Thermodynamics, manipulating partial derivatives

In summary, the problem asks for expressions for V as a function of T and P, starting from the coefficients of thermal expansion and compressibility. The solution is found by separating the differentials and integrating. However, this method is not explained in the text or taught in class.
MexChemE
Hello PF! It's been a while since I last posted here. I have come across a problem in my textbook, which asks me to find expressions for V as a function of T and P, starting from the coefficients of thermal expansion and compressibility.
[tex]\alpha = \frac{1}{V} \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T} \right)_P[/tex]
[tex]\beta = -\frac{1}{V} \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P} \right)_T[/tex]
I've already solved the problem, I separated the differentials and integrated, then cleared for V. Now, here's where I have trouble. This is how I manipulated the differentials:
[tex]\alpha \ dT= \frac{1}{V} \ dV[/tex]
[tex]\beta \ dP= -\frac{1}{V} \ dV[/tex]
Both my professor, and Castellan's PChem text say this is correct, however, neither my professor nor the book explain why the separation of a partial derivative works in this case. Math professors have always said we can't "break" a partial derivative the same way we do for a regular derivative. If anyone could offer some insight about this case, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\alpha dT=\frac{dV}{V}[/tex] under the condition p=const or dp=0
[tex]\beta dP=\frac{-dV}{V}[/tex] under the condition T=const or dT=0
You need these conditions.

If V is a function V(P,T) of P and T, then
[tex]dV=\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_TdP+\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_PdT[/tex]

Chet

Thank you both! I understand now, I thought they were just magically turning the partial derivative into a regular one. I wasn't aware of how both coefficients relate to the differential of V. We haven't covered partial derivatives or differentials of multivariable functions in Calc III, my professor is going a bit slowly. But we have started to use them in Thermodynamics I, so everything I know about the subject right now is from what I have read on my own.

Oh, and I'm sorry you had to move my thread, I thought it could be posted in the physics section since I wasn't asking for help on solving the problem itself, just a doubt with the math involved, but I'll be more careful next time.

Hello there! It's great to see you actively solving problems and seeking clarification on concepts. Let me provide some insight on why the separation of partial derivatives works in this case.

Firstly, it's important to understand that partial derivatives represent the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. In other words, they tell us how a function changes when one variable changes, while keeping the others fixed.

In thermodynamics, we often deal with functions that depend on multiple variables, such as temperature (T), pressure (P), and volume (V). In your problem, you are asked to find an expression for volume (V) as a function of temperature (T) and pressure (P). This means that the volume (V) is dependent on both temperature (T) and pressure (P), and we need to take into account how it changes when either of these variables changes.

Now, let's look at the expressions for thermal expansion coefficient (\alpha) and compressibility (\beta) that you provided. These are defined as the ratio of the change in volume to the original volume, when temperature (T) or pressure (P) changes, respectively. In other words, they are partial derivatives of volume (V) with respect to temperature (T) and pressure (P). Therefore, we can write:

\alpha = \frac{1}{V} \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T} \right)_P
\beta = \frac{1}{V} \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P} \right)_T

Now, let's look at the manipulation of differentials that you did. You multiplied both sides of the equations by the differentials (dT and dP) and rearranged them to get:

\alpha \ dT= \frac{1}{V} \ dV
\beta \ dP= \frac{1}{V} \ dV

This is a valid manipulation, as we can treat the differentials (dT and dP) as independent variables, while keeping the partial derivatives as constants. This is because the differentials represent small changes in temperature and pressure, which can be treated as independent variables in this case. Therefore, we can separate the partial derivative from the differential and treat it like a regular derivative.

I hope this explanation helps you understand why the separation of partial derivatives works in this case. Keep up the good work and don

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships and conversions between heat, energy, and work.

2. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are the derivatives of multivariable functions with respect to one of the variables while holding the other variables constant. They are useful in thermodynamics for analyzing changes in a system with multiple variables.

3. How are partial derivatives used in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, partial derivatives are used to calculate the rates of change of thermodynamic properties such as temperature, pressure, and volume. They are also used to determine the relationships between these properties in a system.

4. Can partial derivatives be manipulated?

Yes, partial derivatives can be manipulated using various mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations allow for the simplification and manipulation of equations in thermodynamics.

5. What are some common applications of manipulating partial derivatives in thermodynamics?

Manipulating partial derivatives is commonly used in thermodynamics to analyze and predict the behavior of systems in various processes, such as heat transfer, phase transitions, and chemical reactions. It also plays a crucial role in the design and optimization of thermodynamic systems and processes.