The rank of the Sum of two matrices

In summary, A+B has rank 2 if and only if the columns of A span the 0 vector in Rn, a line in Rn, or a plain in Rn respectively.
Dank2

Homework Statement

Let A,B be square matrices of order n. n>=2
lets A and B be matrices of Rank 1. What are the options of the Rank of A+B ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there are 3 possibilities, 2, 1 , 0. Just having trouble with coming up with a formula. i tried:
Rank(A+B) = dim(SP{Ac+Bc}) , (where Ac is the columns of A.)
I know also this equation
Rank of (A+B) = n - dim(P(A+B)) (where P denotes the solution space of (A+B)x = 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no formula. For all three cases there can easily be found an example. How did you show that it cannot be more than two?

let Ac denote the span of the columns of Matrix A.
A+B is contained in Ac+Bc
therefore, dim(A+B) is smaller or equal to dim(Ac+Bc)

but dim(Ac+Bc) = dim(Ac) + dim(Bc) - dim(Ac intersection Bc)

fresh_42 said:
There is no formula. For all three cases there can easily be found an example. How did you show that it cannot be more than two?
Fixed typing errors.

Dank2 said:
let Ac denote the span of the columns of Matrix A.
A+B is contained in Ac+Bc
therefore, dim(A+B) is smaller or equal to dim(Ac+Bc)

but dim(Ac+Bc) = dim(Ac) + dim(Bc) - dim(Ac intersection Bc)
Yes. But your A+B should both be (A+B)c and maybe a ≤ 1+1=2 at the end.
If you give examples for the three cases that is all you can do.

fresh_42 said:
(A+B)c
i wanted to use Ac + Bc, because then, i can use the fact that Ac is a vector space, and usehe sum of the dimensions formula of vector spaces, which is dim(A+B)= dim(A)+dim(B) - dim(AintersectB)

I was thinking if i could show it with nxn general matrices, but i can't think about a way,

Dank2 said:
I was thinking if i could show it with nxn general matrices, but i can't think about a way,
Two by two are enough. But you can attach zeros as many as you want or other linear dependencies. But why? A minimal example will be fine.

fresh_42 said:
Two by two are enough. But you can attach zeros as many as you want or other linear dependencies. But why? A minimal example will be fine.
I have been told a numerated example is not enough.I need to show it the possibilities in general. I've shown how the Rank of A + B is less or equal to 2. not sure if that's the correct way.

Dank2 said:
I have been told a numerated example is not enough.I need to show it the possibilities in general. I've shown how the Rank of A + B is less or equal to 2. not sure if that's the correct way.
Beside what I've said in post #5 about A+B (which should be (A+B)c) and the unusual notation for a linear span by c it is ok.
What does it mean for a (n,n)-matrix to have rank 0,1 or 2?

Likes Dank2
fresh_42 said:
What does it mean for a (n,n)-matrix to have rank 0,1 or 2?
not sure if i got the question right.
Rank = number of linearly independent vectors in columns or A or the the rows of A.

or that the columns of A span the 0 vector in Rn, a line in Rn or a plain in Rn respectively.

Let's say rows. (Columns would work as well.)
So rank 0 means no linear independent row. That leaves only one possible vector.
Rank 1 thus means exactly one linear independent row. Let us take any fixed row vector as first. What does it mean for all others?
And at last two linear independent rows, but only two. All others must be in their span.
If you've found 3 matrices C with these properties, then you will have found C = A+B. All it needs then is to find summands A, B which add up to your C.

Likes Dank2

1. What is the definition of the rank of the sum of two matrices?

The rank of the sum of two matrices is the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the resulting matrix when the two matrices are added together.

2. How is the rank of the sum of two matrices calculated?

The rank of the sum of two matrices is calculated by adding the two matrices together and then finding the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the resulting matrix.

3. Can the rank of the sum of two matrices be higher than the rank of the individual matrices?

Yes, it is possible for the rank of the sum of two matrices to be higher than the rank of the individual matrices. This can occur if the two matrices have complementary row or column spaces, meaning their rows or columns are not linearly independent on their own, but become linearly independent when combined.

4. How does the rank of the sum of two matrices relate to the ranks of the individual matrices?

The rank of the sum of two matrices can be equal to, lower than, or higher than the ranks of the individual matrices. It all depends on the specific matrices and their linear independence. However, the rank of the sum can never be lower than the difference between the ranks of the individual matrices.

5. Why is the rank of the sum of two matrices important in linear algebra?

The rank of the sum of two matrices is important in linear algebra because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of linear transformations. It also plays a role in solving systems of linear equations and determining if a matrix is invertible.