Thermodynamics pressure reaction question

In summary, the question is asking to calculate the values of deltaH, deltaU, q, and w per mole of oxygen consumed in a reaction between 2.00 mol of SO2 and O2 in a constant pressure reactor. The only remaining material in the reactor after the reaction is complete is SO3 at 25 degrees celsius, with a constant pressure of 101kPa and 198 kJ of energy released as heat. The temperature is assumed to be constant at 25 degrees celsius and the process does not have to be adiabatic. The solution involves using the equations deltaH = deltaU + delta(PV) and delta(PV) = RTdelta(n).
thatoneguy6531
So the question is: When 2.00 mol of SO2 reacts completely with 02 in a constant pressure reactor, the only material left in the reactor once the reaction has stopped is SO3 at 25 degrees celsius. The constant pressure in the reactor was 101kPa and 198 kJ of energy is released as heat. Assume Psys=Pext throughout the process. Calculate deltaH, deltaU, q and w per mole of O2 consumed for this reaction.

So I know q = deltaH = -198kJ since its a constant pressure process and I know to solve for deltaU I use:
deltaH = delta U + delta(PV) and in the solution apparently the delta(PV) = RTdelta(n). What I don't understand is why the temperature is assumed to be constant at 25 degrees celsius.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
thatoneguy6531 said:
What I don't understand is why the temperature is assumed to be constant at 25 degrees celsius.

Process doesn't have to adiabatic.

1. What is thermodynamics pressure reaction?

Thermodynamics pressure reaction is the study of the relationship between pressure, temperature, and volume of a system and how they affect the behavior of matter. It helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed within a system, and how this affects the state of the system.

2. How does pressure affect a thermodynamic reaction?

Pressure can affect a thermodynamic reaction in several ways. For example, an increase in pressure can cause gases to become more dense and decrease in volume, leading to an increase in temperature. This can also influence the equilibrium state of a chemical reaction, as changes in pressure can shift the reaction in one direction or another.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to thermodynamics pressure reaction?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of gas in a system. It states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the product of temperature and the number of moles of gas. This equation is often used in thermodynamics to calculate the behavior of gases under different conditions.

4. How does pressure affect the phase changes of a substance?

Changes in pressure can affect the phase of a substance by altering the balance of forces between the molecules. For example, increasing the pressure on a liquid can cause it to transition into a solid, as the increased pressure forces the molecules closer together. Similarly, decreasing pressure on a gas can cause it to condense into a liquid.

5. How can we use thermodynamics pressure reaction in real-world applications?

Thermodynamics pressure reaction has countless real-world applications, from designing efficient engines and refrigeration systems, to understanding the behavior of materials under extreme conditions. It is also essential in the fields of chemistry, physics, and engineering, and is used in the development of new technologies and materials.