The strong force and the weak force

In summary, the weak force is responsible for beta decay and plays a role in the size of the nucleus. It is not as weak as it seems, but appears so due to the mass of the intermediate particle involved in its processes.
g.lemaitre
I'm still highly confused about the weak force. Every time I read about it I get something along the lines of it is responsible for beta decay which to my understanding is when a proton or a neutron exits from the atom's nucleus. One thing I have trouble understanding is that if the strong force is pulling protons and neutrons together what stops them from being totally next to each other unable to move closer together due to the Pauli Exclusion Principle? Is it because the strong force pulls protons and neutrons together, while the weak force pulls them apart, creating an equilibrium? I sort of doubt that given that the strong force is 40 orders of magnitude stronger than gravity and the weak force is only 25 order of magnitude stronger than gravity. So getting back to the weak force, what would happen if it did not exist? It doesn't seem to be that important. I'm pretty sure the Sun's energy is caused by the weak force but I'm not exactly sure how. I've also heard that magma bursting up through the Earth's fault lines has something to do with the weak force.

Physics news on Phys.org
georges, The strong force, in terms of its effect on protons and neutrons, is attractive at larger distances and repulsive at shorter distances. The net result is that nucleons prefer to stay a fixed distance apart, about one fermi. Because of this, the size of the nucleus gets larger as the number of nucleons is increased. The weak force plays no part.

The weak force is responsible for beta decay, in which a neutron turns into a proton, emitting an electron, a neutrino and an antineutrino. The opposite can also happen, in which a proton turns into a neutron.

Of course on a more fundamental level, this can all be expressed in terms of quarks.

The weak force is actually not all that weak, it only appears weak because the intermediate particle that must be created and absorbed during a weak process, the W boson, has a rather large mass.

1. What is the difference between the strong force and the weak force?

The strong force is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together, while the weak force is responsible for radioactive decay and interactions between particles.

2. How do the strong force and the weak force relate to each other?

The strong force and the weak force are two of the four fundamental forces in the universe. They work together to maintain stability and balance in the subatomic world.

3. Can the strong force and the weak force be observed?

The strong force and the weak force cannot be directly observed, but their effects can be seen through experiments and observations of subatomic particles.

4. How are the strong force and the weak force related to nuclear energy?

The strong force is responsible for binding protons and neutrons together in the nucleus, which is the basis of nuclear energy. The weak force plays a role in nuclear reactions and the release of energy in nuclear power plants.

5. Are the strong force and the weak force related to gravity?

No, the strong force and the weak force do not directly interact with gravity. Gravity is a separate fundamental force that acts on a larger scale, while the strong force and the weak force operate on a much smaller scale within the atom.