The physics between stars and planets homework question?

In summary, the stars in a binary star system orbit around their center of mass in a circular path. The centripetal force between the stars is supplied by gravity.
joeyjane

Homework Statement

A binary star system consists of two equal mass stars that revolve in circular orbits
about their center of mass. The period of the motion, T = 25.5 days, and the
orbital speed v = 220 km/s of the stars can be measured from telescopic observations.
What is the mass of each star?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure at all what I could use for solving this...

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking I could solve it using Kepler's third law, but I think since the orbits are circular I can't use that. I'm also struggling with the concepts involved in this question, so if anyone has any tidbits of help I would greatly appreciate that :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Circular motion implies a centripetal force (or acceleration). Gravity is supplying the force. Note that the stars are circling the center of gravity, so that the radius of their circular orbits is half the distance between the two stars.

For one star, write the equations for the gravitational force and the centripetal force for circular motion. An expression for the radius of the orbit can be found from the relationship between the circumference of the orbit, the velocity, and the period.

no you can use kelpers 3rd law, I am pretty sure.
I think you can use the velocity to find semi major axis( if i remember correctly) and than just solve for M (total mass) than divide by 2 to find each mass

Gneill, I'm a little confused on how you get the formula for the period without using kepler's 3rd. I just found in my homework instructions that it says to not use kepler's 3rd law. Any advice?

You're given the period and the velocity. You know how to compute the length of the path (it's a circle of some radius r). So you can find an expression for the radius from that information. That's the radius about the center of gravity.

Next write the expression for the centripetal force felt by each star according to the usual circular motion equations.

Next write the expression for the force due to gravity that is felt by each star. Note that the distance between the stars is twice the radius that you found above.

What's supplying the centripetal force? Equate things accordingly and substitute for the radius as required.

The magnitude of the gravitational force between two objects of mass m1 and m2, separated by a distance of d:

[tex]F_{\text{Gravity}}=G\frac{m_1 m_2}{d^2}[/tex]

Alright, so far I have Fg=(G(2m1))/R2

(2m1 because the masses are equal)

and I'm trying to use C=2[tex]\pi[/tex]R

and Ac=v2/R

This is where I start to get a little lost when I'm trying to apply the period somehow to get R. I don't really think I need the centripetal acceleration formula, but it was the only one I could think of that had both V and R in it. (sorry I'm not as quick at grasping these concepts, this is a completely different shift from what we were just learning and I'm struggling to understand it)

joeyjane said:
Alright, so far I have Fg=(G(2m1))/R2

(2m1 because the masses are equal)

and I'm trying to use C=2[tex]\pi[/tex]R

and Ac=v2/R

This is where I start to get a little lost when I'm trying to apply the period somehow to get R. I don't really think I need the centripetal acceleration formula, but it was the only one I could think of that had both V and R in it. (sorry I'm not as quick at grasping these concepts, this is a completely different shift from what we were just learning and I'm struggling to understand it)

In the gravitational force equation, note that 2m is not the same as m2. The gravitational force is

[tex] F_g = G \frac{m_1 m_2}{d^2} = G \frac{m^2}{d^2} [/tex]

when m1 = m2 = m, and d is the distance between the masses. NOTE THAT THE DISTANCE IS NOT R IN THIS CASE. It's 2R.

If you multiply the centripetal acceleration by the mass of the star, you get the centripetal force (remember, F = MA). So Fc=mv2/R

Related to The physics between stars and planets homework question?

1. What is the relationship between stars and planets?

The relationship between stars and planets is that planets orbit around stars due to the gravitational pull of the star. Stars also play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of planets.

2. How do stars and planets interact with each other?

Stars and planets interact through the force of gravity, which causes planets to orbit around stars. The star's radiation and energy also influence the atmosphere and surface of planets, and can even affect their formation and composition.

3. What role does physics play in the study of stars and planets?

Physics plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior and characteristics of stars and planets. It helps us explain how objects in space interact with each other, and how they form and evolve over time.

4. How does the physics of stars and planets affect our daily lives?

The physics of stars and planets has a significant impact on our daily lives. For example, the gravitational pull of the Sun and Moon causes the tides, and the Earth's rotation around the Sun creates the seasons. Also, many modern technologies, such as GPS and satellite communications, rely on our understanding of physics in space.

5. What are some current research topics in the physics of stars and planets?

Some current research topics in the physics of stars and planets include studying exoplanets (planets outside of our solar system), exploring the formation and evolution of planets, and investigating the properties of stars and their impact on their surrounding planets. There is also ongoing research on the search for habitable planets and the potential for extraterrestrial life.