Thermodynamics. Find the Mass Flow Rate of the Air and the Exit Area

In summary: Using the first law of thermodynamics, the mass flow rate of air is calculated to be approximately 4 kg/s and the exit area is approximately 0.5 m2. In summary, the turbine operates at a steady state and develops a power output of 2500 kW, with negligible heat transfer and potential energy effects. The inlet velocity is small compared to the exit velocity and the mass flow rate and exit area are calculated using the first law of thermodynamics and the ideal gas equation.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Air expands through a turbine from 8 bar, 960 K to 1 bar, 450 K. The inlet velocity is small compared to the exit velocity of 90 m/s, The turbine operates at a steady state and develops a power output of 2500 kW. Heat transfer between the turbine and it's surroundings and potential energy effects are negligible. Modeling air as an ideal gas, calculate the mass flow rate of air, in kg/s, and the exit area, in m2

Homework Equations

m' = ρvA

ρ = p/RT

du = dQ - dw

h = u + pv

1Q2+m'i(hi+v2i/2 + gzi) = m'e(he + ve2/2 + gze)

p1 = 800,000 Pa
T1 = 960 K
v1 = 0m/s

p2 = 100,000 Pa
T = 450 K
v2 = 90 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Using du = dQ - dw I know that

dw = -2500 kW

I also have:

m'i(hi) = m'e(he + v2e/2)

To calculate enthalpy

h = pv

hi = 2500 kW
he = 2500 kW + (100,000 Pa)(90 m/s)
he = 11500000 W

With this information I should then be able to plug it into the large equation (The 1st law of thermodynamics I believe) and hence get mi

But when I do this I get mi = 0.2777 kg/s which isn't right. My TA said the answer is round about 4 kg/s.

Help is appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

Enthalpy is Cp*T.

Related to Thermodynamics. Find the Mass Flow Rate of the Air and the Exit Area

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies the behavior of systems and their components when subjected to changes in temperature, pressure, and other variables.

2. Why is it important to find the mass flow rate of air and the exit area in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, the mass flow rate of air and the exit area are important parameters in determining the efficiency and performance of a system. They can help us understand how much air is entering or leaving a system, and how it affects the overall energy and heat transfer processes.

3. How do you calculate the mass flow rate of air?

The mass flow rate of air can be calculated by multiplying the air density by the velocity of the air and the cross-sectional area of the flow. This can be represented by the equation: M = ρ x V x A, where M is the mass flow rate, ρ is the air density, V is the velocity of the air, and A is the cross-sectional area of the flow.

4. How do you determine the exit area in thermodynamics?

The exit area in thermodynamics can be determined by considering the conservation of mass and energy in a system. This involves analyzing the input and output of air, as well as the heat transfer and work done on the air. The exit area can also be calculated using the isentropic flow equations, which take into account the thermodynamic properties of the air and the flow conditions.

5. What are the practical applications of finding the mass flow rate of air and the exit area in thermodynamics?

Knowing the mass flow rate of air and the exit area in a system can help in the design and optimization of various engineering processes, such as in power plants, gas turbines, and HVAC systems. It can also aid in troubleshooting and improving the efficiency of these systems. Additionally, understanding these parameters can be useful in predicting and controlling the performance of thermal systems.