Thermo cycles with only T and mol

In summary, the problem involves a three-step cycle of an ideal diatomic gas with 3.8 mol undergoing temperature changes and isothermal expansion and contraction. The molecules rotate but do not oscillate. The efficiency of the cycle can be found by calculating the total work and heat flow, with the initial and final pressure or volume values not explicitly given but can be assumed as unknowns.
bmartz

Homework Statement

A three-step cycle is undergone by 3.8 mol of an ideal diatomic gas:
(1) the temperature of the gas is increased from 210 K to 550 K at constant volume;
(2) the gas is then isothermally expanded to its original pressure;
(3) the gas is then contracted at constant pressure back to its original volume.
Throughout the cycle, the molecules rotate but do not oscillate. What is the efficiency of the cycle?

Homework Equations

Q=nCvΔT
Q=nCpΔT
Cv=5/2 R
Cp=7/2 R
W = nRTln(V2/V1)
ε=Wnet/QH

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to find the total work and heat flow in. For step one it is easy enough, W=0 and Q=nCvΔT.
I'm stuck at step 2. I know that since it is isothermal ΔEint is 0, so Q=W. I am trying to calculate by:
W = nRTln(V2/V1)
But without any initial or final pressure or volume values I am lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the problem as stated gives all the required information. Can you just let either the initial pressure or volume equal to an unknown with the hope that it will cancel out in the end? Just a thought.

1. What is the relationship between temperature and thermo cycles?

The temperature of a system can affect the direction and efficiency of a thermo cycle. As temperature increases, the efficiency of the cycle also increases, resulting in a higher output of work.

2. How does the number of moles affect thermo cycles?

The number of moles present in a system can impact the amount of heat transferred and the work output of a thermo cycle. A larger number of moles can result in a higher heat transfer and work output.

3. Can a thermo cycle with only T and mol be reversible?

Yes, a thermo cycle with only temperature and mole quantities can be reversible, as long as the process is carried out slowly enough to maintain thermal equilibrium with the surroundings.

4. How does the ideal gas law apply to thermo cycles with only T and mol?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, can be used to calculate the work and heat transfer in a thermo cycle with only temperature and mole quantities. The law relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas, which are all important factors in thermo cycles.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermo cycles with only T and mol?

Thermo cycles with only temperature and mole quantities are commonly used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, power plants, and chemical processes. They also play a role in understanding the thermodynamics of biological systems, such as metabolic processes in living organisms.