Clarifying the Confusion: Op Amp Gain in Non-Inverting Amplifier Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the transfer function of an op amp circuit, specifically focusing on the "K" value, which is the open loop gain of the op amp. The open loop gain is multiplied by the feedback factor (1+R1/R2 for non-inverting amplifier) to get the closed loop gain. There are different models of op amps available with varying features such as high frequency response, low input bias currents, and high precision. The correct formula for closed-loop gain is Acl=1/k, where k is the feedback factor and 1/Aol is much smaller than k.
aesoph13442
According to my professor's model answer for an assignment, when we derive the transfer function of an op amp circuit, we have a "K" value, which is the open loop gain of the op amp (I am not 100% certain), multiplied to the op amp circuit (1+R1/R2 for non-inverting amplifier for example). I need to multiply the "open loop gain" with "close loop gain" in order to get the transfer function for a specific circuit. However, when I read the non-inverting amplifier section in "fundamental of microelectronics" by Ravazi, his explanation is in the following: "Interestingly, the voltage gain depends on only the ratio of the resistors; if R1 and R2
increase by 20%, R1/R2 remains constant." It's on page 358 for 2nd edition. I just wonder which version is correct.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes berkeman and aesoph13442
this is correct

watch this video
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...E950D0C45487CFCBDAEFE950D0C45487CFC&FORM=VIRE

Dave (not me) explains opamps very well :)
Dave

Thank you Dave! I have one more question. If the gain only depends on other components rather than the op amp itself, what is the point of having different models of op amp? I know some op amps are designed to remain a "normal" behavior in higher frequencies or have a larger bandwidth. But besides those reasons, what is the point of using a different model of op amp? Let's say I am plotting the bode plot of some transfer functions, some of them start at 0dB and some start at 60dB or a different value. The starting point depends on the constant coefficient of the transfer function. Does the op amp determine the value of the constant? Is it the open loop gain (gain of the op amp)?

Last edited:
aesoph13442 said:
If the gain only depends on other components rather than the op amp itself, what is the point of having different models of op amp?
You can rely on the resistor ratio to be an approximation to the gain of the op-amp-with-feedback only if the op-amp's open-loop gain far exceeds that. And as you say, if you want high closed-loop gain at higher frequencies then the op-amp itself must be able to deliver even higher gain at those higher frequencies. A good high frequency response equates to a snappy behavior with squarewaves.

Some op-amps are designed to draw very very low currents at the inputs so these will take almost no power from the signal source.

aesoph13442 said:
If the gain only depends on other components rather than the op amp itself, what is the point of having different models of op amp?

The open loop gain of any/all op-amps is very high, in theory, infinity, practically tho, 10's or 100's of 1000's, which for normal use is never needed.
10's or 100's or occasionally a few 1000 gain is the most ever used ( depending on requirements)

Why are there so many ?
Many reasons ... many of the earlier versions are still around they may have lower gain before noise becomes a problem
other newer ones have extremely low noise, high current handling output, higher working voltage etc

looking through different datasheets, you will be able to see the beneficial features some have over others
for some basic circuits where input bias currents etc are not critical to the op-amp or circuit operation beans that cheaper more basic op-amps can be used

Other circuits may call for high precision very low bias current leakage and so there are op-amps made for that purposeDave

aesoph13442 said:
I need to multiply the "open loop gain" with "close loop gain" in order to get the transfer function for a specific circuit. .
That`s definitely wrong. The following formula says everything (Aol=open-loop gain, k=feedback factor):

Closed-loop gain (non-inverting amplifier with k=R2/(R1+R2))
Acl
=Aol/(1+Aol*k)=1/(1/Aol+k).
For 1/Aol<<k we get Acl=1/k.

1. What is an operational amplifier (opamp) and how does it work?

An operational amplifier, also known as an opamp, is an electronic device that amplifies electrical signals. It has two inputs, a positive and a negative, and a single output. The opamp uses feedback to control its output, making it a very versatile and widely used component in electronic circuits.

2. What is the gain of an opamp?

The gain of an opamp is the ratio of its output voltage to its input voltage. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and can range from a few hundred to several thousand. The gain of an opamp is determined by the ratio of the resistors in its feedback network.

3. How is the gain of an opamp calculated?

The gain of an opamp can be calculated using the equation: G = -Rf/Rin, where Rf is the feedback resistor and Rin is the input resistor. This assumes that the opamp is in an inverting configuration. In a non-inverting configuration, the gain can be calculated using the equation: G = 1 + (Rf/Rin).

4. What is the difference between open-loop and closed-loop gain in an opamp?

The open-loop gain of an opamp is the gain without any external feedback. It is usually very high, but not very stable. The closed-loop gain, on the other hand, is the gain with external feedback applied. It is more stable and can be adjusted to a desired value by changing the feedback resistor values.

5. How can I avoid confusion about opamp gain in my circuit design?

To avoid confusion about opamp gain in circuit design, it is important to first understand the basic principles of opamps and their gain calculations. It is also helpful to use proper notation and labeling in circuit diagrams, and to double check calculations and component values before building the circuit. Additionally, simulations and prototyping can help in understanding and verifying the gain of an opamp in a circuit.