The Gain of the Inverting Amplifier and Virtual Earth....

In summary, the gain of an inverting amplifier is not exactly equal to the open loop gain. If the voltage above R1 is positive, no current is flowing into V-, what must Vout be in order for V+ = V- = zero volts?
Adam Ghannam
upload_2019-1-20_11-4-11.png

This is an inverting amplifier incorporating an ideal op-amp with infinite open loop gain. I have a simple question concerning the derivation of its gain (-R2/R1). The point I circled is at 0V (Virtual Earth) but then, if V+=V-, Shouldn't Vout=0 regardless of what R2 and R1 are?? What's wrong in my understanding.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-20_11-4-11.png
    upload_2019-1-20_11-4-11.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,390
Physics news on Phys.org
Adam Ghannam said:
Shouldn't Vout=0 regardless of what R2 and R1 are?? What's wrong in my understanding.
If Vout=0 then either you would have Ohm’s law violated at R2 or you would have KCL violated at the - terminal.

Adam Ghannam said:
but then, if V+=V-, Shouldn't Vout=0 regardless of what R2 and R1 are?? What's wrong in my understanding.

Nothing is wrong with your understanding.
Just you haven't yet 'bent' your thinking to wrap it around the "Operational Amplifier Circuit" .

If
open loop gain is infinite
and
input (V1 - V2) is zero
then ## Output = Input X Gain = 0 X ∞ = indeterminate ##

So we have to "bend" our thinking as follows
Output is some real number bounded by the amplifier's maximum output, usually near its supply voltage(s) typically less than 15 volts
So input is that modest real number divided by gain
and any real number divided by infinity is zero (remember your limits from first semester calculus)
That's 'bent thinking' , going from output to input, and it's counter intuitive because we usually go the other way..

Next replace gain of infinity by some large but real number like a million
if output is constrained to 15volts(or less)
input is constrained to 15 microvolts(or less)
and we just round that off to zero.

BIte the bullet and try it.

## Input = \frac{Output} {Gain} = \frac{15}{1,000,000} = 0.000015 ## ,
which is zero to four decimal places
and in my day we used analog meters that couldn't even resolve a millivolt let alone measure microvolts.

Working op-amp circuits in your head will make that 'bent thinking' so intuitive you'll become barely able to remember struggling with it.
I have to reach back to 1965 to remember when it "clicked" for me.
Being a vacuum tube guy I resisted not the algebra but the notion of an infinite gain amplifier .
So consider it a thought experiment , nothing more than an exercise in arithmetic.
Modern op-amps are a lot closer to ideal than the old μA709s I learned on.

That simple 'bent thinking' will serve you well. .
old jim

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G and Adam Ghannam
Adam Ghannam said:
View attachment 237599
This is an inverting amplifier incorporating an ideal op-amp with infinite open loop gain. I have a simple question concerning the derivation of its gain (-R2/R1). The point I circled is at 0V (Virtual Earth) but then, if V+=V-, Shouldn't Vout=0 regardless of what R2 and R1 are?? What's wrong in my understanding.

They are only approximately equal. The difference between them is roughly Vout divided by the open loop gain which is huge.

Rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise. If the voltage above R1 is positive, no current is flowing into V-, what must Vout be in order for V+ = V- = zero volts?

How about if the voltage above R1 is negative?

1. What is the gain of the inverting amplifier and virtual earth?

The gain of the inverting amplifier and virtual earth is equal to the ratio of the input resistance (R1) to the feedback resistance (R2). It is typically represented by the equation: Vout = -(R2/R1)Vin. This means that the output voltage is the negative of the input voltage, multiplied by the ratio of the two resistances.

2. How does the inverting amplifier and virtual earth work?

The inverting amplifier and virtual earth work by using negative feedback to control the output voltage. The input voltage is fed into the inverting input terminal of the operational amplifier, while the output voltage is fed back to the inverting input through a feedback resistor. This creates a virtual ground at the inverting input, which helps to stabilize the output voltage and create a predictable gain.

3. What are the advantages of using the inverting amplifier and virtual earth?

There are several advantages to using the inverting amplifier and virtual earth. These include high input impedance, low output impedance, and a predictable gain that is not affected by changes in the input resistance. Additionally, it is a simple and cost-effective circuit to implement.

4. How does the gain of the inverting amplifier and virtual earth change with different resistor values?

The gain of the inverting amplifier and virtual earth is directly proportional to the ratio of the two resistances (R2/R1). This means that as the values of R1 and R2 change, the gain will also change accordingly. For example, increasing the value of R2 will result in a higher gain, while decreasing the value of R1 will result in a lower gain.

5. Are there any limitations to using the inverting amplifier and virtual earth?

While the inverting amplifier and virtual earth have many benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. One limitation is that it is an inverting amplifier, meaning that the output voltage will always be the opposite polarity of the input voltage. Additionally, the input voltage range is limited by the power supply voltage, and the output voltage cannot exceed the power supply voltage.