The Myth of GM Seed Causing Farmer Suicides

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    gm Seed
In summary: I'm not kidding.It's an overhyped exaggeration of possible health side effects. Sort of like the same hysteria surrounding radiation and radioactivity. While it increases the risk of adverse health effects (radiation I mean, the science is still out on GMOs), the risk is extremely small except in large doses. For this reason, some people say "Any increase is too much!" I usually tell them not to live in Denver (it has a higher background level than Los Angeles, e.g.). The science supports increased risk, but it takes a lot.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Or are people overreacting without understanding the science?

Greenpeace activists, wearing mock hazard suits, scaled the fences of the experimental farm last Thursday and destroyed a crop of genetically modified wheat with brush cutters. The wheat has been altered to lower its glycemic index in an attempt to see if the grain could have health benefits such as improving blood glucose levels and lowering cholesterol.

Greenpeace says it took the drastic action because of concerns over health, cross-contamination and the secrecy surrounding experiments at the farm, which were to include the first human trials of the crop.

http://news.yahoo.com/aussie-police-shut-greenpeace-hq-seize-evidence-081852648.html

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't quite get what they are protesting against.
What health risks exactly?
What kind of cross-contamination?
What is the secrecy about?

I kind of assume the Greenpeace activists are not crackpots, especially not since apparently Greenpeace as an organization supports the actions.
It seems to me there is more to it than is apparent from the article.

This article really provides too little information!
Can we get some more?

It's a perfect example of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria" people would rather sit in their ignorance and fear.

It makes me sick, don't these people realize that most modern crops, cattle and pets are the result of thousands of years of genetic modification? For all those kiloyears our only method available was selective breeding, now we have better technologies and it's suddenly an issue. Not to mention the already widespread adoption of http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/USA._Genetically_engineered_crops_timeline.gif" .

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't understand the criticisms of GM food. Do people think it'll somehow magically give them cancer or something like that?

aroc91 said:
I really don't understand the criticisms of GM food. Do people think it'll somehow magically give them cancer or something like that?

Yes.

I'm not kidding.

It's an overhyped exaggeration of possible health side effects. Sort of like the same hysteria surrounding radiation and radioactivity. While it increases the risk of adverse health effects (radiation I mean, the science is still out on GMOs), the risk is extremely small except in large doses. For this reason, some people say "Any increase is too much!" I usually tell them not to live in Denver (it has a higher background level than Los Angeles, e.g.). The science supports increased risk, but it takes a lot.

The same holds true for GMO foods, except the long-term health effects of these have not been studied on humans, simply because they haven't been around long enough (well, technically, the big ears of corn are GMO). So, some people say, "They could be bad for us!"

Now, those who oppose GMO patent issues, such as the monopolistic manipulation by the likes of Monsanto, I can understand.

So, to answer your question Evo, many people are overreacting. Whether they understand the science or not is irrelevant.

I like Serena said:
I don't quite get what they are protesting against.
What health risks exactly?
What kind of cross-contamination?
What is the secrecy about?

I kind of assume the Greenpeace activists are not crackpots, especially not since apparently Greenpeace as an organization supports the actions.
It seems to me there is more to it than is apparent from the article.

This article really provides too little information!
Can we get some more?

Re the bolded text: wow, my face-to-face experiences with activists from Greenpeace (and similar groups) are exactly opposite! I have found them to be closed-minded conformists, unwilling to see any other point of view other than theirs. They can regurgitate their script but aren't independent thinkers - in my opinion.

lisab said:
Re the bolded text: wow, my face-to-face experiences with activists from Greenpeace (and similar groups) are exactly opposite! I have found them to be closed-minded conformists, unwilling to see any other point of view other than theirs. They can regurgitate their script but aren't independent thinkers - in my opinion.

It's for reasons like this that one of the early and most prominent members of Greenpeace Patrick Moore now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore_(environmentalist)#Views". On the subject of genetically modified crops
In 2006, Moore addressed a Biotechnology Industry Organization conference in Waikiki saying, "There's no getting away from the fact that over 6 billion people wake up each day on this planet with real needs for food, energy and materials", and need genetically engineered crops to this end. He also told the gathering that global warming and the melting of glaciers is not necessarily a negative event because it creates more arable land and the use of forest products drives up demand for wood and spurs the planting of more trees.
It's no wonder that he's now so unpopular with people who believe in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy" as ardently as an fundamentalist.

lisab said:

ryan_m_b said:
It's for reasons like this that one of the early and most prominent members of Greenpeace Patrick Moore now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore_(environmentalist)#Views". On the subject of genetically modified crops

It's no wonder that he's now so unpopular with people who believe in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy" as ardently as an fundamentalist.

Interesting!
Just... interesting!

I didn't know this and it's interesting reading material.

I would still like to believe there are people within Greenpeace that care about people, animals, the fate of the world in general, and who do not behave like fundamentalist nut cases.
I hope they make themselves known...

There are many people here in Maine that would like to curb the use of GM seed. Many of them are organic farmers that work hard to preserve genetic diversity of seed-crops, and sell their seeds to Johnny's Selected Seeds, FedCo's seed cooperative, and other outlets.

Those businesses sell far and wide, and their viability is based on their ability to supply seeds that you can't get in the local hardware store. The local farmers are concerned primarily about cross-contamination, which could dilute the strains that they are preserving and promoting.

I have an additional concern. Insects adapt really quickly, and the heavy use of GM corn that includes BT genes might make it impossible for gardeners to plant corn without having to deal with heavy losses due to corn-borers and other pests. I already have problems with fruit pests that I can't properly address with natural controls because orchards in this area rely so heavily on insecticides. I am an individual, and can't provide a study to prove this, to please label this as personal experience, but it is as real as can be.

turbo-1 said:
There are many people here in Maine that would like to curb the use of GM seed. Many of them are organic farmers that work hard to preserve genetic diversity of seed-crops, and sell their seeds to Johnny's Selected Seeds, FedCo's seed cooperative, and other outlets.

Those businesses sell far and wide, and their viability is based on their ability to supply seeds that you can't get in the local hardware store. The local farmers are concerned primarily about cross-contamination, which could dilute the strains that they are preserving and promoting.
I don't believe that their personal profits are a good reason to ban GM seed. As was mentioned previoulsy, we have been modifying plants and animals since the beginning of time. Those so called "heirloom" plants are actually extremely modified from the original plants.

The tomato is native to South America. Genetic evidence shows the progenitors of tomatoes were herbaceous green plants with small green fruit and a center of diversity in the highlands of Peru.[2][3] One species, Solanum lycopersicum, was transported to Mexico, where it was grown and consumed by Mesoamerican civilizations. The exact date of domestication is not known. The first domesticated tomato may have been a little yellow fruit, similar in size to a cherry tomato, grown by the Aztecs of Central Mexico.[4][unreliable source?] The word "tomato" comes from the Nahuatl word tomatl, literally "the swelling fruit".[5]

Spanish explorer Cortés may have been the first to transfer the small yellow tomato to Europe after he captured the Aztec city of Tenochtítlan, now Mexico City, in 1521, although Christopher Columbus, a Genoese working for the Spanish monarchy, may have taken them back as early as 1493. The earliest discussion of the tomato in European literature appeared in an herbal written in 1544 by Pietro Andrea Mattioli, an Italian physician and botanist, who named it pomo d’oro, or "golden apple".[3]:13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato#History

Evo said:
I don't believe that their personal profits are a good reason to ban GM seed. As was mentioned previoulsy, we have been modifying plants and animals since the beginning of time. Those so called "heirloom" plants are actually extremely modified from the original plants.
It's not just a matter of personal profits, IMO. The Norweeds have been actively stockpiling seeds from far and wide, and I applaud the effort, because if GM varieties eventually prove to be not viable in the long term, we might have a bank to draw upon to re-establish healthy strains. Some of the vegetables that I grow are very old strains, and many of the apple trees on this property can't be found in any local orchard.

I'm not saying that genetic modification is bad, in and of itself, but we need to be cognizant of the impact of cross-pollination, and insect-adaptation WRT to GM crops. These are not insignificant problems, especially when addressing starvation in 3rd world countries in which reduced viability of seed from each crop means that the citizens have to keep buying new seed every year, instead of planting from reserves from last year's crop. That's a big deal, IMO. We can't properly address hunger and poverty by supplying seed that won't propagate reliably.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I'm not saying that genetic modification is bad, in and of itself, but we need to be cognizant of the impact of cross-pollination, and insect-adaptation WRT to GM crops. These are not insignificant problems, especially when addressing starvation in 3rd world countries in which reduced viability of seed from each crop means that the citizens have to keep buying new seed every year, instead of planting from reserves from last year's crop. That's a big deal, IMO. We can't properly address hunger and poverty by supplying seed that won't propagate reliably.
But isn't this more a problem with what some of the big companies are doing in order to protect their patented seed as opposed to just modifying the seed to produce better traits? Like the rice that has added beta-carotene that is so needed in under developed countries.

This is a really good read.

http://www.goldenrice.org/

turbo-1 said:
The Norweeds have been actively stockpiling seeds from far and wide, and I applaud the effort, because if GM varieties eventually prove to be not viable in the long term, we might have a bank to draw upon to re-establish healthy strains. Some of the vegetables that I grow are very old strains, and many of the apple trees on this property can't be found in any local orchard.

Stockpiling seeds is a good idea for many reasons. However GM crops are all radically different to each other, even the same gene can act differently when placed in two different biology's. It's highly unlikely that if we created batches of GM crops that we would one day find them to be unviable; firstly because they would undergo extensive testing first and secondly it's highly unlikely that all crops would be unviable for the same reason.

I like Serena said:
Why does one necessarily follow from the other?
I would still like to believe there are people within Greenpeace that care about people, animals, the fate of the world in general, and who do not behave like fundamentalist nut cases.
I don't see how one follows from the other here either...

Last edited:
While criminal sabotage just leaves people shaking their heads, the most damaging thing that such groups are doing is not even criminal:

While they're afraid that GM food might be harmful, in an indirect but still very real way, "natural" food causes people to die in some cases, when chosen over GM food. It causes people to die because crop yields are substantially lower with "natural" crops than with GM crops, so when countries refuse agricultural aid in the form of GM seeds, or more directly, refuse actual crops, they cause the deaths of their own people.

Though I doubt the normal definitions are sufficient to deal with it, this feels like murder to me.

russ_watters said:
While criminal sabotage just leaves people shaking their heads, the most damaging thing that such groups are doing is not even criminal:

While they're afraid that GM food might be harmful, in an indirect but still very real way, "natural" food causes people to die in some cases, when chosen over GM food. It causes people to die because crop yields are substantially lower with "natural" crops than with GM crops, so when countries refuse agricultural aid in the form of GM seeds, or more directly, refuse actual crops, they cause the deaths of their own people.

Though I doubt the normal definitions are sufficient to deal with it, this feels like murder to me.

Same here, golden rice is a key example. People who object to notions on vague ideological underpinnings such as "it's not natural" and "corporations just want money" smack me as childish aristocrats patronisingly making decisions for the poor of this world for their own good.

And while we're at it, what does "corporations just want money" have to do with the environment? Is greenpeace primarily environmental activists or political activists?

ryan_m_b said:
Same here, golden rice is a key example. People who object to notions on vague ideological underpinnings such as "it's not natural" and "corporations just want money" smack me as childish aristocrats patronisingly making decisions for the poor of this world for their own good.

I don't know much about GM foods , i would like to make a point here, corporations are here to make a profit ( i am not against making a profit). when you look at larger interest of people, we still have to depend on these corporations (in the case of GM seeds) who effectively control the pricing of food grains. In some countries the seeds are supplied by the government at a subsidized rate. Food price inflation is already an issue in some countries . But i do not see GM seeds solving the issue of price inflation, because they are effectively controlled by corporations

thorium1010 said:
I don't know much about GM foods , i would like to make a point here, corporations are here to make a profit ( i am not against making a profit). when you look at larger interest of people, we still have to depend on these corporations (in the case of GM seeds) who effectively control the pricing of food grains. In some countries the seeds are supplied by the government at a subsidized rate. Food price inflation is already an issue in some countries . But i do not see GM seeds solving the issue of price inflation, because they are effectively controlled by corporations

But this in itself is not a problem with GM foods nor corporations, this is a problem with the set up of that country. I think it is naive to assume the companies will always charge as much as possible to the detriment of the poor (note I am not denying that this has happened) especially in countries where there is a large media and government opposition to such things.

thorium1010 said:
Food price inflation is already an issue in some countries . But i do not see GM seeds solving the issue of price inflation, because they are effectively controlled by corporations
Certainly, GM food can't solve the issue of inflation - nor should it be expected/requried to - as it's an inherrent feature of the global economic system. But it will necessarily always be better than "natural" crops on that issue: if it didn't allow farmers to grow more crops for less money/land, farmers wouldn't use it. Increasing supply helps keep prices down...

...which, ironically, is itself a problem. Food prices are considered too low, at least by those making the decisions in the US. So we subsidise farmers.

russ_watters said:
Certainly, GM food can't solve the issue of inflation - nor should it be expected/requried to - as it's an inherrent feature of the global economic system. But it will necessarily always be better than "natural" crops on that issue: if it didn't allow farmers to grow more crops for less money/land, farmers wouldn't use it. Increasing supply helps keep prices down...

If GM food cannot control inflation, what advantage it would have over regular crops. Also i am still not convinced that all GM crops are better than regular crops . Certainly a few of them have definite advantages.

If GM food is marketed as having these advantages (disease resistant, more produce ) but yet cannot reduce food prices it would not make a difference in many countries.

thorium1010 said:
If GM food cannot control inflation, what advantage it would have over regular crops. Also i am still not convinced that all GM crops are better than regular crops . Certainly a few of them have definite advantages.

If GM food is marketed as having these advantages (disease resistant, more produce ) but yet cannot reduce food prices it would not make a difference in many countries.

Nobody said that all GM crops are appropriate or better. I don't see why you are conflating inflation with reduction in prices? The biggest advantage in GM crops is to supply nutrition that is unavailable elsewhere e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rice" . Remember it isn't just about increasing yield but providing crops to areas where no crops grow.

ryan_m_b said:
Nobody said that all GM crops are appropriate or better. I don't see why you are conflating inflation with reduction in prices? The biggest advantage in GM crops is to supply nutrition that is unavailable elsewhere e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rice" . Remember it isn't just about increasing yield but providing crops to areas where no crops grow.

Yes, nutrition can be argued as an advantage. But GM foods may not be cheap which means it is still not accessible to the poor ( which negates its advantage ). Maybe it can be grown in places where not much water is available, but it also comes down to affordability of these seeds (which is patented not free) especially in poor countries .

thorium1010 said:
Yes, nutrition can be argued as an advantage. But GM foods may not be cheap which means it is still not accessible to the poor ( which negates its advantage ). Maybe it can be grown in places where not much water is available, but it also comes down to affordability of these seeds (which is patented not free) especially in poor countries .

But I would put it to you that you are only assuming that the cost would be high. Part of the http://www.goldenrice.org/" is to provide these nutritional GM crops at an affordable price. Whilst some companies may employ unethical business practices not all of them would, in addition companies that design GM products specifically for the third world are not going to set them at unaffordable prices.

One problem with GM is less the genetics and more those who are disseminating said genetics; to wit, Monsanto who has arranged for local legislations in India and Iraq to make it illegal to save seeds. In tandem with this and their genetically modified strains which they sell for much larger sums, the native farmers have to have a perfect season just to make due, and suicide rates have sextupled. Meanwhile, said same company deliberately plants their crops near small farmers in the states, wait for some cross-pollenation to occur, then sue the competition out of business. Further, said same company again has seen their genetic strains turning up in the wild, contaminating even heritage sites beyond recognition.

Genetic modification isn't necessarily bad; it just has the potential to do great damage; not unlike some any other invention... but in the hands of people who prioritize their own prosperity over that of the community, it becomes a deadly weapon.

ryan_m_b said:
But I would put it to you that you are only assuming that the cost would be high. Part of the http://www.goldenrice.org/" is to provide these nutritional GM crops at an affordable price. Whilst some companies may employ unethical business practices not all of them would, in addition companies that design GM products specifically for the third world are not going to set them at unaffordable prices.
Actualy the golden rice project wants to offer the rice for free.

Golden Rice will reach those who need it at no additional cost
Those who need the product of this new technology most are those who can least afford buying a mixed diet, rich in essential nutrients. This has been taken into consideration by the creators of Golden Rice technology, Professors Peter Beyer and Ingo Portrykus, and the crop protection company Syngenta, who have donated it for humanitarian use in developing countries, free of charge.
But the countries it's been donated to are refusing it due to scare tactics by anti-GM groups.

Ironically, some of the greatest advantages of using GM crops are environmental. Although people like to tout things like golden rice, the vast majority of GM crops in use are those engineered for herbicide resistance, namely resistance to glyphosate (Round up). Glyphosate is a relatively safe, broad-specturm herbicide. It is able to kill many species of weeds, and because it biodegrades quickly, it is less harmful to the environment than other longer-lived herbicides. While glyphosate would kill most normal crops, GM crops have been engineered to tolerate glyphosate, allowing farms to use glyphosate for weed control in fields where glyphosate-resistant crops are growing.

Being able to control weeds using a single herbicide versus a cocktail of many herbicides, many of which are less environmentally-friendly than glyphosate, is a huge advantage of GM crops. Yes, treating fields with glyphosate still has environmental consequences, but it is much better than most of the alternative chemicals used for weed control. Thus, these GM crops reduce the amount of agricultural chemical that these farms use, and allows the farms to use chemicals that are much more environmentally-friendly than their alternatives. Furthermore, whereas farms used to have to till their fields to plow up weeds and mix herbicides into the soil, glyphosate is effective enough to allow farmers to keep tilling to a minimum. Reducing the amount of tilling on the farm reduces soil erosion, prevents runoff of agricultural chemical into water supplies, and reduces CO2 emissions because the farms do not have to run their heavy machinery as often. Of course, since the companies that sell GM crops are the same companies that sell agricultural chemicals, they do not often tout these environmental benefits as it necessarily shines a bad light on some of their other products.

However, I would be remiss if I did not also mention that the widespread use of glyphosate is contributing to the development of glyphosate-resistant "superweeds." Should these become more prevalent, this advantage of glyphosate-resistant GM crops would not be so great.

For more info see the following piece from the NY times. It focuses on the problem of glyphosate-resistant weeds but in the process talks about the environmental benefits of using glyphosate-resistant crops: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/business/energy-environment/04weed.html?emc=eta1

Last edited:
Ygggdrasil said:
Ironically, some of the greatest advantages of using GM crops are environmental.
An excellent example Ygggdrasil.

thorium1010 said:
If GM food cannot control inflation, what advantage it would have over regular crops.
It can't control inflation, but it is still better at mitigating price inflation than non-GM crops. As I said, ultimately, the primary benefit is that GM crops are cheaper for the farmer and the consumer.
Also i am still not convinced that all GM crops are better than regular crops . Certainly a few of them have definite advantages.

[separate post]But GM foods may not be cheap which means it is still not accessible to the poor ( which negates its advantage ). Maybe it can be grown in places where not much water is available, but it also comes down to affordability of these seeds (which is patented not free) especially in poor countries .
I've never once seen GM food marketed, much less marketed as having a certain physical advantage. Again, ultimately to the consumer, the primary advantage is the price is lower. If the price wasn't lower, there'd be no reason for farmers or consumers to buy them.

ryan_m_b said:
Remember it isn't just about increasing yield but providing crops to areas where no crops grow.
Whether true or not, that's still an issue of cost. If it were cheaper to import crops than grow them, people would import them.

~jet said:
One problem with GM is less the genetics and more those who are disseminating said genetics; to wit, Monsanto who has arranged for local legislations in India and Iraq to make it illegal to save seeds. In tandem with this and their genetically modified strains which they sell for much larger sums, the native farmers have to have a perfect season just to make due, and suicide rates have sextupled.
I'd like to see citation of that. It wouldn't make any sense for a farmer to buy a GM seed if he could make a better profit from a non-GM seed.

The US National Academies commissioned a study on the effects of GM crops in the US, and this study was published in 2010 (the full report is available at https://download.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12804). In a summary of the report, the NY Times writes:
"The report found that the crops allowed farmers to either reduce chemical spraying or to use less harmful chemicals. The crops also had lower production costs, higher output or extra convenience, benefits that generally outweighed the higher costs of the engineered seeds."
(https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/business/energy-environment/14crop.html)

So yes, the GM seeds are more expensive, but at least for farmers in the US, the benefits from using these seeds allow the farmers to recoup the extra cost.

russ_watters said:
I've never once seen GM food marketed, much less marketed as having a certain physical advantage.

when i said GM food, i meant GM seeds as marketed by some corporates. And they certainly been marketed as having more advantage.
http://www.monsanto.com/products/Pages/monsanto-agricultural-seeds.aspx"

Back