Is the Higgs Field an Exception to Energy Being Merely a Property?

In summary: So, it is not correct to say that the particles are the cause of the fields. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and its relationship to matter. PF mentor Dalespam states that energy is a property, not a "thing" and cannot exist by itself. Other fields, such as electromagnetic and magnetic, owe their existence to particles, but the Higgs field and inflaton exist independently of particles. The conversation raises the question of whether energy can exist without particles or photons.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
In a recent thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-energy-convertible-to-matter.692986/#post-5262460

PF mentor Dalespam said, "Energy is a property, not a "thing"

Then Dalespam said, "You can convert things with energy (e.g. a pair of photons) into other things with energy (e.g. an electron and positron). Energy doesn't exist by itself, so you cannot simply convert energy (without an accompanying thing) into matter.

This is important because any of the things that have energy also have other properties, such as spin, or momentum, or charge, etc."

That struck me as very profound, because it is very tempting to think of energy as something that does exist by itself. I had never heard an explicit statement so direct as Dalespam's, "Energy is a property, not a "thing" I have been mulling on that ever since. Thank you Dalespam for the stimulation.

But yesterday, I thought of the Higgs Field with it's mexican hat property of having nonzero energy at zero field strength.

Wikipedia says ...the Higgs field[6][7]—a fundamental field of crucial importance to particle physics theory,[7] first suspected to exist in the 1960s, that unlike other known fields such as theelectromagnetic field, takes a non-zero constant value almost everywhere. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

If the Higgs field exists everywhere, then it is not a property of the "things" in the region, where "things: can be defined as particles including photons. The things can't be Higgs Bosons because (according to that sme Wikipedia article) Higgs Bosons are produced only when the Higgs field is excited, thus implying that an unexcited Higgs Field exists with no Higgs Bosons.

The same mexican hat property is said to apply to the hypothesized inflaton field (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflaton). I think it is correct to say that the narrative of inflation theory is that the existence of energy precedes the existence of photons and particles.

I'm sorry to have to try to pose a scientific question dependent on the definition of "thing." My question:

Are the the Higgs Field and the inflaton fields exceptions to the statement, "Energy doesn't exist by itself"?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be confusing the Higgs vev with the energy stored in the Higgs field. Also, there is nothing strange about energy being stored in fields rather than particles. We do this all the time in classical electrodynamics.

Orodruin said:
You seem to be confusing the Higgs vev with the energy stored in the Higgs field. Also, there is nothing strange about energy being stored in fields rather than particles. We do this all the time in classical electrodynamics.

Yes fields have energy, but other fields, electromagnetic, magnetic, Coulomb, gravity, temperature, wind, etc. owe their existence to particles (including photons). Therefore, we could say that without the particles, those fields would not exist. In contrast, the Higgs field and the Inflaton, exist independent of particles.

I didn't want to phrase my question this way, but in a universe with no particles and no photons, could there be energy?

I would phrase it in a different way, the particles owe their existence to the quantisation of the fields. Energy being inherent in the fields predates field quantisation and a classical field does not contain a fixed number of particles, it is a coherent state.

Likes anorlunda

1. What is the Higgs field?

The Higgs field is a theoretical concept in particle physics that describes the universe as being filled with a field of energy. This field interacts with particles, giving them mass and creating the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. How does the Higgs field give particles mass?

The Higgs field interacts with particles through the Higgs mechanism, where particles gain mass by passing through the field and interacting with the Higgs boson particle. This interaction slows down particles and gives them the appearance of having mass.

3. What is the relationship between the Higgs field and the Higgs boson?

The Higgs field and the Higgs boson are closely related. The Higgs field is the theoretical concept that permeates the universe, while the Higgs boson is the particle that is associated with the field and gives particles their mass through the Higgs mechanism.

4. How does the Higgs field affect the behavior of particles?

The Higgs field plays a crucial role in shaping the behavior of particles in the universe. It gives particles mass, which affects how they interact with other particles and how they move through space. Without the Higgs field, particles would behave differently and the universe would be drastically different.

5. How does the discovery of the Higgs boson impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and its role in giving particles mass. This discovery has greatly advanced our understanding of the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe, and has helped to validate the Standard Model of particle physics.