The minimum applied force before an object slips off wall

In summary, for a horizontal force F applied to hold a block against a vertical wall, with coefficients of kinetic and static friction of 0.81 and 0.87 respectively, the total contact force exerted by the block on the wall is 19N approximately and the angle it makes with the horizontal is 90 degrees.
blueray101

Homework Statement

A horizontal force F is applied to hold a block, mass m = 1.7 kg against a vertical wall. The coefficients of kinetic and static friction between the block and wall are 0.81 and 0.87 respectively. F is gradually reduced until the block falls. Just before it falls, what is the magnitude of the total contact force Fc exerted by the block on the wall, and what is the angle θ it makes with horizontal? (+ve for above, -ve for below the horizontal).

Homework Equations

μsN=Ff
F=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

So, if weight surpasses friction, it slips.

μsN<W

N<W/μs

N=1.7*9.8/0.87=19N approximately

I have no clue what it is referring to when it asks me to find the angle. The contact force seems to be horizontal so angle is 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
blueray101 said:

Homework Statement

A horizontal force F is applied to hold a block, mass m = 1.7 kg against a vertical wall. The coefficients of kinetic and static friction between the block and wall are 0.81 and 0.87 respectively. F is gradually reduced until the block falls. Just before it falls, what is the magnitude of the total contact force Fc exerted by the block on the wall, and what is the angle θ it makes with horizontal? (+ve for above, -ve for below the horizontal).

Homework Equations

μsN=Ff
F=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

So, if weight surpasses friction, it slips.

μsN<W

N<W/μs

N=1.7*9.8/0.87=19N approximately

I have no clue what it is referring to when it asks me to find the angle. The contact force seems to be horizontal so angle is 0?
The total contact force consists of the frictional force and the normal force.

haruspex said:
The total contact force consists of the frictional force and the normal force.
Is this directed at the 2nd or 1st part of the question? I assume the first part is correct then?

If the contact force is vertical, then the angle it makes with the horizontal is 90 degrees?

blueray101 said:
Is this directed at the 2nd or 1st part of the question? I assume the first part is correct then?

If the contact force is vertical, then the angle it makes with the horizontal is 90 degrees?
You need to find the angle of the net force. 2 Forces are considered contact forces: Friction and normal force here that is what he meant

blueray101 said:
Both parts. You have to think of the normal force and frictional force as adding up, vectorially, to a single contact force. The question is aksing for its magnitude snd direction.

1. What is the minimum applied force before an object slips off a wall?

The minimum applied force before an object slips off a wall is known as the coefficient of static friction. This value varies depending on the materials of the object and the wall, and can be calculated using the equation μs = Fs/N, where μs is the coefficient of static friction, Fs is the maximum applied force before slipping, and N is the normal force.

2. How does the surface area of the object affect the minimum applied force?

The surface area of an object does not directly affect the minimum applied force before slipping. However, a larger surface area can distribute the force over a larger area, decreasing the pressure and increasing the friction between the object and the wall, making it less likely to slip.

3. Does the weight of the object play a role in the minimum applied force before slipping?

Yes, the weight of the object does play a role in the minimum applied force before slipping. The greater the weight of the object, the greater the normal force acting on it, which in turn increases the maximum force it can withstand before slipping.

4. Can the angle of the wall affect the minimum applied force before slipping?

Yes, the angle of the wall can affect the minimum applied force before slipping. The steeper the angle of the wall, the greater the normal force acting on the object, which in turn increases the maximum force it can withstand before slipping.

5. How can the coefficient of static friction be increased to prevent an object from slipping off a wall?

The coefficient of static friction can be increased by increasing the roughness or stickiness of the surfaces in contact, such as adding texture or using adhesives. Additionally, increasing the weight or surface area of the object can also increase the friction and prevent slipping.