Theoretical number of plates for distillation column

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of cold feed and how to handle it in a binary distillation process. The equation for the q-line was mentioned, with a question arising about the definition of liquid feed below the feed tray, which was later clarified as being L + 1.15F. There was also some confusion about the minimum number of theoretical plates, which was resolved by taking the average of the number of plates counted from the bottom and from the top.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

upload_2015-3-5_23-45-21.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1425570150.518128.jpg

With my solution, I think cold feed means ##q = \infty##, which is seen from my xy diagram. I have some issue understanding the statement "for each mole of feed 0.15 mol of vapor is condensed at the feed plate". I assumed that to mean that after the top stream goes through the condenser, 0.15 moles are sent back to the column in the split with the distillate stream. However, it became clear that my mass balance is wrong, since there are more moles of methanol coming from the distillate than is being fed, which does not make sense. So I don't really know what I am supposed to do with this critical piece of information.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A vertical q line applies only to a saturated liquid feed. Your feed is a subcooled liquid. See that following link to see how to handle this situation:

http://www.che.utah.edu/~sutherland/3603Notes/BinaryDistillation.pdf

Chet

Sorry for my late response, been very busy.

So I know the equation
$$q = \frac {\bar {L} - L}{F}$$

Where ##\bar {L}## is the liquid feed below the feed tray, ##L## is the feed above the feed tray, and ##F## is the feed. Now I am thinking of what the liquid feed below the feed tray, ##\bar {L}##, should be in this instance. Well, I suppose it would be the liquid feed from the tray above, plus 0.15F. So ##\bar {L} = L + 0.15F##. Well, then I plug into the equation for the q-line,

$$q = \frac {L + 0.15F - L}{F} = 0.15 < 1$$

However, the PDF says that ##q > 1## for a cold liquid feed, therefore my definition of ##\bar {L}## is incorrect. What can I be missing?

EDIT: I see from my textbook that it would be L + qF, hence L + 1.15F. Well, I am having a little difficulty understanding it then. Wouldn't some of the feed vaporize when it enters the column? It seems to mean that all the feed goes to the stripping section, and it also condenses some vapor rising from the plate below in addition to the feed and liquid coming down from the bottom tray.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1426081722.834317.jpg

Apologies for the sideways image, but I am wondering geometrically how to get that fraction of a theoretical plate. The distance from plate 3 to ##x_{B}##, the bottoms mole fraction, is 0.1. The distance from ##x_{B}## to the equilibrium line is 0.08. I suppose if it was split even 0.05 and 0.05, it would be 2.5 plates plus a reboiler, but I am unsure what ratio I should properly use.

Side note, the q-line doesn't seem to have mattered for solving part (a)

Maylis said:
Sorry for my late response, been very busy.

So I know the equation
$$q = \frac {\bar {L} - L}{F}$$

Where ##\bar {L}## is the liquid feed below the feed tray, ##L## is the feed above the feed tray, and ##F## is the feed. Now I am thinking of what the liquid feed below the feed tray, ##\bar {L}##, should be in this instance. Well, I suppose it would be the liquid feed from the tray above, plus 0.15F. So ##\bar {L} = L + 0.15F##. Well, then I plug into the equation for the q-line,

$$q = \frac {L + 0.15F - L}{F} = 0.15 < 1$$

However, the PDF says that ##q > 1## for a cold liquid feed, therefore my definition of ##\bar {L}## is incorrect. What can I be missing?

EDIT: I see from my textbook that it would be L + qF, hence L + 1.15F. Well, I am having a little difficulty understanding it then. Wouldn't some of the feed vaporize when it enters the column? It seems to mean that all the feed goes to the stripping section, and it also condenses some vapor rising from the plate below in addition to the feed and liquid coming down from the bottom tray.
From the reference I recommended (which looks great), I get q = 1.15.

Chet

Maylis said:
View attachment 80188

Apologies for the sideways image, but I am wondering geometrically how to get that fraction of a theoretical plate. The distance from plate 3 to ##x_{B}##, the bottoms mole fraction, is 0.1. The distance from ##x_{B}## to the equilibrium line is 0.08. I suppose if it was split even 0.05 and 0.05, it would be 2.5 plates plus a reboiler, but I am unsure what ratio I should properly use.

Side note, the q-line doesn't seem to have mattered for solving part (a)
If you have a non-integer number of plates, you round up to the next largest integer.

To get the minimum number of plates, you are using total reflux, so no feed is being added. So, in this case, there is no q.

Chet

In the textbook, there are non-integer values for theoretical plates (for the real plates, that is when you round up). I know it sounds stupid, but we are supposed to report the answer as some fraction of a plate.

OK. Start at the bottom and step upward, then start at the top and step downward. Then take the average of the two numbers of plates. I'm sure the two numbers will come out very close to the same value. Anyhow, in the end, its a judgement call.

Chet

1. What is the theoretical number of plates for a distillation column?

The theoretical number of plates for a distillation column refers to the minimum number of theoretical stages required for the column to achieve the desired separation of components in a mixture. It is based on the equilibrium relationship between the vapor and liquid phases in the column.

2. How is the theoretical number of plates calculated?

The theoretical number of plates can be calculated using various methods, such as the Fenske equation, McCabe-Thiele method, and Ponchon-Savarit method. These methods take into account factors such as the composition of the feed, the boiling points of the components, and the desired separation efficiency.

3. What factors affect the theoretical number of plates?

The theoretical number of plates is affected by several factors, including the composition of the feed, the temperature and pressure of the column, the reflux ratio, and the type of distillation being performed (e.g. binary or multicomponent). It can also be influenced by the type of packing or trays used in the column.

4. Can the actual number of plates in a distillation column be different from the theoretical number of plates?

Yes, the actual number of plates in a distillation column can be different from the theoretical number. This is because the theoretical number is based on ideal conditions and assumes perfect equilibrium between the vapor and liquid phases. In reality, there may be non-idealities and inefficiencies in the column that can affect the separation and thus the actual number of plates required.

5. How does the theoretical number of plates impact the performance of a distillation column?

The theoretical number of plates is an important factor in determining the performance of a distillation column. It affects the efficiency of the separation and the purity of the products obtained. A higher theoretical number of plates generally results in better separation and higher purity, but it also increases the cost and complexity of the column.