on the work of others, we would all be stuck reinventing the wheel. The reason for studying classical theory is to better understand modern theory. Not so you can look at modern theory and accuse it of being arcane or mythical.

If that weren't the case you may as well believe that bleeding a person is a way to cure illness. And that these tiny things called "micro organisms" don't exist! You can't SEE them after all, not without using some instruments of science.

Using the concept of photons, Einstein was saying this:

The speed of each photon in F1 is C.

Newtonian mechanics says this:

The speed of the photon emitted by emitter one should be 0+c=c in this frame, and the speed of the photon emitted by emitter two should be v+c in this frame.

Disagreement starts here.

And don't forget that Maxwell's theory of electrodynamics says that (in both frames):

[tex]\begin{equation*}\begin{split}\nabla \cdot E &= 0 \\
\nabla \cdot B &= 0 \\
\nabla \times E &= \mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial B}{\partial t} \\
\nabla \times B &= - \frac{\partial E}{\partial t} \\
\mbox{from which we can conclude} \\
\nabla \times \frac{\partial B}{\partial t} &= - \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2} \\
\frac{1}{\mu_0 \epsilon_0} \nabla \times ( \nabla \times E ) &= - \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2} \\
\frac{1}{\mu_0 \epsilon_0} ( \nabla(\nabla \cdot E) - \nabla^2 E ) &= - \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2} \\
\frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2} &= \frac{1}{\mu_0 \epsilon_0} \nabla^2 E
\end{split}\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Which, if you'll recall from classical mechanics, describes a wave whose velocity is [itex]1/\sqrt{\mu_0 \epsilon_0}[/itex]. And note that this derivation is valid in any reference frame in which Maxwell's equations are valid.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
And don't forget that Maxwell's theory of electrodynamics says that (in both frames):

[tex]\begin{equation*}\begin{split}\nabla \cdot E &= 0 \\

\end{split}\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Prove the divergence of the electric field is 0.

Exactly what kind of frame is this statement true in?

Last edited:
This is Maxwell's theory of electrodynamics. [itex]\nabla \cdot E = 0[/itex] wherever there is no net electric charge.

The game the SRists are playing goes like this: Let's change the definitions of the numbers 4 and 3 for example (but be discreet and hope no one will notice) and voila, we dazzle the public with the result that 4 + 3 = 2. A great sleight of hand trick, all SR is.

Basically, units are changed between inertial frames in SR but without using a different terminology as required. An inch becomes a centimeter in a different inertial frame but is mistakenly called an inch by the SR hoaxers. Ditto for the units of time. Everyone except SR elitists are required to give a conversion ratio between scales (e.g. 1 centimeters on a road map = 1 mile on the road) so that a set of values can be accurately compared- deception is the method by which SRians circumvent the logical and physical contradictions arising from SR's two postulates.

If the proper units and terminology were used, SR's postulate of a constant speed of light independent of source must result in contradiction with its second postulate, that physics is the same in all inertial frames, since the speed of light then would be c+v and c-v round trip measured inside an inertial frame moving at v relative to the vacuum.

Last edited:
Eyesaw: How do you reconsize varying speed of light with the wave equation from Maxwell's electrodynamics?

Hurkyl said:
Eyesaw: How do you reconsize varying speed of light with the wave equation from Maxwell's electrodynamics?

Simple- don't transform coordinates. If physics is the same in all inertial frames, why does Maxwel''s equations need to take on different forms?
Kind of redundant don't you think? If our starting postulate is that c is c inside all inertial frames, why do we have to transform its value from one to another?

Last edited:
Basically, units are changed between inertial frames in SR but without using a different terminology as required.

What leads you to believe this? Is it that you are running out of ways to rationalize your disbelief in SR and are reaching for the more and more patently absurd?

If physics is the same in all inertial frames, why does Maxwel''s equations need to take on different forms?

It doesn't take on different forms in all inertial reference frames.

That's the point.

In every inertial frame, the wave equation says (in a vacuum):

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2} = \frac{1}{c^2} \nabla^2 E
[/tex]

But it never takes the form

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2} = \frac{1}{(c+v)^2} \nabla^2 E
[/tex]

or

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2} = \frac{1}{(c-v)^2} \nabla^2 E
[/tex]

which would be required for light traveling at speeds of c+v or c-v respectively.

Hurkyl said:
It doesn't take on different forms in all inertial reference frames.

That's the point.

In every inertial frame, the wave equation says (in a vacuum):

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2} = \frac{1}{c^2} \nabla^2 E
[/tex]

But it never takes the form

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2} = \frac{1}{(c+v)^2} \nabla^2 E
[/tex]

or

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial t^2} = \frac{1}{(c-v)^2} \nabla^2 E
[/tex]

which would be required for light traveling at speeds of c+v or c-v respectively.

Not if light is source dependent.

I'm curious if any doubters here have sources of experimental evidence that the speed of light is DEpendent of the source's speed.

Let some electrically charged object be at rest in reference frame F1.
Let us have set up a rectangular coordinate system.
We desire to compute the electric field E at one of the field points, say (x,y,z), due to this electrically charged object.

Let the charge density of the object be denoted by [tex] \rho [/tex]

The position vector of the field point is:

[tex] \vec{r} = xi + yj + zk [/tex]

Let the position of an arbitrary electrically charged particle inside the body be (x`,y`,z`).

The position vector of this particle in F1 is:

[tex] \vec{r^\prime} = x^\prime i + y^\prime j + z^\prime k [/tex]

Thus, we have a vector triangle. Let us define [tex] \vec{R} [/tex] using the following equation:

[tex] \vec{r^\prime} + \vec{R} = \vec{r} [/tex]

Thus, R is a vector that goes from a charged particle in the object, to an arbitrary field point whose coordinates in F1 are (x,y,z).

The total electric field at (x,y,z) due to the charged object, can be computed by integrating over the charged body. Thus, in the integral, the point that is varying is (x`,y`,z`).

Thus, we have:

[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \rho d\tau \frac{\vec{R}}{|\vec{R}|^3} [/tex]

Rho is a function of the primed coordinates (x`,y`,z`).

Now, take the divergence of both sides if the equation over the field points (x,y,z).

Theorem:

[tex] \frac{\vec{R}}{|\vec{R}|^3} = \nabla (\frac{-1}{|\vec{R}|}) [/tex]

From which it follows that:

[tex] \vec{E} = - \nabla \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho d\tau}{|\vec{R}|} [/tex]

Now, define the scalar function V as follows:

[tex] V = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho d\tau}{|\vec{R}|} [/tex]

Thus, we have:

[tex] \vec{E} = - \nabla V [/tex]

Kind Regards,

The Star

Last edited:
Hurkyl: This is Maxwell's theory of electrodynamics. [itex]\nabla \cdot E = 0[/itex] wherever there is no net electric charge.

Star Thrower: The total electric field at (x,y,z) due to the charged object, can be computed by integrating over the charged body. Thus, in the integral, the point that is varying is (x`,y`,z`).

Thus, we have:

[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \rho d\tau \frac{\vec{R}}{|\vec{R}|^3} [/tex]

Rho is a function of the primed coordinates (x`,y`,z`).

Now, take the divergence of both sides if the equation over the field points (x,y,z).

That's not too difficult, since r is identically zero.

Tom Mattson said:
That's not too difficult, since r is identically zero.

In free space, r is zero. I simply wanted to see him derive the more general result:

[tex] \nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

I want to see if he uses the delta function to derive the result, or not.

Kind regards,

StarThrower

P.S. Oh and Hurkyl, is the equation above true in any reference frame, or just inertial reference frames?

Case 1: The electrically charged object is not being subjected to a force.
Case 2: The electrically charged object is being subjected to a force.

Last edited: