The simplest derivation of position operator for momentum space

In summary, in order to derive the position operator for momentum space, one must start with the wave function in momentum space, not in position space. This can be done by using the relationship between the two wave functions, which involves a minus sign in the exponent when taking the inverse transform. This results in the position operator being represented as +i times the derivative with respect to momentum, while the momentum operator is represented as -i times the derivative with respect to position.
cryptist
Might be simple but I couldn't see. We can easily derive momentum operator for position space by differentiating the plane wave solution. Analogously I want to derive the position operator for momentum space, however I am getting additional minus sign.

By replacing $$k=\frac{p}{\hbar}$$ and $$w=\frac{E}{\hbar}$$ into the plane wave solution, we get
$$\Psi=e^{ipx/\hbar-iEt/\hbar}$$
Then taking the derivative with respect to momentum,
$$\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial p}=\frac{ix}{\hbar}\Psi$$
Then I get,
$$\hat{x}=-i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial p}$$

It has additional minus sign. Where is my mistake and/or how do I derive the position operator for momentum space in the simplest way?

Likes hamad12a
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you need to think what is the relationship between a function in position-space and in momentum space. This is actually clearest if you use Dirac bra-ket notation, but if you haven't learned that, we can do without.

If you have a wave function [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] in position space, the corresponding function in momentum space is [itex]\tilde{\psi}(p)[/itex]. The two are related as follows:

[itex]\psi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int e^{i p x} \tilde{\psi}(p) dp[/itex]
[itex]\tilde{\psi}(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\int e^{-i p x} \psi(x) dx[/itex]

(I'm leaving out the h-bars for simplicity; I hope you can figure out where they should go. I think every [itex]p[/itex] should be [itex]p/\hbar[/itex])

So notice that the inverse transform has a minus sign in the exponent. That makes it so that [itex]\hat{x} = +i \frac{d}{dp}[/itex] while [itex]\hat{p} = -i \frac{d}{dx}[/itex]

[edit: changed the conventions to make forward and reverse transforms more symmetric]

Last edited:
Likes cryptist
stevendaryl said:
If you have a wave function [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] in position space, the corresponding function in momentum space is [itex]\tilde{\psi}(p)[/itex]. The two are related as follows:

[itex]\psi(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int e^{i p x} \tilde{\psi}(p) dp[/itex]
[itex]\tilde{\psi}(p) = \int e^{-i p x} \psi(x) dx[/itex]

You can directly verify using these equations that:
[itex]-i \frac{d}{dx} \psi(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int p e^{i p x} \tilde{\psi}(p) dp[/itex]
[itex]+i \frac{d}{dp} \tilde{\psi}(p) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int x e^{- i p x} \psi(x) dx[/itex]

The quantum mechanical convention is to put a sqrt(2pi) for each part of a Fourier transform, the conventionally direct one from coordinate space to momentum one and the reverse one which is from momentum space to coordinate space.

Likes bhobba
dextercioby said:
The quantum mechanical convention is to put a sqrt(2pi) for each part of a Fourier transform, the conventionally direct one from coordinate space to momentum one and the reverse one which is from momentum space to coordinate space.

I seem to remember that. I changed it.

dextercioby said:

No one else uses this convention except physicists. That's because physicists love non-rigourous lazy ways of thinking, and are always trying to make their lives easy. :D By having the sqrt(2pi), it's the same forwards and back, and one doesn't have to remember where to put the 2pi.

stevendaryl said:
Well, you need to think what is the relationship between a function in position-space and in momentum space. This is actually clearest if you use Dirac bra-ket notation, but if you haven't learned that, we can do without.

[itex]\psi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int e^{i p x} \tilde{\psi}(p) dp[/itex]
[itex]\tilde{\psi}(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\int e^{-i p x} \psi(x) dx[/itex]

(I'm leaving out the h-bars for simplicity; I hope you can figure out where they should go. I think every [itex]p[/itex] should be [itex]p/\hbar[/itex])

So notice that the inverse transform has a minus sign in the exponent. That makes it so that [itex]\hat{x} = +i \frac{d}{dp}[/itex] while [itex]\hat{p} = -i \frac{d}{dx}[/itex]

[edit: changed the conventions to make forward and reverse transforms more symmetric]

Thank you for the answer. So, in order to derive position opeator for momentum space, I have to start with the wavefunction in momentum space. Not in position space. That was my mistake as far as I understand.

Related to The simplest derivation of position operator for momentum space

1. What is the position operator for momentum space?

The position operator for momentum space is a mathematical operator that represents the position of a particle in momentum space. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the position of a particle in terms of its momentum.

2. How is the position operator derived for momentum space?

The position operator for momentum space can be derived using the Fourier transform of the position operator in position space. This involves transforming the position wave function to momentum space and then applying the inverse Fourier transform to obtain the position operator for momentum space.

3. What is the significance of the position operator for momentum space?

The position operator for momentum space is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics as it allows for the description of the position of a particle in terms of its momentum. It is an important tool in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. Can the position operator for momentum space be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, the position operator for momentum space can be applied to all types of particles, including elementary particles and composite particles. It is a universal concept in quantum mechanics.

5. How does the position operator for momentum space relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The position operator for momentum space is directly related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The uncertainty in the position of a particle in momentum space is inversely proportional to the uncertainty in its momentum, as described by the principle. This means that the more precisely the position of a particle in momentum space is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.