The Life and Contributions of Felix Ehrenhaft

• Thread starter shawn95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, a high school student is seeking clarification on physicist Felix Ehrenhaft's contributions to physics, specifically his discovery of Photophoresis and his work on sub-atomic particles. They have been advised to choose a subject with easily understandable sources for their project and to avoid famous names such as Nicola Tesla who have already been extensively researched.
shawn95
Hello everyone!

I am a high school student in Physics and I have to do a project on physicist Felix Ehrenhaft. I am having trouble understanding his contributions to physics. Could someone please explain Photophoresis (he is credited to have discovered it) and his work on sub-atomic particles to me? In layman's terms please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome.
What was it about him that made you chose him as a subject for a project? It is usually a good ploy to go for a topic that's rich in understandable sources. You basically need good marks and, doing it the hard way doesn't often earn extra brownie points. I'm just giving you the (boring) advice of someone who's been there with numerous students and seen what pays off best per hour of effort.

This is supposed to be a research project, based on what you (and not someone else) could find out about a subject. There are plenty of famous names who did more mainstream stuff - and didn't manage to have a feud with Albert Einstein. Go for anyone else (Except Nicola Tesla lol).

Related to The Life and Contributions of Felix Ehrenhaft

What was the Felix Ehrenhaft Project?

The Felix Ehrenhaft Project was a scientific research project conducted by Austrian scientist Felix Ehrenhaft in the early 20th century. It focused on the study of extremely small particles, specifically subatomic particles and their properties.

What were the main findings of the Felix Ehrenhaft Project?

The main findings of the Felix Ehrenhaft Project challenged current scientific understanding of the subatomic world. Ehrenhaft claimed to have observed particles smaller than electrons, which he called "ultramicroscopic particles." He also claimed to have discovered a new force, which he called "torsion force."

What was the controversy surrounding the Felix Ehrenhaft Project?

The Felix Ehrenhaft Project was met with skepticism and criticism from the scientific community. Many scientists were unable to replicate Ehrenhaft's results and questioned the validity of his claims. This controversy led to the project being largely discredited and Ehrenhaft's reputation as a scientist being questioned.

What impact did the Felix Ehrenhaft Project have on the scientific community?

The Felix Ehrenhaft Project sparked debate and discussion within the scientific community about the nature of subatomic particles and the validity of Ehrenhaft's claims. While the project itself was largely discredited, it contributed to the development of new theories and experiments in the field of particle physics.

What can we learn from the Felix Ehrenhaft Project?

The Felix Ehrenhaft Project serves as an example of the importance of skepticism and replication in the scientific process. It also highlights the ever-evolving nature of science and the need to continuously question and test our understanding of the world.