Thermodynamics: Air and Steam Mixtures

In summary, the problem involves finding the mass of water present, mass of dry saturated vapour, and mass of air in a vessel of 0.3m3 capacity containing a mixture of air and steam with a relative humidity of 0.75. Using the steam table, the mass of dry saturated vapour was determined to be 0.307kg. To find the other two masses, the partial pressure of steam (Pv) can be found using the relative humidity and the total pressure (Ptot). From there, the partial pressure of air can be calculated and converted to masses.
nightingale

Homework Statement

A vessel of 0.3m3 capacity contains a mixture of air and steam which is 0.75 dry. If the pressure is 7 bar and temperature is 116.9 degree Celsius, find: Mass of water present, mass of dry saturated vapour, mass of air.
Answer key: 0.102kg, 0.307kg, 1.394kg

Homework Equations

Relative humidity = mv/mg = Pv/Pg (pressure of vapour/ pressure of dry saturated vapour)
humidity ratio = mv/ma
Moist Volume V = total volume/mass of dry air

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to determine the mass of dry saturated vapour. The moist volume (V) of dry saturated vapour from the steam table is 0.9774m3/kg and hence:

0.9974 = volume/mass of dry saturated vapour
0.9974 = 0.3/mg
mg = 0.3069kg

I have absolutely no idea however, on how to find the other two masses. I don't understand the term 0.75 dry, I don't know how to find the mass of water (is this mass of water vapour?) without relative humidity. I'd appreciate any help. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does that mean? :

"... a mixture of air and steam which is 0.75 dry ..."

would that mean that 75% of the water is vapor and 25% is liquid ?
If this is the case, you know that the steam is saturated and you can find its partial pressure Pv.
Then you know also the partial pressure of air: Ptot - Pv = 7 - Pv .

The rest of the problem is then a simple conversion of quantities from partial pressure to masses.

Likes 1 person
Which means that the air is 100% saturated in order for the saturated vapour (Pg) to be equal to Pv. Am I correct?
Because if from the steam table I would only get Pg, not Pv. But since you said I can find Pv, that means Pg is equal to Pv?

Thank you.

nightingale said:
Which means that the air is 100% saturated in order for the saturated vapour (Pg) to be equal to Pv. Am I correct?
Because if from the steam table I would only get Pg, not Pv. But since you said I can find Pv, that means Pg is equal to Pv?

Thank you.
Yes.

Chet

Thank you, everyone!

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat and other forms of energy, and how they affect matter.

2. How does thermodynamics apply to air and steam mixtures?

Thermodynamics is essential for understanding the behavior of air and steam mixtures, as it explains the transfer of heat and energy within these systems.

3. What is the importance of air and steam mixtures in thermodynamics?

Air and steam mixtures are commonly used in various industrial processes, such as power generation and refrigeration. Understanding their thermodynamic properties is crucial for designing and optimizing these processes.

4. How do you calculate the properties of air and steam mixtures using thermodynamics?

The properties of air and steam mixtures can be calculated using a variety of thermodynamic equations, such as the ideal gas law and the steam table. These equations take into account factors such as pressure, temperature, and composition of the mixture.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics in air and steam mixtures?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in the design and operation of power plants, refrigeration systems, and heating and cooling systems. It is also used in the study of weather patterns and atmospheric phenomena, such as clouds and thunderstorms.