The power of a multistage compressor

In summary,There is no equation to find the work done, power and efficiency of a multistage compressor with a summation of calculating the power as so, instead of calculating individual power and summing at the end. Any citiations is also good to know.
vishnu123
TL;DR Summary
how to calculate the power of a multistage compressor
is there any equation to find the work done, power and efficiency of a multistage compressor with a summation of calculating the power as so, instead of calculating individual power and summing at the end. any citiations is also good to know.
thanking you,
with regards,
vishnuvardhan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried to derive such a relationship, at least for the reversible case?

I haven't tried i was looking for it. i found a relation to find the overall work of the compressor, but i need to find the individual pressure for each stages. i am looking for a relation where we can find the over all power with just few details.

I mean, have you tried deriving it yourself? Do you know how to do a single compressor?

no i have'nt i wam looking for how to model the compressor. I don't have any details or design specifications of the compressor. all I know is jus the input pressurem of 1bar and massflow rate of the gas and the output pressure of 80bars. With the basic calculations formulas I can calculate the power required for a single stage. I need few details about, what's the optimal pressure ratio for the compressor and any relation to find the final output pressure at the last stage of the compressor.
the equations i know are:
Pressure ratio = (P_out/P_in)^(1/n)
total work = (n*k*P_in*V_in)/(k-1)*((P_(2*n)/P_in)^((k-1)/2n)-1)

where, n = number of stages
k = heat capacity ratio
V_in = inlet volume of gas
and i also need to find the efficiency of the compressor.

vishnu123 said:
no i have'nt i wam looking for how to model the compressor. I don't have any details or design specifications of the compressor. all I know is jus the input pressurem of 1bar and massflow rate of the gas and the output pressure of 80bars. With the basic calculations formulas I can calculate the power required for a single stage. I need few details about, what's the optimal pressure ratio for the compressor and any relation to find the final output pressure at the last stage of the compressor.
the equations i know are:
Pressure ratio = (P_out/P_in)^(1/n)
total work = (n*k*P_in*V_in)/(k-1)*((P_(2*n)/P_in)^((k-1)/2n)-1)

where, n = number of stages
k = heat capacity ratio
V_in = inlet volume of gas
and i also need to find the efficiency of the compressor.
This is a series of continuous flow compressors, right?

yes it is a series of continuous flow compressors, and i have designed the general model of the compressor using the basic equations. The final temperature out is very high, as i haven't used any intercooling in between the stages. I have used 3 stage compressor, where in third stage the pressure goes from 18.93 to 80 bar and temperaature rise of about 1100kelvin. Are there any equations to carryout intercooling of the air, apart from heat exchanger equations?

1. What is a multistage compressor?

A multistage compressor is a type of mechanical device used to increase the pressure of a gas by reducing its volume. It consists of multiple stages, each with a set of rotating blades or vanes that compress the gas as it passes through.

2. What is the advantage of using a multistage compressor?

The main advantage of a multistage compressor is its ability to achieve higher pressure ratios compared to single-stage compressors. This makes it ideal for applications that require a high level of compression, such as in industrial processes or aircraft engines.

3. How does a multistage compressor work?

A multistage compressor works by using a series of rotating blades or vanes to compress the gas as it passes through each stage. The gas is first compressed in the first stage, then it moves on to the next stage where it is further compressed, and so on until the desired pressure is achieved.

4. What are the different types of multistage compressors?

There are two main types of multistage compressors: axial and centrifugal. Axial compressors use a series of rotating blades to compress the gas, while centrifugal compressors use a combination of rotating blades and a diffuser to achieve compression.

5. What are some common applications of multistage compressors?

Multistage compressors are commonly used in a variety of industries, including oil and gas, chemical processing, power generation, and aerospace. They are also used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, as well as in household appliances like refrigerators and freezers.