Thermochemistry significance of infinitely dilute solution

In summary, the significance of "infinitely dilute solution" is that it does not need calculations of ionic strength and activity coefficients.
Saitama
Thermochemistry significance of "infinitely dilute solution"

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start from and it seems to me that data given is insufficient to solve this problem. Also, what's the significance of "infinitely dilute solution"?

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• thermo.jpg
    thermo.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org

Infinitely diluted means all activities equal 1 (so no need for calculations of ionic strength and activity coefficients).

Can't say I understand the question.

Nor me. I'm inclined to say it should be zero for infinitely dilute solutions.

epenguin said:
Nor me. I'm inclined to say it should be zero for infinitely dilute solutions.

Is the question wrong then?

Is ΔFf0 defined in your text?

Usually ΔF0 's are defined for a process not a substance, but perhaps there is a convention I am out of date about.

epenguin said:

Usually ΔF0 's are defined for a process not a substance, but perhaps there is a convention I am out of date about.

ΔFf0? No, there is no such thing in my text.

epenguin said:

Can you tell me what does ΔFf0 mean? I will try to look it up somewhere.

I wonder if epenguin really means ΔFf0, or did he just misread the problem. F is sometimes used for Helmholtz free energy, but I think question lists ΔHf0 - enthalpies of formation.

Typo from not being able to see original on same screen as typing, I meant ΔHf0

epenguin said:
Typo from not being able to see original on same screen as typing, I meant ΔHf0

I know what ΔHf0 means but to solve this question, I think the data is insufficient or am I missing something?

Can I get some more help?

You have all the info I believe...Look at hess's law and at the net ionic equation. I have posted what I believe the answer to be...

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 438

Please don't give final answers, that's not how the forum works.

When you mix diluted solutions there will be no precipitate. So while you can be right guessing what the question author had on mind, it is not a correct answer to the question as worded.

Pranav-Arora said:
I know what ΔHf0 means but to solve this question, I think the data is insufficient or am I missing something?

Pranav-Arora said:
Can I get some more help?

I don't know what ΔHf0 quite means, I'd have to guess so I can't help. But these questions generally involve a cycle, were the Δ's add up to zero if you go round it, and there is one step you have to find the Δ of when given all the others.

1. What is the significance of infinitely dilute solution in thermochemistry?

The concept of infinitely dilute solution is important in thermochemistry because it allows us to measure the heat of mixing, or the energy released or absorbed when two substances are mixed together. This is used to determine the strength of intermolecular forces between molecules.

2. How is the heat of mixing related to infinitely dilute solutions?

The heat of mixing is directly related to the composition of the solution. In an infinitely dilute solution, the composition is essentially pure solvent, so the heat of mixing is solely determined by the interactions between the solvent and solute molecules.

3. Why is it important to consider infinitely dilute solutions in thermochemistry experiments?

Infinitely dilute solutions allow us to isolate and study the interactions between specific molecules, without the interference of other molecules. This is critical in understanding the fundamental principles of thermodynamics and intermolecular forces.

4. How do we create infinitely dilute solutions in the laboratory?

Infinitely dilute solutions are created by adding a very small amount of solute to a large amount of solvent. This ensures that the concentration of the solute is extremely low, and that the interactions between the molecules are not affected by the presence of other solute molecules.

5. Can infinitely dilute solutions be applied to real-world situations?

While infinitely dilute solutions may not occur naturally, they are useful in understanding the behavior and properties of more concentrated solutions. This knowledge can be applied to various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, where understanding the interactions between molecules is crucial for drug development and effectiveness.