The Q factor of the nuclear reaction problem?

In summary, after using the conservation of energy and momentum for a nuclear interaction, the conversation discussed deriving the Q factor equation. One suggestion was to use the substitution ##\sqrt{\epsilon '}=x##, which would result in a quadratic equation in ##x##. It was mentioned that ##Q## must be under the radical for the units to come out correctly. The suggestion was tried and proved successful.
patric44
Homework Statement
i have a problem deriving the following equation involving the Q factor and the energies of the residual nucleus and the outgoing particle in a nuclear reaction ?
Relevant Equations
the equation is attached
after using the conservation of energy and momentum for a nuclear interaction i arrived to the following equation for the q factor as the book did
, but can't get my head around deriving the second equation from the Q equation ?
equation.png

i will appreciate any help .
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the substitution ##\sqrt{\epsilon '}=x##? That should give you a quadratic equation in ##x##. I have not done it, but that's what I would try first.

Edit: It looks like ##Q## must be under the radical to make the units come out right.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
Have you tried the substitution ##\sqrt{\epsilon '}=x##? That should give you a quadratic equation in ##x##. I have not done it, but that's what I would try first.

Edit: It looks like ##Q## must be under the radical to make the units come out right.
thanks a lot it worked :smile:

1. What is the Q factor of a nuclear reaction?

The Q factor of a nuclear reaction is the amount of energy released or absorbed during the reaction. It is calculated by subtracting the total mass of the products from the total mass of the reactants, and converting this mass difference into energy using Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. A positive Q value indicates that energy is released during the reaction, while a negative value indicates that energy is absorbed.

2. How is the Q factor related to the stability of a nucleus?

The Q factor is closely related to the stability of a nucleus. A higher Q value indicates a more stable nucleus, as the excess energy released during the reaction contributes to the overall binding energy of the nucleus. In general, nuclei with higher binding energies are more stable and less likely to undergo nuclear reactions.

3. Can the Q factor be used to predict the outcome of a nuclear reaction?

Yes, the Q factor can be used to predict the outcome of a nuclear reaction. If the Q value is positive, it indicates that the reaction is exothermic and will likely occur spontaneously. On the other hand, a negative Q value suggests that the reaction is endothermic and will only occur if energy is supplied from an external source.

4. How does the Q factor differ for different types of nuclear reactions?

The Q factor can vary greatly for different types of nuclear reactions. For example, fusion reactions typically have a much higher Q value than fission reactions, indicating that they release more energy. Additionally, the Q factor can also depend on the specific nuclei involved in the reaction, as well as the energy and directionality of the particles involved.

5. Can the Q factor of a nuclear reaction be changed?

Yes, the Q factor of a nuclear reaction can be changed through various means. For example, altering the incoming particles' energies or changing the nuclei involved in the reaction can affect the Q value. Additionally, the Q factor can also change over time as the products of the reaction undergo further reactions and release or absorb more energy.