Why Must the Expectation Value of H Be at Least the Lowest Energy Eigenvalue?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that for any normalized state, the expectation value of the Hamiltonian is greater than or equal to the lowest energy eigenvalue. The conversation covers using the eigenbasis of the Hamiltonian to expand the state and then using the time-independent Schrodinger equation to find the minimum value of the expectation value. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the expectation value is equal to the sum of the amplitudes multiplied by their corresponding energy eigenvalues, and since the amplitudes must sum to 1, the minimum value of the expectation value is equal to the lowest energy eigenvalue.
ehrenfest
Shankar 163

Homework Statement

Show that for any normalized |psi>, <psi|H|psi> is greater than or equal to E_0, where E_0 is the lowest energy eigenvalue. (Hint: Expand |psi> in the eigenbasis of H.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the question assumes the V = 0, so H = P^2/2m. The eigenvalues for the equation P^2/2m|p> = E|p> are then p = +/- (2mE)^(1/2) and the eigenkets are of the form | p = + (2mE)^(1/2)> and | p = (2mE)^(1/2)> (or in energy terms the eigenvalues are of the form |E,->, |E,+> and the eigenkets are the same as the momentum ones. I'm not really sure how you can expand anything with these though...

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this statement is valid for any Hamiltonian.
To spare your pencil, assume the system has only two basis states and develop <psi|H|psi>, you will see how obvious this result is.
(take the basis states as H-eigenvectors for simplicity, then imagine th consequence if you don't know these eigenvectors but would like to find the fundamental state, very useful statement indeed!)

This is how we expand [tex] \Psi [/tex] in terms of the eigenbasis of H :

Use the fact that the eigenvalues of H which is [tex]\{\Psi_0,\Psi_1,\Psi_2 ...\}}[/tex] forms the basis of a Hilbert space. Notice Hibert space is completed.
That means any vector [tex]\Psi[/tex] could be written as a linearly combinition of [tex]\Psi_0,\Psi_1,\Psi_2 ...[/tex]
i.e. [tex]\Psi = c_0\Psi_0+c_1\Psi_1+c_2\Psi_2+...[/tex].

The problem should be trivial from this point ( use the orthogonality of the eigenvector, although the eigenvectors in degenerate state are not orthogonal, they do not affect the result. )

Of course the end result is

<H> = p1 H1 + p2 H2 + ...

where pi is the probability of being in state i,
and 0<pi<1
and p1 + p2 + ... = 1

OK. So we use the time-independent version of the Schrodinger equation H * psi = E * psi.

So [tex]|\psi> = p0 * |H0> +p1 * |H1 > + ...= a0 * |E0> + a1 * | E1> + ... [/tex]

p (and my choice of a) are arbitrary letters, right? You did not use p for momentum did you lalbatros?

Now, [tex] <\psi| H | /psi> = (E0*a0 + E1*a1 + ...)</psi|/psi> = E0*a0 + E1*a1 + ... [/tex]

So the minimum of that expression would occur when a0 = 1 and ai = 0 for all i > 1.

Does that explanation work?

Your notation is confusing. I'll confuse the waters a little more by posting ugly, non-TeX. Which I prefer to garbled TeX. |psi>=sum(ci*|Ei>). ci are the amplitudes, |Ei> is the eigenstate corresponding to eigenvalue Ei. So <psi|H|psi>=sum(ci*conjugate(ci)*<Ei|H|Ei>)=sum(ci*conjugate(ci)*Ei*<Ei|Ei>).
Since we'll take |Ei> normalized <Ei|Ei>=1.
So <psi|H|psi>=sum(pi*Ei) where pi=ci*conjugate(ci). Since we'll also take |psi> normalized, sum(pi)=1.

So if sum(pi)=1, pi>=0, do you believe sum(pi*Ei)>=E0 where E0 is the smallest of the Ei's? Can you prove it?

Last edited:
I believe it.

sum(pi*Ei) >= sum(pi*E0) = sum(pi)*E0 = E0

How do you go from |psi>=sum(ci*|Ei>) to <psi|H|psi> = sum(ci*conjugate(ci)*<Ei|H|Ei>)?

Shouldn't it be something like <psi|H|psi> = sum(conjugate(ci)*<Ei|) H sum(ci*|Ei>) just by replacing |psi> with sum(ci*|Ei>) and < psi| with sum(conjugate(ci)*<Ei|)?

Last edited:
We've taken the |Ei> to be orthonormal, so <Ei|Ej>=delta(i,j) And H(ci*|Ei>)=ci*Ei*|Ei>. And your proof is perfect.

Last edited:
I see. Thanks.

You really do? You're not kidding, right?

Related to Why Must the Expectation Value of H Be at Least the Lowest Energy Eigenvalue?

What is the lowest energy eigenvalue?

The lowest energy eigenvalue refers to the minimum amount of energy that a quantum mechanical system can possess. It is also known as the ground state energy.

How is the lowest energy eigenvalue calculated?

The lowest energy eigenvalue is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system. This involves finding the wave function and applying boundary conditions to determine the lowest possible energy value.

What does the lowest energy eigenvalue represent?

The lowest energy eigenvalue represents the energy level at which a quantum mechanical system is most stable. It is the starting point for calculating the energy levels of other excited states in the system.

What factors can affect the lowest energy eigenvalue?

The lowest energy eigenvalue can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the system, the potential energy function, and the presence of external forces or interactions.

Why is the lowest energy eigenvalue important?

The lowest energy eigenvalue is important because it provides insight into the stability and behavior of a quantum mechanical system. It also serves as the basis for understanding the energy levels and transitions in the system.