The Space Between Atoms -- Teaching Middle School

In summary, experts think that there is more space between atoms than the space the atoms take up themselves. Middle schoolers may not understand this concept, and may think that there is no space between particles at all.
Nice video AT thanks for that
leeone said:
I like packing of spheres. Maybe I could have them put marbles in a small beaker and have them answer questions about how this is a proper model and how it isn't?

But then again,the empty space would be filled with air :/ ...with their model.

no, it wouldn't ... you have to get them to get their thoughts down to the atomic size that the marbles are representing
the atoms of air in the gaps they "see" between the marbles ISNT on the same scale as the atoms represented by the marbles
There is NO room for other atoms of air or any other element to fit in the gaps... if there was, the "marble atoms" would already be filling the gapsDave

Astronomy news on Phys.org
gmax137 said:
Just wondering, how do you know this is "what the kids think"? I'm not sure I ever thought that.

I gave the students a pre-test. I also interviewed students one on one. From the highest achieving to the lowest achieving students, they believed that air was between the molecules.

Also...

Students of all ages have trouble understanding that matter is made of discrete particles that are in constant motion and have empty spaces between them. (Novick and Nussbaum, 1978)

Students are deeply connected to a theory of continuous matter. (Nussbaum, 1985)

These are only a few misconceptions students have. Just Google student misconceptions States of Matter and you will find plenty of research done on this topic.
davenn said:
no, it wouldn't ... you have to get them to get their thoughts down to the atomic size that the marbles are representing
the atoms of air in the gaps they "see" between the marbles ISNT on the same scale as the atoms represented by the marbles

Also...I understand this. What people not in education don't understand is that you teach kids one thing, yet they construct their own knowledge based on how you present the material and based on the child's previous experiences. What I was saying is that students will think back to that demo and think to themselves "well air was between the particles in that model...why isn't between them in the real thing?" I was just thinking about what the students would be thinking about. One last thing guys. my lesson plan was a huge success! My evaluator said I was a teaching master, and the evaluation she gave me was extraordinary! She told me to be prepared to be under appreciated by administration for the rest of my life hahahha.

by the end I was asking the class.. "What's between the particles in this table?" and they would all shout out "Absolutely completely empty space!"

It was awesome.

Here was one students poem.

Between the particles of this world lies space empty as a heart
The breath of a dying soul,
the ripples of the pond.
The grasping hands of a new born child,
are empty, filled with nothing.

So many other good ones!

Also...kids who like english, but hate science, may actually enjoy science the one day they get to write a poem!
You have to think of these things as an educator also. It also was a great formative assessment. It allowed me to see if they really took away the concept...and this student obviously did.

Great. Congratulations on your lesson.
Also, you may have managed to spread a little learning amongst non-teaching members of PF, too. Adults just don't seem to remember what it was like as a child. You'd think they'd been born with all the knowledge they have.