Thermodynamic identity (math) question: one component system

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the equality of mixed partials in thermodynamics and whether it is valid to apply it when differentiating with respect to a dependent variable while holding a non-independent variable constant. The conversation concludes that the equality is not generally true and provides a counterexample to disprove it.
Hiero
Homework Statement
Consider a one component system with the only generalized force being pressure
Relevant Equations
Gibbs-Duhem relation

##SdT-Vdp+nd\mu = 0##

##v = V/n## (volume per mole)
I was just wondering what is wrong with the following logic;

From the Gibbs-Duhem relation we get,

##\frac{\partial \mu}{\partial P}\Big\rvert_T = v##

Now consider,

##\frac{\partial v}{\partial \mu}\Big\rvert_T = \frac{\partial }{\partial \mu}\Big (\frac{\partial \mu}{\partial P}\Big\rvert_T \Big )\Big\rvert_T= \frac{\partial }{\partial P}\Big (\frac{\partial \mu}{\partial \mu}\Big\rvert_T \Big )\Big\rvert_T= \frac{\partial }{\partial P}(1)\Big\rvert_T=0##

I’m pretty sure the result is not true, that it is not generally zero, so which step is flawed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hiero said:
## \frac{\partial }{\partial \mu}\Big (\frac{\partial \mu}{\partial P}\Big\rvert_T \Big )\Big\rvert_T= \frac{\partial }{\partial P}\Big (\frac{\partial \mu}{\partial \mu}\Big\rvert_T \Big )\Big\rvert_T##
I think the mistake is in the step shown above.

If ##Z## is a function of independent variables ##x## and ##y##, then the equality of mixed partials would be

1597875380024.png

Compare to your

1597875480028.png

Likes BvU and Hiero
Yeah @TSny that makes sense.

What if I don’t differentiate wrt to the dependent variable but I still hold fixed something which is not an independent variable, can I still apply equality of mixed partials? To be clear I am asking if the following is true:

## \frac{\partial }{\partial x}\Big (\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial y}\Big \rvert_{T(x,y)} \Big ) \Big \rvert_{S(x,y)}=\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\Big (\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial x}\Big \rvert_{S(x,y)} \Big ) \Big \rvert_{T(x,y)}##

(Where we might have T=S)

I have only thought about it briefly but I’m unable to prove it.

Some related thoughts;

We could assume T(x,y) is invertible so that:
##\frac{\partial Z(x,y(x,T))}{\partial x}\Big \rvert_{T} =\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial x}\Big \rvert_{y} +\Big ( \frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial y}\Big \rvert_{x} \Big ) \Big ( \frac{\partial y(x,T)}{\partial y}\Big \rvert_{T} \Big )##
And likewise using x(y,T) for the y derivative (and likewise using S in place of T)

We could also just say:
##T(x,y) = \text{constant} ##
##\implies \frac{\partial T(x,y)}{\partial x}\Big \rvert_{y}dx + \frac{\partial T(x,y)}{\partial y}\Big \rvert_{x}dy = 0 ##
##\implies \frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\Big \rvert_{T} = -\frac{\frac{\partial T(x,y)}{\partial x}\Big \rvert_{y}}{\frac{\partial T(x,y)}{\partial y}\Big \rvert_{x}}##

But I’m not sure how to use these to prove or disprove the question I just asked in this post. I’m not even sure if everything I’ve said is even sensible. At this point I feel pretty confused. Thanks for any further clarifications.

Hiero said:
## \frac{\partial }{\partial x}\Big (\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial y}\Big \rvert_{T(x,y)} \Big ) \Big \rvert_{S(x,y)}=\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\Big (\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial x}\Big \rvert_{S(x,y)} \Big ) \Big \rvert_{T(x,y)}##

I think it’s probably not true but people (at least in physics) including myself have a habit of suppressing the arguments of a function, so now I am paranoid about applying equality of mixed partials.

Hiero said:
I randomly tried the following:

##Z(x,y) = xy##
##T(x,y) = x+y##
##S(x,y) = x^2-y##

Note that ##Z(x,y)## can be expressed in terms of ##T## and ##y## as ##Z = Ty-y^2##. So, if ##T## is held constant,

##\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial y}\Big \rvert_{T(x,y)} = T-2y##

or, substituting ##T= x+y##,

##\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial y}\Big \rvert_{T(x,y)} = x-y##.

This can be expressed in terms of ##S##:

##\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial y}\Big \rvert_{T(x,y)} = x-x^2+S##

So, ## \frac{\partial }{\partial x}\Big (\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial y}\Big \rvert_{T(x,y)} \Big ) \Big \rvert_{S(x,y)} = \boxed{1-2x}##

In a similar manner, I find

##\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial x}\Big \rvert_{S(x,y)} = 2x^2+y##

and ## \frac{\partial }{\partial y}\Big (\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial x}\Big \rvert_{S(x,y)} \Big ) \Big \rvert_{T(x,y)} = \boxed{1-4x}##

If I didn't make any errors, this shows that

## \frac{\partial }{\partial x}\Big (\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial y}\Big \rvert_{T(x,y)} \Big ) \Big \rvert_{S(x,y)}\neq\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\Big (\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial x}\Big \rvert_{S(x,y)} \Big ) \Big \rvert_{T(x,y)}##

Likes BvU, Delta2 and Hiero
TSny said:
If I didn't make any errors, this shows that

## \frac{\partial }{\partial x}\Big (\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial y}\Big \rvert_{T(x,y)} \Big ) \Big \rvert_{S(x,y)}\neq\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\Big (\frac{\partial Z(x,y)}{\partial x}\Big \rvert_{S(x,y)} \Big ) \Big \rvert_{T(x,y)}##
Right, disproof by counter example. I should’ve tried that as soon as I failed to prove it. Sorry.

Thank you for taking the time!
Feel like I owe you more than just a like 😓

Likes BvU and Delta2
Hiero said:
Thank you for taking the time!
Feel like I owe you more than just a like 😓
No problem. Thermodynamics is a quicksand of partial derivatives. I feel like I'm going under at times :oldsmile:

Likes Hiero

1. What is the thermodynamic identity for a one component system?

The thermodynamic identity for a one component system is given by dU = TdS - PdV + μdN, where dU is the change in internal energy, T is temperature, dS is the change in entropy, P is pressure, dV is the change in volume, μ is the chemical potential, and dN is the change in moles of the component.

2. How is the thermodynamic identity derived for a one component system?

The thermodynamic identity is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. By considering the changes in entropy, volume, and number of moles for a one component system, the thermodynamic identity can be derived.

3. What is the significance of the thermodynamic identity in thermodynamics?

The thermodynamic identity is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that relates various thermodynamic properties, such as internal energy, entropy, and pressure, for a one component system. It allows for the calculation of one property from the knowledge of the others, making it a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of thermodynamic systems.

4. Can the thermodynamic identity be applied to multi-component systems?

Yes, the thermodynamic identity can be extended to multi-component systems by including additional terms for each component. For example, for a two-component system, the identity becomes dU = TdS - PdV + μ1dN1 + μ2dN2, where μ1 and μ2 are the chemical potentials for each component.

5. What are the limitations of the thermodynamic identity for a one component system?

The thermodynamic identity assumes that the system is in thermodynamic equilibrium, and it does not take into account any irreversible processes. It also assumes that the system is closed and does not exchange energy or matter with its surroundings. Additionally, the identity may not be applicable to systems with phase transitions or other complex behavior.