The graph of the function is given; Draw the graph of f'

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of a given function by using the limit process or the power rule and then graphing the resulting derivative function. The example given involves a parabola and the conversation ends with confirming that using the power rule will result in the correct derivative function.
Nicolas5150

Homework Statement

The graph of the function f is given, Draw the graph of f'
The graph looks like that of a parabola extending continuously upwards to the left and the right.

Homework Equations

lim f(x+ delta(x)) - f(x)
delta x -> 0 delta(x)

or power rule nX^n-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been accustomed to numerical derivatives and using the limit process or power rule to find the answer. Here I am given a graph (from what I see has direct points at (0,0), (1,1), (2,4), (-1,-1), and (-2,4) ). What I would like to know is how to approach the problem.
I tried to reference a problem in my textbook similar to this problem and I see that the parabola's lowest point is onto of (4,0) and the answer in the book then uses this point in the answer (sort of) with x=4. I would like to know, since my problem is similar to the practice problem which way i would draw the line since my parabola is right in the middle of the graph unlike the practice problem (number 41).

I appreciate the help / guidance in advanced.

Attachments

• IMG_2433.jpg
    IMG_2433.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 516
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 10.06.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 10.06.52 PM.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 519
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 10.06.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 10.06.18 PM.png
    13 KB · Views: 562
Physics news on Phys.org
For all of these you first need to determine f(x) from the graphs given. Use your intuition and basic understanding of different functions to do so. Then take the derivative of the function, f'(x), using whatever means you are comfortable with. And then simply graph f'(x).

Gustafo said:
For all of these you first need to determine f(x) from the graphs given. Use your intuition and basic understanding of different functions to do so. Then take the derivative of the function, f'(x), using whatever means you are comfortable with. And then simply graph f'(x).

So in this instance the graph already given looks like x^2 so I could simply use the power rule and obtain 2x as the the f'. Then graph 2x. Is that correct?

Exactly, you got it! :smile:

1. What does the graph of f' represent?

The graph of f' represents the derivative of the function f. It shows the rate of change of f at each point on the graph.

2. How do I draw the graph of f'?

To draw the graph of f', you can use the rules and techniques for graphing derivatives, such as finding critical points, using the first and second derivative tests, and plotting points. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the graph accurately.

3. What information can be determined from the graph of f'?

The graph of f' can provide information about the behavior of the original function f, such as the location of extrema, concavity, and points of inflection. It can also indicate the direction of the function's slope at different points.

4. How does the graph of f' relate to the graph of f?

The graph of f' is closely related to the graph of f. The critical points of f' correspond to the extrema of f, and the concavity of f' corresponds to the inflection points of f. Additionally, the graph of f' can be used to determine the intervals where f is increasing or decreasing.

5. Can the graph of f' be used to find the equation of f?

It is possible to find the equation of f using the graph of f', but it is not always straightforward. You would need to integrate f' to get the original function f, and this process can be challenging for more complex functions. It is often more efficient to find the equation of f using other methods, such as using the graph of f or finding the antiderivative of f' analytically.