The Sun sets.... so why does it feel hotter overnight?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential reasons for why a person may feel less cool and comfortable in the evenings despite the air being technically cooler. Some theories include the amount of moisture in the air staying the same, body temperature increasing throughout the day, and the perception of cooling being more significant than actual differences in the air. Suggestions for improving comfort include using a low speed fan and considering the insulation and convection cooling effects of being in contact with a mattress.
hmmm27
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
When I was a kid, nobody had air-conditioning. At the end of a hot, muggy day we'd find it impossible to sleep, drenched in sweat...
I've always wondered why.
Would the reason be that the air cools but the amount of moisture stays the same... which makes sweating less effective... which means no cooling effect even though the air is technically cooler.

Biology news on Phys.org
It might have something to do with your body temperature increasing over the course of the day. I always have to bump down my AC from 78 to 74 (or less) to stay comfortable in the evenings before I go to bed. But that's pure speculation on my end.

In any case, I'd be willing to bet it's more perception than an actual difference in the air.

hmmm27 said:
Would the reason be that the air cools but the amount of moisture stays the same...
According to wiki:
"Although humidity is an important factor for thermal comfort, humans are more sensitive to variations in temperature than they are to changes in relative humidity."

Likes hmmm27
Just to point out the obvious, a substantial portion of your body is well insulated when in contact with the mattress.

Also convection cooling is inhibited by being so close to the mattress. A low speed fan in the bedroon can help immensly.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Keith_McClary, hmmm27, Astronuc and 1 other person

1. Why does the temperature feel hotter at night after the sun sets?

The temperature feels hotter at night after the sun sets because the Earth's surface has been absorbing heat from the sun throughout the day. This heat is then radiated back into the atmosphere at night, causing the temperature to feel warmer.

2. Is the temperature actually increasing at night after the sun sets?

No, the temperature is not actually increasing at night after the sun sets. It may feel hotter because the heat absorbed by the Earth's surface is being released into the atmosphere, but the overall temperature is not increasing.

3. Why does the temperature drop after the sun sets?

The temperature drops after the sun sets because there is no longer direct sunlight heating up the Earth's surface. Without the sun's rays, the Earth's surface cools down and releases heat into the atmosphere, causing the temperature to drop.

4. Does the humidity affect the temperature at night after the sun sets?

Yes, humidity can affect the temperature at night after the sun sets. Higher humidity levels can make the temperature feel warmer because water vapor in the air can trap heat and make it feel more humid. On the other hand, lower humidity levels can make the temperature feel cooler because there is less water vapor in the air to trap heat.

5. Why does it feel cooler at night in some places compared to others after the sun sets?

The temperature can feel cooler at night in some places compared to others after the sun sets due to various factors such as elevation, proximity to large bodies of water, and the amount of cloud cover. These factors can affect how much heat is absorbed and released into the atmosphere, resulting in different temperatures in different locations.