The volume of the solid generated by the revolution

In summary, the volume of the solid generated by the revolution of the curve $y^2 (2 a - x) = x^3$ about its asymptote using the shell method is $2\pi^2a^3$. This method is more practical than the disk method since it avoids solving for $x$ and does not require determining the convergence of an improper integral.
ksananthu
find the volume of the solid generated by the revolution of the curve
$y^2 (2 a - x) = x^3$ about its asymptote.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: the volume of the solid generated by the revolution

Have you identified the axis of revolution, i.e., the asymptote, and have you observed which method of computing the solid is the most practical and why?

i think shell method is best

ksananthu said:
i think shell method is best

So do I...can you explain why?

Since more than 24 hours has gone by since the last response by the OP, I am going to post the solution while it is still on my mind.

First, I plotted the implicit curve, letting $a=1$:

View attachment 1023

Now, it is fairly easy to see that the domain of the implicit function is $[0,2a)$, if we write it in the form:

\(\displaystyle y^2=\frac{x^3}{2a-x}\ge0\)

We also see that the axis of rotation, i.e., the asymptote is the line $x=2a$.

We should observe that the shell method is more practical since we can solve for $y$ but not for $x$, at least not easily. Also, the disk method would generate an improper integral, so we would need to determine if it converges. So, let's proceed with the shell method. The volume of an arbitrary shell is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx\)

where:

\(\displaystyle r=2a-x\)

\(\displaystyle h=2\sqrt{\frac{x^3}{2a-x}}\)

Since $x$ is non-negative in the domain, we may write:

\(\displaystyle h=2x\sqrt{\frac{x}{2a-x}}\)

and so we find:

\(\displaystyle dV=4\pi(2a-x)x\sqrt{\frac{x}{2a-x}}\,dx=4\pi x\sqrt{x(2a-x)}\,dx\)

Thus, summation of the shells gives us the volume:

\(\displaystyle V=4\pi\int_0^{2a} x\sqrt{x(2a-x)}\,dx\)

Completing the square under the radical, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle V=4\pi\int_0^{2a} x\sqrt{a^2-(x-a)^2}\,dx\)

Now, if we let:

\(\displaystyle x-a=a\sin(\theta)\,\therefore\,dx=a\cos(\theta)\)

we obtain:

\(\displaystyle V=4\pi a^3\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} (1+\sin(\theta))\cos^2(\theta)\,d\theta= 4\pi a^3\left(\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^2(\theta)\,d \theta+ \int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^2(\theta)\sin(\theta)\,d\theta \right)\)

For the first integral, using a double-angle identity for cosine, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^2(\theta)\,d\theta= \frac{1}{2}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}1+ \cos(2\theta)\,d\theta= \frac{1}{2}\left([\theta]_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}+ \frac{1}{2}[\sin(2\theta)]_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \right)= \frac{\pi}{2}\)

For the second integral, using the odd function rule, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^2(\theta)\sin(\theta)\,d\theta=0\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle V=4\pi a^3\left(\frac{\pi}{2} \right)=2\pi^2a^3\)

Attachments

• solidrev1.jpg
    solidrev1.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 49
Thank you.
i tried same way and I got the answer !

What is "The volume of the solid generated by the revolution"?

The volume of the solid generated by the revolution is a mathematical concept that involves rotating a shape around an axis to create a three-dimensional object. This is often used in calculus and geometry to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects.

How is the volume of the solid generated by the revolution calculated?

The volume of the solid generated by the revolution can be calculated using the method of cylindrical shells or the method of disks. The method of cylindrical shells involves slicing the shape into thin cylindrical shells and adding up their volumes, while the method of disks involves slicing the shape into thin disks and adding up their volumes.

What are the key factors that affect the volume of the solid generated by the revolution?

The key factors that affect the volume of the solid generated by the revolution are the shape of the object and the axis of revolution. The shape of the object determines the method of calculation, while the axis of revolution determines the limits of integration.

Can the volume of the solid generated by the revolution be negative?

No, the volume of the solid generated by the revolution cannot be negative. This is because volume is a measure of the amount of space occupied by an object, and it cannot have a negative value. If the calculated volume is negative, it means there was an error in the calculation or the parameters used were incorrect.

How is the volume of the solid generated by the revolution used in real-life applications?

The volume of the solid generated by the revolution has many real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of objects in engineering, architecture, and manufacturing. It is also used in physics to determine the moment of inertia of objects and in biology to study the shapes and sizes of cells and organisms.