Thermal energy transport via conduction

In summary, the glass is transparent because it has a chemical structure that allows for photons to pass through it with little distortion.
ellieee
Homework Statement
I don't understand what the question is asking. what I interpret it as is how does thermal energy pass through the layer of glass(air molecules inside), am I right? if I'm not, what is it?
Relevant Equations
-
CamScanner 05-11-2021 15.18_3.jpg

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The glass is transparent not because it has air molecules inside it but because such is its chemical structure that allows for photons to pass through it with small to no distortion. Other than that , yes, the question asks how the heat passes from the gas burner through the glass layer and into the water. The gas burner is in immediate contact with the glass and not with the water.

t
Delta2 said:
The glass is transparent not because it has air molecules inside it but because such is its chemical structure that allows for photons to pass through it with small to no distortion. Other than that , yes, the question asks how the heat passes from the gas burner through the glass layer and into the water. The gas burner is in immediate contact with the glass and not with the water.
the answer is D, why can't it be B? B is talking about convection current I suppose ?

yes we can say that it talks about convection. You can have convection currents in gases and liquids but not in solid substances like glass. The molecules from the outer layer of the glass (those in contact with the burner ) do not move to the inner layer (in contact with the water) they just vibrate afew angstroms around a mean position.

Delta2 said:
molecules from the outer layer of the glass (those in contact with the burner )
u mean the surrounding air?
then B is talking about how thermal energy is transferred throughout the whole liquid, which is another idea right?

No I mean the outer layer of the glass, the surface of the glass that is in contact with the burner.

B is talking something like we have convection inside the glass, which is not true. But yes the thermal energy throughout the water is transferred through convection.

What is thermal energy transport via conduction?

Thermal energy transport via conduction is the transfer of heat energy between two objects that are in direct contact with each other. This transfer occurs when there is a temperature difference between the two objects, and the heat energy flows from the object with higher temperature to the object with lower temperature.

How does conduction differ from convection and radiation?

Conduction differs from convection and radiation in the way that heat energy is transferred. In conduction, heat is transferred through direct contact between two objects, while in convection, heat is transferred through the movement of fluids. Radiation, on the other hand, is the transfer of heat energy through electromagnetic waves.

What are some examples of thermal energy transport via conduction?

Some examples of thermal energy transport via conduction include touching a hot pan and feeling the heat, using a metal spoon to stir a hot soup, and placing a cold object on a warm surface and feeling it warm up.

How does the rate of conduction depend on the properties of the materials involved?

The rate of conduction depends on the thermal conductivity of the materials involved. Materials with higher thermal conductivity, such as metals, transfer heat more easily than materials with lower thermal conductivity, such as wood or plastic.

What factors affect the rate of thermal energy transport via conduction?

The rate of thermal energy transport via conduction is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two objects, the surface area of contact between the objects, and the distance between the objects. The type of material and its thermal conductivity also play a significant role in determining the rate of conduction.