The maximum length that a spring can stretch in reality

In summary, the problem is to determine the necessary stretched length of a spring with a 1-kg mass attached in order to change the mass of the spring-mass system by 10^-9 kg. Using the formula for change in potential energy and the given values, it is determined that the spring should be stretched by 424.26m to achieve this change. However, it is unclear if such a stretch length is feasible.
Edel Crine
Homework Statement
Is it possible to stretch a spring about 400m from its rest position in reality?
Relevant Equations
F=-kx
In detail, I came up with 424m for the stretched length of a spring in order to change the mass of an object by 10^-9kg which originally was 1 kg. Problem said, "is it feasible?"
In my opinion, there is no spring that can be stretched for this long, so it is not feasible. However, I'm not sure whether is it possible or not...

Physics news on Phys.org
Edel Crine said:
Homework Statement:: Is it possible to stretch a spring about 400m from its rest position in reality?
Relevant Equations:: F=-kx

In detail, I came up with 424m for the stretched length of a spring in order to change the mass of an object by 10^-9kg which originally was 1 kg.
Sorry, this makes no sense to me. Mass of what object? What mechanism is causing the mass to change? Can you show your detailed calculations that result in 424m?

And if a coil spring has a diameter of 800m, it probably can be stretched out 400m without any plastic deformation. What a strange question, IMO...

Likes Edel Crine
berkeman said:
Sorry, this makes no sense to me. Mass of what object? What mechanism is causing the mass to change? Can you show your detailed calculations that result in 424m?

And if a coil spring has a diameter of 800m, it probably can be stretched out 400m without any plastic deformation. What a strange question, IMO...
My bad! So the question would be, a 1-kg mass attached horizontally to a spring with constant k = 1000N/m. How much should I stretch it to change the mass of this spring-mass system by 10^-9 kg? Is it feasible?

So I used the formula for change in potential energy,
ΔE = ΔmC^2 = (10^-9kg)(3*10^8m/s) = 9*10^7 J.
In this problem, ΔE = ΔU = 0.5k(xf^2-xi^2)-0.5k(xi), but xi is 0, so it would be:
ΔE = ΔU = 0.5k(xf)^2.
xf = √(2ΔE/k) = 424.26 m.
Therefore, the spring should be stretched by 424.26m in order to change its mass to 10^-9kg.
This is my work so far and I am not sure whether is it feasible or not...

1. How long can a spring stretch before it breaks?

The maximum length that a spring can stretch before it breaks varies depending on the material and design of the spring. However, most springs have a maximum stretch length of about 1.5 to 2 times their original length.

2. Is there a limit to the number of times a spring can be stretched?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of times a spring can be stretched before it loses its elasticity and becomes permanently deformed. This limit is known as the spring's fatigue life and can vary greatly depending on the material and design of the spring.

3. Can a spring stretch indefinitely?

No, a spring cannot stretch indefinitely. As the spring is stretched, it experiences an increase in tension and deformation, which eventually leads to its breaking point. Additionally, the material of the spring also has a maximum elastic limit, beyond which it cannot stretch without permanently deforming.

4. How does the weight of an object affect the maximum stretch of a spring?

The weight of an object attached to a spring can affect its maximum stretch. The heavier the object, the more force is required to stretch the spring to its maximum length. This can lead to the spring breaking if it exceeds its maximum stretch capacity.

5. Can the temperature affect the maximum stretch of a spring?

Yes, the temperature can affect the maximum stretch of a spring. Changes in temperature can cause the material of the spring to expand or contract, which can alter its maximum stretch capacity. Extreme temperatures can also weaken the material of the spring, making it more prone to breaking.