The Science Behind Salt and Wounds: Osmosis?

In summary, the reason why salt in a wound causes pain is due to a combination of factors. The dissociation of NaCl into ions can cause an electrical imbalance in nerve cells, triggering pain signals. Additionally, the presence of excess Na+ ions can also upset the osmotic pressure in cells, leading to further discomfort. This reaction is not limited to humans, as even single-celled organisms have evolved sodium channels to protect themselves from these effects.
Link
Why does the wound hurt more if you pour salt (NaCl) on it? Does it have something to do with osmosis?

Biology news on Phys.org
Guess - the NaCl would dissociate and the ions would cause the pain.

Unless of course you were a slug and then you hypertonic solution would suck all of the fluid out of your body and you would die.

Nautica

but how? does Na+ or cl- ions react with nerves better than other substances or what

Too much of Na+ is not good. It will cause a hypertonic solution which will damgage the cell.

But Like I said I am not sure if this is what causes the pain, it was just a guess.

Nautica

I kinda agree with the slug idea - the reason you don't die if you touch salt, is that you are bigger than a slug, and you have an impermeable layer - the skin. With a wound, you lose the layer, and so in bodily fluids can make water leave your cells by osmosis. The damage would probably register as pain.

The Na+ and Cl-, if it somehow is absorbed into a nerve cell at different rates, would cause electrical imbalances which could push it over the threashold and cause them to fire - hence pain.

Half guessing.. half braining.

I'm going to agree with Jikx.

K+ and Na+ ions are both involved in nerve impulses. To begin a nerve impulse, the stimuli triggers a release of Na+ ions into the axon, which causes a chain reaction of Na+ being pumped in all through the nerve. Pain is a construct of our brains to interpret some nerve impulses. I'm guessing that this particular nerve impulse is the same as pain.

Though, like Jikx, I'm pretty much making an educated guess.

Wow! Is there a competition to see who can resurrect the oldest thread? ;-)

If you put salt on a necropost, will it hurt?

Yes. Mentors.

turbo-1 said:
Wow! Is there a competition to see who can resurrect the oldest thread? ;-)

I cannot see dates on PF mobile.
Anyways it's not that hard considering you always have the link to the last page on the thread list.

Last edited:
I just happened to Google: "Why does salt in a wound cause pain" or something to that extent.

I agree with Jikx, but there may be more to it than a nerve firing, as sodium would indeed upset the osmotic pressure in cells, which they wouldn't like one bit. I think this may be why even choanoflagellates seem to have sodium channels (or at least the genes for them), even though said single cell animals obviously don'y have their own neurons!:
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-sodium-channels-evolved-animals-nervous.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the role of osmosis in the healing process of wounds?

Osmosis is the movement of water molecules across a semi-permeable membrane from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. In the case of wounds, osmosis helps to draw fluid, such as blood or serum, to the site of the wound. This fluid contains important healing factors, such as growth factors and immune cells, that aid in the healing process.

2. How does salt impact osmosis in wound healing?

Salt, or sodium chloride, is a key component in the process of osmosis. When salt is applied to a wound, it creates a hypertonic environment, meaning that the concentration of salt is higher outside the cells than inside. This causes water molecules to move out of the cells and towards the salt, helping to draw out excess fluid and bacteria from the wound, promoting healing.

3. Is there a recommended concentration of salt for wound healing?

Yes, the recommended concentration of salt for wound healing is 0.9%, which is the same concentration as the salt in our bodies. This is known as a physiological saline solution and is similar to the concentration of fluids in our cells. Using a higher concentration of salt can actually have a negative effect on wound healing by causing excessive dehydration of the cells.

4. Can too much salt delay the healing process of wounds?

Yes, using too much salt or a concentration higher than 0.9% can have a negative impact on wound healing. This is because it can cause excessive dehydration of the cells, leading to decreased cell growth and delayed healing. It can also cause irritation and damage to the surrounding healthy tissue, prolonging the healing process.

5. Are there any risks associated with using salt for wound healing?

While using salt for wound healing can be beneficial, there are some potential risks to be aware of. As mentioned earlier, using a concentration higher than 0.9% can cause damage to the surrounding healthy tissue. It can also be painful for patients with open wounds. Additionally, too much salt can disrupt the balance of bacteria on the skin, potentially leading to infections. It is important to consult a healthcare professional before using salt for wound healing and to closely monitor the healing process.