Thermodynamics problem -- Steam cooled until it is just dry saturated

In summary, the problem involves a rigid vessel initially containing steam at 25 bar and 450 degrees Celsius, which is then cooled until it becomes dry saturated. The task is to calculate the final mass, pressure, and heat rejected during the process. The specific volume of the steam is used to determine the mass, and the final pressure can be determined using steam tables. The key to finding the heat rejected is the word "rigid" in the problem statement, which means that the work done by the steam on the vessel is equal to the change in internal energy. The final state can be precisely pinpointed in the steam tables using the known specific volume, which allows for the calculation of the internal energy.
shobaky
"HOMEWORK" PROBLEM ORIGINALLY POSTED IN WRONG FORUM, SO NO TEMPLATE

a rigid vessel of volume 1m^3 contains steam at 25 bar and 450c the vessel is cooled until the steam is just dry saturated calculate the mass in the vessel the final pressure and the heat rejected during the process?
i know i have to use the temperature table i tried to solve it i just want to make sure that i clearly understand .. thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem?

no that's a problem my professor solved it in today's lecture but i didn't clearly understand so i tried to solve it again but my fault is that i didn't write the final answers :/

shobaky said:
no that's a problem my professor solved it in today's lecture but i didn't clearly understand so i tried to solve it again but my fault is that i didn't write the final answers :/
This is still a homework-like problem, so I am moving it to the homework forums (Engineering and Computer Science).

In the initial state, from your steam tables, what is the specific volume of your superheated steam?

it's .13

shobaky said:
it's .13
So, based on this, what is the mass of water in the vessel?

i think it's V/v so it's 7.69 kg i could calculate the mass and the final pressure , i amn't sure though, but my main problem is with the heat rejected

shobaky said:
i think it's V/v so it's 7.69 kg i could calculate the mass and the final pressure , i amn't sure though, but my main problem is with the heat rejected
How did you determine the final pressure? What is the specific volume in the final saturated state?

first of all thanks of your attention and for your time...
the specific volume is constant right? so the pressure can be determined from the table as v(double dash) = .13?

shobaky said:
first of all thanks of your attention and for your time...
the specific volume is constant right? so the pressure can be determined from the table as v(double dash) = .13?
Excellent. So you know the final state. The key to getting the rejected heat is the word "rigid" in the problem statement. How much work does the steam do on the rigid vessel in this problem? From the first law, what does that tell you about the relationship between the change in internal energy and the heat?

do you mean it's a closed system so i have to use the equation " delta h = delta u + delta P * v" ?? then i have to determine delta h from the table and i know the value of specific volume and of course i can determine delta p .. am i right? :/ .. thanks in advance

shobaky said:
do you mean it's a closed system so i have to use the equation " delta h = delta u + delta P * v" ?? then i have to determine delta h from the table and i know the value of specific volume and of course i can determine delta p .. am i right? :/ .. thanks in advance
No. I mean that $$\Delta U=Q$$

yes but how can i calculate the delta U :/ ?

shobaky said:
yes but how can i calculate the delta U :/ ?
You know everything about the initial state, so you know the internal energy for that.

For the final state, you know that it is dry saturated, and you know its specific volume, so you should be able to precisely pinpoint this state in your steam tables. You can then determine its internal energy.

Chestermiller said:
You know everything about the initial state, so you know the internal energy for that.

For the final state, you know that it is dry saturated, and you know its specific volume, so you should be able to precisely pinpoint this state in your steam tables. You can then determine its internal energy.

oh i got your point .. Thanks a lot i really appreciate your valuable time

1. What is the definition of dry saturated steam in thermodynamics?

Dry saturated steam refers to steam that is completely vaporized and contains no moisture or liquid water. It exists at the saturation point on a temperature-entropy graph, where the steam's temperature and entropy are at their maximum for a given pressure.

2. How is the cooling of steam related to thermodynamics?

The cooling of steam is a thermodynamic process that involves the transfer of energy from the steam to its surroundings. This transfer of energy causes the steam to condense and lose its heat and temperature, ultimately reaching a state of dry saturation.

3. What factors affect the cooling of steam in a thermodynamics problem?

The cooling of steam is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature and pressure of the steam, the surrounding temperature and pressure, and the rate of heat transfer between the steam and its surroundings.

4. What happens to the properties of steam as it cools and reaches dry saturation?

As steam cools and reaches dry saturation, its temperature and pressure decrease while its entropy remains constant. This means that the steam's specific volume and enthalpy will also decrease, and it will become a mixture of saturated vapor and liquid water.

5. How is the state of dry saturated steam represented in a thermodynamics problem?

In a thermodynamics problem, the state of dry saturated steam is typically represented by a point on a temperature-entropy graph, where the steam's temperature and entropy values correspond to the saturation point for a given pressure. It can also be represented by a mixture of saturated vapor and liquid water on a pressure-enthalpy diagram.