The Operation of Multiple Ranges in Definite Integration

In summary, the equation is a solution to an iterated integral and the multiple ranges indicate the bounds of integration for each variable. The operation involves calculating each integral separately and then summing them together. The order of integration does not matter.
Hypatio
I have the equation
[tex]G[xy\textup{ln}(z+R)+xz\textup{ln}(y+R)+yz\textup{ln}(x+R)]|^{x_2-x_0}_{x_1-x_0}|^{y_2-y_0}_{y_1-y_0}|^{z_2-z_0}_{z_1-z_0}

[/tex]
My question is what exactly is the operation implied by having multiple ranges (x_2-x_0 to x_1-x_0, y_2-y_0 to y_1-y_0, and z_2-z_0 to z_1-z_0)? Do you perform the difference operation for each range and then add them together?

Edit: Fixed title.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hypatio said:
I have the equation
[tex]G[xy\textup{ln}(z+R)+xz\textup{ln}(y+R)+yz\textup{ln}(x+R)]|^{x_2-x_0}_{x_1-x_0}|^{y_2-y_0}_{y_1-y_0}|^{z_2-z_0}_{z_1-z_0}
[/tex]
First off, this isn't an equation (there's no = in it). Is this supposed to be an iterated integral?
Hypatio said:
My question is what exactly is the operation implied by having multiple ranges (x_2-x_0 to x_1-x_0, y_2-y_0 to y_1-y_0, and z_2-z_0 to z_1-z_0)? Do you perform the difference operation for each range and then add them together?

Edit: Fixed title.

Mark44 said:
First off, this isn't an equation (there's no = in it). Is this supposed to be an iterated integral?
It equals some value, N.

It is (part of) the solution to the equation

[tex]N=G\int_{x_1}^{x_2}\int_{y_1}^{y_2}\int_{z_1}^{z_2}\frac{1}{R}dzdydx[/tex]

I just don't understand the notation of the three bars in the solution.

They are bounds. For example...

[tex]\int_0^3 x^2 dx = \frac{x^3}{3} |_0^3[/tex]

Does that answer your question?

Char. Limit said:
They are bounds. For example...

[tex]\int_0^3 x^2 dx = \frac{x^3}{3} |_0^3[/tex]

Does that answer your question?

I know that they are bounds, but what do I do when there is more than one set of bounds? Do I calculate each of the three and then add them together or something different?

I really don't know. I wouldn't work all of the integrals at once, then apply all of the bounds. I would work through one integral at a time.

[tex]f(x,y, z)\left|_{x= a}^b\left|_{y= c}^d\left|_{z= e}^f= f(b, y, z)- f(a, y, z)\left|_{y= c}^dleft|_{z= e}^f[/tex]
[tex]= f(b, d, z)- f(a, c, z)- (f(b, d, z)- f(b, c, z))\left|_{z= e}^f= f(b, d, z)+ f(b, c, z)- f(a, c, z)- f(b, d, z))\left|_{z= e}^f[/tex]
[tex]= f(b, d, z)+ f(a, c, f)+ f(a, d, f)+ f(a, c, f)- (f(a, d, f)+ f(a, c, f)+ f(b, d, e)+ f(b, c, f))[/tex]

In other words, it doesn't matter in which order you evaluate x, y, or z.

(This is integrating over a rectangular solid. In more general cases, where the limits on one integral will depend on another variable, of course, the order is important.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to The Operation of Multiple Ranges in Definite Integration

1. What is the purpose of finding the range of definite integration?

The range of definite integration is used to calculate the total area under a curve or between two curves. It is also used to find the total displacement of an object given its velocity function.

2. How is the range of definite integration calculated?

The range of definite integration is calculated by evaluating the definite integral over a given interval. This involves finding the antiderivative of the function and plugging in the upper and lower limits of the interval.

3. What is the significance of the upper and lower limits in definite integration?

The upper and lower limits in definite integration represent the starting and ending points of the interval over which the integral is being evaluated. They determine the range or area being calculated.

4. Can the range of definite integration be negative?

Yes, the range of definite integration can be negative if the function being integrated has negative values over the given interval. This indicates that the area under the curve in that interval is below the x-axis.

5. How is the range of definite integration affected by the shape of the curve?

The shape of the curve can greatly affect the range of definite integration. If the curve is steep, the range will be larger as the area under the curve will be greater. If the curve is flat, the range will be smaller as the area under the curve will be smaller.