The Normal Force and Inclined Planes

I found this solution on a forum where someone else was struggling with a similar problem and someone else gave the solution. I just rewrote it in my own words for better understanding.
faunmia

Homework Statement

A woman pushes her 150kg motorcycle up a slope of 5 degrees with a constant speed of 2 m/s. She achieves this by exerting a force on the bike of 450N parallel to the slope. What is the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the bike?

Homework Equations

a= gsin(angle)
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a= (150 x 9.8) x sin5
F= 150 x 128
F= 19216.84

but the answer is ment to be 322 N, I am not really sure where I am going wrong, any help would be greatly appriciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The motorcycle is pushed at a constant speed up the slope. This means that the forces (components) acting along the direction of the slope cancel each other out.

ΣFx = 450N – Ff – 150kgx9.8ms-1xSin5
Ff = 321.8810582 = 322N

Or you could use the formula:
Ff = μFn

but you arent given μ...

Last edited:
Spot on with your first way of solving for Ff. It seems that you might be a bit unsure about getting to the solution due to the -1 in front of the sin?

We know that the sum of the forces along the slope need to be zero (no acceleration along the slope)

[tex]\Sigma F_x = 0[/tex]
therefore
[tex]0 = 450 - Ff - mg\sin(5^o)[/tex]
or
[tex]Ff = 450 - mg\sin(5^o)[/tex]

Last edited:
Ahh yes, sorry.. I made a mistake.

While calculating the Fn, I mistaken the g (in Fn=mg) to be a velocity... what i was supposed to write was:

150kg x 9.8ms^-2 x Sin5

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Do you understand the solution? It seems you got it from somewhere else?

Oh yes, I understand it... I study Engineering Technology and last year we studied all these types of questions.

Related to The Normal Force and Inclined Planes

1. What is the normal force on an object on an inclined plane?

The normal force on an object on an inclined plane is the perpendicular force exerted by the surface of the plane on the object. It is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the component of the object's weight that is perpendicular to the plane.

2. How do you calculate the normal force on an object on an inclined plane?

The normal force can be calculated using the formula FN = mg cosθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. Does the normal force change if the angle of the inclined plane changes?

Yes, the normal force changes with the angle of the inclined plane. As the angle increases, the component of the object's weight perpendicular to the plane decreases, resulting in a decrease in the normal force.

4. How does the normal force affect an object's motion on an inclined plane?

The normal force is responsible for balancing the weight of the object on the inclined plane. If the normal force is greater than the component of the weight along the incline, the object will remain stationary. If the component of the weight along the incline is greater than the normal force, the object will accelerate down the incline.

5. Can the normal force ever be greater than the weight of an object on an inclined plane?

No, the normal force can never be greater than the weight of the object on an inclined plane. The normal force is always equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the component of the weight perpendicular to the plane.