The vector sum of the electric forces exerted on a particle

In summary: I guess we all make mistakes like that from time to time. In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the vector sum of the electric forces exerted on particle 3 located on the positive y-axis, given that particle 1 is at x = -30 mm with a charge of +3.0 nC and particle 2 is at x = 30 mm with a charge of -3.0 nC. The equation for finding the magnitude of the force is F = k(Q1Q2/r^2), and the distance between the particles is found to be 90 mm. Using the values given, the horizontal and vertical components of the forces are calculated to be <4.743*10^{-6},
msw1
Homework Statement
Two particles are located on the x axis of a Cartesian coordinate system. Particle 1 carries a charge of +3.0 nC and is at x = -30 mm and particle 2 carries a charge of -3.0 nC and is at x = 30 mm . Particle 3, which carries a charge of +5.0 μC , is located on the positive y axis 90 mm from the origin. What is the magnitude of the vector sum of the electric forces exerted on particle 3?
Relevant Equations
F = k(Q1Q2/r^2)
c = sqrt(a^2+b^2)
[tex]r_{13}=r_{23}=\sqrt{(30*10^{-3})^2+(90*10^{-3})^2}=\sqrt{9*10^{-3}}\\
F^E_{13}=F^E_{23}=9E9\cdot\frac{5*10^{-9}\cdot3*10^{-9}}{9*10^{-3}}=1.5*10^{-5}\\
\theta=tan^{-1}(\frac{90*10^{-3}}{30*10^{-3}})=71.565\,degrees\\
\vec{F}^E_{13}=<F^E_{13}cos\theta, F^E_{13}sin\theta> = <4.743*10^{-6}, 1.423*10^{-5}>\\
\vec{F}^E_{23}=<F^E_{23}cos(-\theta), F^E_{23}sin(-\theta)> = <4.743*10^{-6}, -1.423*10^{-5}>\\
[/tex]
Because particle 3 is positively charged, particle 1 is positively charged, and particle 2 is negatively charged, and the magnitude of the force by 1 on 3 is the same as magnitude of the force by 2 on 3, the vertical components of the force should cancel out, while the horizontal components should be additive, so my final answer was
[tex]F=2*(4.743*10^{-6})=9.487*10^{-6}[/tex]
But this is incorrect. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
msw1 said:
Homework Statement:: Two particles are located on the x-axis of a Cartesian coordinate system. Particle 1 carries a charge of +3.0 nC and is at x = -30 mm and particle 2 carries a charge of -3.0 nC and is at x = 30 mm . Particle 3, which carries a charge of +5.0 μC , is located on the positive y-axis 90 mm from the origin. What is the magnitude of the vector sum of the electric forces exerted on particle 3?
Relevant Equations:: F = k(Q1Q2/r^2)
c = sqrt(a^2+b^2)

[tex]r_{13}=r_{23}=\sqrt{(30*10^{-3})^2+(90*10^{-3})^2}=\sqrt{9*10^{-3}}\\
F^E_{13}=F^E_{23}=9E9\cdot\frac{5*10^{-9}\cdot3*10^{-9}}{9*10^{-3}}=1.5*10^{-5}\\
\theta=tan^{-1}(\frac{90*10^{-3}}{30*10^{-3}})=71.565\,degrees\\
\vec{F}^E_{13}=<F^E_{13}cos\theta, F^E_{13}sin\theta> = <4.743*10^{-6}, 1.423*10^{-5}>\\
\vec{F}^E_{23}=<F^E_{23}cos(-\theta), F^E_{23}sin(-\theta)> = <4.743*10^{-6}, -1.423*10^{-5}>\\
[/tex]
Because particle 3 is positively charged, particle 1 is positively charged, and particle 2 is negatively charged, and the magnitude of the force by 1 on 3 is the same as magnitude of the force by 2 on 3, the vertical components of the force should cancel out, while the horizontal components should be additive, so my final answer was
[tex]F=2*(4.743*10^{-6})=9.487*10^{-6}[/tex]
But this is incorrect. Any help would be appreciated.
I get the same as you do. Do you know what the answer is claimed to be?

But it is much better to keep everything algebraic and avoid plugging in numbers until the final step. Many advantages, one of which is a better strike rate on getting help on this forum!

You can avoid finding the angle. You had to find the distance anyway, so the cos and sin values can be had by simple division.

haruspex said:
I get the same as you do. Do you know what the answer is claimed to be?

But it is much better to keep everything algebraic and avoid plugging in numbers until the final step. Many advantages, one of which is a better strike rate on getting help on this forum!

You can avoid finding the angle. You had to find the distance anyway, so the cos and sin values can be had by simple division.
Thanks for the feedback! I found my mistake. It was very subtle. The charge of particle 3 is given in microcoulombs, not nanocoulombs. Very annoying!

msw1 said:
Thanks for the feedback! I found my mistake. It was very subtle. The charge of particle 3 is given in microcoulombs, not nanocoulombs. Very annoying!
Well spotted.

1. What is the vector sum of electric forces?

The vector sum of electric forces is the total force exerted on a particle due to multiple electric fields acting on it. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of each individual force.

2. How is the vector sum of electric forces calculated?

The vector sum of electric forces is calculated by adding together all the individual electric forces acting on a particle using vector addition. This involves considering the direction and magnitude of each force, as well as any angles between them.

3. What factors affect the vector sum of electric forces?

The vector sum of electric forces is affected by the magnitude and direction of each individual force, as well as the distance between the particle and the source of the electric field. It is also influenced by any charges present on nearby objects that may create additional electric fields.

4. How does the vector sum of electric forces impact the motion of a particle?

The vector sum of electric forces determines the net force acting on a particle, which in turn affects its motion according to Newton's laws of motion. If the net force is non-zero, the particle will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. Can the vector sum of electric forces be negative?

Yes, the vector sum of electric forces can be negative if the individual forces acting on a particle are in opposite directions. In this case, the net force will be in the direction of the larger force, but with a magnitude equal to the difference between the two forces.