The Product of two Unitary Matrices is Unitary Proof

In summary, the task is to prove that the product of two nxn unitary matrices is also unitary. This is shown by using summation notation to manipulate the elements of the matrices and showing that they satisfy the condition for unitarity. The same approach can also be used to prove that the sum of two nxn unitary matrices is also unitary.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that the product of two nxn unitary matrices is unitary. Is the same true of the sum of two nxn unitary matrices?

Homework Equations

Unitary if A†A=I
Where † = hermitian conjugate
I = identity matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
We have the condition: (AB)†(AB)=I
I can then apply summation notation for the elements of the matrices

[itex](AB)^†(AB) = \Big( \sum_{k=1}^j(AB)^†_{ij}(AB)_{ij} \Big)[/itex]Now, the idea, I suppose, is to manipulate the sum so that we see A^† *A and B^†*B and we can conclude that since A and B are unitary, then A*B is unitary.

This seems coherent, and beautiful.

I assume summation notation is needed to make this distinction. Correct?

And if this is so, I will undo the hermitian conjugate first and then manuever the pieces of the elements.
Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me write out my proof for checking:

1. [itex](AB)^†(AB)_{ij} = \Big( \sum_{k=1}^j(AB)^†_{ij}(AB)_{ij} \Big)[/itex]
by element notation
2. [itex](AB)^†(AB)_{ij} = \Big( \sum_{k=1}^j(AB)^*_{ji}(AB)_{ij} \Big)[/itex]
by hermitian conjugate definition
3. [itex](AB)^†(AB)_{ij} = \Big( \sum_{k=1}^jA^*_{ji}B^*_{ji}A_{ij}B_{ij} \Big)[/itex]
By proven earlier property that (AB)*=A*B* and earlier proposition that ABij =AijBij
4.[itex](AB)^†(AB)_{ij} = \Big( \sum_{k=1}^jA^*_{ji}A_{ij}B^*_{ji}B_{ij} \Big)[/itex]
By operations, since we are dealing with components
5.[itex](AB)^†(AB)_{ij} = \Big( \sum_{k=1}^jI_{ij}I_{ij} \Big)[/itex]
By earlier conditions stating these are two unitary matrices
6. Therefore I_ij = I_ij

And walouh! First part, done.

Any errors in my thinking?

1. What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix with complex entries whose conjugate transpose is equal to its inverse. This means that the product of a unitary matrix and its conjugate transpose is the identity matrix.

2. How do you prove that the product of two unitary matrices is also unitary?

To prove that the product of two unitary matrices is unitary, we need to show that the product of the two matrices is equal to the identity matrix. This can be done by using the definition of a unitary matrix and the properties of matrix multiplication.

3. What is the significance of the product of two unitary matrices being unitary?

The product of two unitary matrices being unitary is significant because it means that the resulting matrix also has the properties of a unitary matrix. This includes being a square matrix with complex entries and having an inverse that is equal to its conjugate transpose.

4. Can the product of two non-unitary matrices be unitary?

No, the product of two non-unitary matrices cannot be unitary. This is because the product of non-unitary matrices will not have the properties of a unitary matrix, such as having an inverse that is equal to its conjugate transpose.

5. How is the concept of unitary matrices applied in science?

Unitary matrices are commonly used in quantum mechanics and signal processing. In quantum mechanics, unitary matrices represent operations that preserve the normalization of quantum states. In signal processing, unitary matrices are used in transformations such as Fourier transforms and wavelet transforms.