The Inflationary and The Big Bang Theory

In summary: So we cannot say that the big bang is wrong. If someone can support me with a detailed explanation it would be great.Thank you in advance.
yazanhomsi
Hello everyone,

My question is: The big bang model proposes that the rate at which the universe is expanding is now decelerating. The inflationary theory proposes that the speed of expansion and separation started out slow and now it is accelerating.
But as we know, recently it has been found that the rate at which the universe expands is actually ACCELERATING (dark energy might possibly be the reason for that).
Does that mean the big bang theory is wrong? I know the inflationary theory was introduced to modify the big bang theory. Can someone explain this to me?

However we should keep in mind that the big bang theory predicted that there are remnant photons from the creation event permeating space (cosmic microwave background radiation), which turned out to be correct.

So we cannot say that the big bang is wrong.

If someone can support me with a detailed explanation it would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Space news on Phys.org
yazanhomsi said:
The big bang model proposes that the rate at which the universe is expanding is now decelerating.
No it does not. This is true if the Universe contains only matter and radiation, but not in general.

yazanhomsi said:
The inflationary theory proposes that the speed of expansion and separation started out slow and now it is accelerating.
No, you are mixing up inflation with dark energy. They are not the same although they require similar conditions, i.e., a dominant component of dark energy of some sort.

yazanhomsi said:
Does that mean the big bang theory is wrong?
No.

yazanhomsi said:
I know the inflationary theory was introduced to modify the big bang theory. Can someone explain this to me?
Inflation was introduced to explain the apparent homogeneity of the initial conditions for the big bang (among other things). Without it, it becomes difficult to explain why the CMB is so homogeneous and why the Universe seems so flat.

Likes yazanhomsi
yazanhomsi said:
Hello everyone,

My question is: The big bang model proposes that the rate at which the universe is expanding is now decelerating. The inflationary theory proposes that the speed of expansion and separation started out slow and now it is accelerating.
But as we know, recently it has been found that the rate at which the universe expands is actually ACCELERATING (dark energy might possibly be the reason for that).
Does that mean the big bang theory is wrong? I know the inflationary theory was introduced to modify the big bang theory. Can someone explain this to me?
As Orodruin mentioned, the old view that the big bang theory had was that we only had matter and radiation in our universe. The big bang theory predicts a relationship between the matter/energy content of our universe and how the rate of expansion changes over time. But it doesn't make any predictions about what the contents of the universe are, so no, the accelerated expansion we observe today does not challenge the big bang theory at all. It just suggests different matter/energy contents of our universe (hence dark energy).

Inflation also doesn't offer any challenges for the big bang theory, as it's just different matter/energy contents again.

Now, the big bang theory also assumes that General Relativity is completely accurate. We know this cannot be true because quantum mechanics and general relativity do not agree with one another, and not knowing the correct theory of quantum gravity means we can't be sure how well this assumption holds for the early universe. From this, we know that the big bang theory is wrong at some level, though probably only during the very early universe.

Likes yazanhomsi

1. What is the Inflationary Theory?

The Inflationary Theory is a hypothesis in cosmology that explains the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages. It suggests that the universe underwent a period of exponential expansion, causing it to grow from a tiny subatomic size to a vast scale in a fraction of a second. This theory helps to explain certain observations, such as the uniformity of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

2. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is the prevailing explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as an incredibly hot and dense singularity around 13.8 billion years ago, and has been expanding and cooling ever since. This theory is supported by evidence such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the abundance of light elements in the universe.

3. How are the Inflationary and Big Bang Theories related?

The Inflationary Theory is a proposed extension of the Big Bang Theory. It is believed that the rapid expansion of the universe during the inflationary period set the stage for the Big Bang, providing the initial conditions for the universe as we know it. In other words, the Inflationary Theory helps to explain certain aspects of the Big Bang Theory that were previously unexplained.

4. What is the evidence for the Inflationary and Big Bang Theories?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports both the Inflationary and Big Bang Theories. This includes observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the large-scale structure of the universe. Additionally, experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider have provided further evidence for the predictions of these theories.

5. Are the Inflationary and Big Bang Theories widely accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, the Inflationary and Big Bang Theories are widely accepted in the scientific community as the most accurate explanations for the origin and evolution of the universe. However, scientists continue to study and refine these theories in order to better understand the universe and its mysteries.