The way the circuit is drawn is super confusing to me

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem by repositioning resistors, but it was not completely correct.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

I have no idea how to start this problem the way the circuit is drawn is super confusing to me.

My original thought would be the two 6's are parallel but that is not true.

What method should I use?

I am more comfortable with voltage nodal/ mesh.

9u6kp3.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Two (or more) of the resistors are in parallel.

Last edited:
I manipulated it in pspice and found that the 6 and 3 are in parallel. Would it be incorrect to then do mesh method, but keeping requivilent?

There is an additional pair of resistors that are in parallel that can further simplify the circuit. Redraw the circuit differently to see it better. Mesh method is fine. Note that I1 becomes "hidden" as a result of the "further simplification", but is easily recoverable.

I think I got it. The 6 parallel with the 3 which gives a req=2 then the req is parallel with 3, after that it becomes simple.

I'm not sure you are stating it correctly. Please, if you can, attach a picture to be clear.

2f0dug4.png

This is what I mean first step I rewrote the circuit,

second step I simplified 6 and 3 which gave me req=2.

Then I simplified 2 and 3 which gave me requ=6/5

In your first step, when you repositioned the 6Ω from the top to the bottom you disconnected it and attached it to the bottom of the nonexistent current source (the line segment in parallel with the 3Ω).

Try drawing this in a "ladder" style--identify your nodes, placing the bottommost on the bottom, the topmost (pick the one that makes most sense) on the top, and middle node(s) in the middle.

2zf3ga0.png

Like this?

More like this (attached).

Attachments

• circuit1.jpg
    circuit1.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 202
Hmm by that picture it seems like it simplifies completely. Is that the case?

Same circuit, just unwound a bit. At maximum reduction I1 disappears. You are going to have to deal with that twist.

Related to The way the circuit is drawn is super confusing to me

1. Why is the circuit drawn in such a confusing way?

The way a circuit is drawn can be confusing for a variety of reasons. It could be due to the complexity of the circuit, the use of unconventional symbols or wiring techniques, or simply the lack of familiarity with circuit diagrams.

2. How can I understand the circuit drawing better?

Understanding circuit diagrams takes practice and knowledge of basic circuit components. You can start by studying the symbols used in the diagram and their corresponding functions. It may also be helpful to break down the circuit into smaller parts and understand each section before putting them together.

3. Can I redraw the circuit in a simpler way?

Yes, you can redraw the circuit in a way that makes more sense to you. However, it is important to ensure that the new drawing accurately represents the original circuit and does not introduce any errors. It may also be helpful to label each component and wire to make it easier to follow.

4. Are there any resources that can help me understand circuit diagrams?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you understand circuit diagrams, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and videos. You can also seek help from a teacher or a more experienced individual who can guide you through the process of understanding circuit diagrams.

5. Is it necessary to understand circuit diagrams for everyday life?

While understanding circuit diagrams may not be necessary for everyday life, it can be useful in certain situations, such as troubleshooting electrical issues at home or in the workplace. It can also help you understand how electronic devices work and how to make simple repairs if needed.